• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Flintstone Cicarelli

Class and Hockey.

Rate this topic

No offense, but this reads like a bad assignment for an intro to college writing course.

Lucky me, it is only extra credit so it can only help my grade, not hurt it.

But, for fun...what is a bad assignment? Or did you mean i was assigned a writng project and came up wiht a bad product to tuen in?

Edited by Flintstone Cicarelli

You need to learn what a strawman is. The need to or the strategy behind Hossa's hit has nothing to do with how classless it might be. And thank you fo helping to solidify the original point ever more. The fact that Hossa had even less of a reason to perpetrate such a ridiculous act might add to the classless factor. One might argue that the Penss at least had a message to send and some frustration to let loose of.

Ugh, it's that kinda crap I can't stand. An elbow to the head only sends the message that you are frustrated. Doesn't accomplish anything on the ice other than put your team in the box for even more PK time. At least agaist a veteran, experienced team like the Red Wings. Maybe younger teams are affected and intimidated by the "message" an elbow sends? Regardless, the best way to send a message and blow off some frustration is to score, play better defense, be more disciplines, and win the game.

It's laughable that an elbow is argued to perhaps be more classy out of petulant frustration that it might be if unintentional in the midst of fighting for the puck and a good scoring chance!

Ugh, it's that kinda crap I can't stand. An elbow to the head only sends the message that you are frustrated. Doesn't accomplish anything on the ice other than put your team in the box for even more PK time. At least agaist a veteran, experienced team like the Red Wings. Maybe younger teams are affected and intimidated by the "message" an elbow sends? Regardless, the best way to send a message and blow off some frustration is to score, play better defense, be more disciplines, and win the game.

It's laughable that an elbow is argued to perhaps be more classy out of petulant frustration that it might be if unintentional in the midst of fighting for the puck and a good scoring chance!

And thank you or helping the cause. We are starting to see how different views of the same action build different opinions and draw different pictures of that event.

Oh, are you under the impression that I buy either side's take?

Edited by Flintstone Cicarelli

And thank you or helping the cause. We are starting to see how different views of the same action build different opinions and draw different pictures of that event.

Oh, are you under the impression that I buy either side's take?

No, not really thinking you buy either side's take... more enjoying starting a conversation and keeping it boiling! ;)

I totally, 100% agree that difference viewpoints yield different interpretations - look at Pens board blaming 80% on referees stealing their mojo in game 5. I just argue how much skewing is reasonable. No idea how to stop it, but wish it was a tad less. And I'm guilty of skewing more than I would like to once in a while!

At least a lot of people have passion. In this economy, I think we all need something nicer to think about than our houses and jobs.

5-star just because half the people here are getting angry because they can't comprehend.

It's not so much that he is not understood. To me it's:

1. The arrogant and exhausting way he chose to say he thinks that there is no place in hockey for class.

2. Determining if someone is a classy or dirty player is determined solely by your team affiliation.

The whole post was a total waste of pixels.

It's not so much that he is not understood. To me it's:

And of course the 4 or 5 people on page 1 who claimed they didn't understand the post wasn't any kind of evidence to sink your theory? Try again, chappy.

1. The arrogant and exhausting way he chose to say he thinks that there is no place in hockey for class.

And then you follow it up with a #1 that proves you fully missed the point. Great start there, pal.

2. Determining if someone is a classy or dirty player is determined solely by your team affiliation.

Wow, 0-3, guy. You have to be actually trying hard to be this off.

The whole post was a total waste of pixels.

Yet, you feel compelled to comment? Now, who wasted pixels?

For those of you who just joined this thread and don't want to read back over seven pages, I'll summarize it for you:

Poster makes valid point, but uses big words.

People complain they don't understand.

OP is condescending.

Some people who do understand are amused.

Other people are offended that the OP is condescending.

A few people attempt to discuss the original topic.

Offended people and people who are amused shush those who attempt to discuss.

Topic is off limits for discussion.

Thread descends from there and becomes funny to all except those who don't understand why it's funny.

It's like Sienfeld. A thread about nothing.

Edited by 55fan

For those of you who just joined this thread and don't want to read back over seven pages, I'll summarize it for you:

Poster makes valid point, but uses big words.

People complain they don't understand.

OP is condescending.

Some people who do understand are amused.

Other people are offended that the OP is condescending.

A few people attempt to discuss the original topic.

Offended people and people who are amused shush those who attempt to discuss.

Topic is off limits for discussion.

Thread descends from there and becomes funny to all except those who don't understand why it's funny.

It's like Sienfeld. A thread about nothing.

How 'bout dem Wings? ;)

Edited by MidMichSteve

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I admit I did not bother to read all 7 pages of this thread.

I will say that I didn't find the OP's post to be that difficult to understand. I was quite shocked that the immediate responses from Wings fans seemed to be that they could not comprehend the OP's post. To that I would wonder, what the hell is so difficult to understand?

I don't know what this thread has devolved into. But as for the OP's 1st post. I couldn't agree more. I made a comment in another thread I believe about how the word "class" is completely and utterly overused by message boards.

It's gotten to the point of absolute hilarity, with message board fans getting on their proverbial high horses and spouting off about how "classless" other teams' player and/or fans are. And those fans of the other team regurgitating the same absurdities.

As I said in that other thread. This is hockey and not ******* charm school. It's a battle out there. It's heated. It's a fast-moving, emotionally charged, violent sport. Between the whistles has got nothing to do with class.

I'm so sick of hearing people preach about class in this context. It's just dumb.

Guest micah

There are very few posters on this board who I would guess to be good, honest people. GS&T and 55Fan are among the few.

The OP is right-on and has a cool username.

Me? I liked the late-game goonery by the Pens and hoped the Wings would retaliate in kind. I liked Hossa's cheapshot on the goalie. I like attitude and I like violence in hockey. I don't think that there are either teams or fan-cities that are markedly more or less classy than others. My favorite players were not terribly classy.

I'm a Red Wings fan, therefore I have the most scorn for Red Wings players. I often call them out for this or that. I do this because I love the team. I don't care what Crosby does, I'm not a Penguins fan. I don't care what Pronger does, I'm not a ducks fan. I care what the wings players do. When they do good, I applaud them. When they cower away from a fight because they're cowards and weaklings, I call them on it.

I love this team, so I hold them to a high standard, just like I do with myself.