• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dat's sick

Time to grade the Wings players

Rate this topic

As the topic says, grade all the Wings by their overall performance this year. Take into account both regular season and playoffs.

A+

Darren Helm - I WANT HIM ON THE ICE FOR 82+ NHL GAMES NEXT YEAR.

A

Datsyuk - Fantastic regular season. For a few months in the middle of the season he was without much doubt the hottest player in the league. Cooled down a bit towards the end and wasn't quite himself in the playoffs, even before the injury. On the whole, a magnificent year by him.

A-

Zetterberg - Disappointing regular season by his standards, but still solid. Great in the playoffs, and fantastic in the SCF.

B+

Ericsson - Came in looking like a veteran. Showed some rookie-tendencies towards the end of the playoffs, but still played better than I think anyone could have expected him to.

Leino - Maybe not ready for playoff hockey just yet, but played like a future superstar in his reg. season games.

Franzen/Hossa - Overall they both had good years. But some more consistancy would have been nice, and both of them disappeared when we needed them in the SCF.

Lilja - Was one of our most solid defensemen until he got injured.

B

Conklin - Saved the team when Ozzie was struggling. Seemed to play a lot worse towards the end of the season though.

Lidstrom - As always you have huge expectations on him. This year he seemed to struggle a bit more than usual, maybe due to some injuries (elbow, face, testies), but still had a good year and I personally would not be surprised if he gets his 7th Norris next week.

Rafalski - Nothing really out of the ordinary. Did his job quietly and well.

B-

Filppula - If I based this only on the playoffs, he'd have an A easily. But his regular season was not at all up to my expectations. I hope we see the playoff-Fil for the entire next season.

Hudler - Was great for a stretch in the regular season, and other than that had some good games every now and then but too rarely for my tastes. Did some nice things in the playoffs (Game 4 Columbus) but was pretty anonymous most of the time.

C+

Lebda - Surprisingly solid.

Abdelkader - imo wasn't standing out much until those goals in the SCF. but I look forward to seeing more of him.

Osgood - Obviously a night/day season for him. That regular season prevents me from giving him a higher grade, but his playoff performance was A+.

C

Samuelsson - Is a good value for the money he earns. Sometimes frustrates the hell out of me, especially on the PP, but he's a good depth player that won't be lacking offers if we can't keep him.

Cleary - Might seem low to some, but I did not like him in the reg. season. Raised his game A LOT in the playoffs though.

C-

Kronwall - What happened to the guy that was so amazing in the last year's playoffs? 51 points and the hit on Havlat keep me from giving him a worse grade.

D+

Holmstrom - Had a rough year. Still did some good work in front of the net, but didn't get as much out of it as he usually does.

D

Stuart - A very good playoffs except for you know what. Horrible regular season.

Kopecky - .... can't think of anything to even say about him.

D-

Draper/Maltby - terrible reg. season. didn't make much of an impact in the playoffs.

Chelios - really looked his age alot of the time.

F

Howard

Meech

I'd give Maltby a D or D+. While he didn't do much in the regular season, he was playing like a man possessed in the playoffs.

Chelios I would give an Incomplete- he didn't play enough to really score him.

No debate on Helm. I want him inked long term.

As the topic says, grade all the Wings by their overall performance this year. Take into account both regular season and playoffs.

F

Meech

i thought meech was good during the season. obviously better than chelios, and i wouldnt mind seeing him competing for the 6th spot, ericcson of course being 5 or 6 depending on the lilya situation.

id give meech a C-, did not do anything great, but also not terrible. still has learning to do and im looking forward to seeing him develop.

Harsh on Maltby. His regular season wasn't great, but what kind of impact did you want from him in the playoffs? This isn't 1997, we can't rely on our Grind Line for timely goals. As far as I'm concerned, he was throwing his weight around, trying to draw penalties, and irritating Crosby. Ranking system is tricky... Do you rank them by how good they were overall, or to what extent they performed better/worse than what you expected? Very different.

I don't quite know why you can give Leino a B+ for what is essentially potential only at this point.

I'd give him an incomplete. He didn't really play enough to get a grade.

Well I tried to give each player a grade, regardless of how little they played. Leino was so good in his 10-15 games that I think he deserves mention.

You can't compare his grade to guys like Hudler, Franzen etc. that played the whole year. I just thought he did an awesome job in the time he was up.

You got some really weird grades there - fellow swede.

You're free to contribute with more specific thoughts and your own grades, but whatever. This is just my opinion.

Harsh on Maltby. His regular season wasn't great, but what kind of impact did you want from him in the playoffs? This isn't 1997, we can't rely on our Grind Line for timely goals. As far as I'm concerned, he was throwing his weight around, trying to draw penalties, and irritating Crosby. Ranking system is tricky... Do you rank them by how good they were overall, or to what extent they performed better/worse than what you expected? Very different.

Maltby pretty much gets an F for his regular season from me. He played better in the playoffs, maybe at a C- or D+ level. Which evens out to about a D- overall.

I ranked them by how good they were overall in the games that they played, but also took into account how they compared to what my expectations were on them. Which is why Lilja and Ericsson have a better grade then Lids and Raffi. While the first two far exceeded my hopes for them, the latter two, Lids especially, weren't quite up to their standard imo. On closer thought I was maybe a bit hard on Lids, but again my expectations on him are unreal. I think my biggest disappointment with him is that we didn't see more of his great slapshot in the playoffs.

Darren Helm A++++++ Amazing kid, hope he's with us for a long time. Never let us down, ever.

Datsyuk A+ The guy was unreal in the regular season, but disappeared in the playoffs offensively. His magnificent defensive play stops his grade from dropping to A.

Zetterberg B+ Poor regular season. Unbelievable defensively in the playoffs but again, until Pittsburgh, he didn't really do what he could have.

Osgood B+ Yeah, he had a horrible season, but that massive turaround has to bump him up a few grades.

Ericcson B+ Stepped up when we needed him, but he did make a few rookie mistakes. But for an inexperienced rookie he stands among the best.

Franzen B Solid regular season, he's officially one of the best in the league. Led the team again in the playoffs but was still below par. Looking back, the whole team (as individuals) really were a little less than expected.

Hossa B Amazing regular season. We were as high as #2 because of him. But his disappearing act was unexplainable in the playoffs. Still solid in the other areas, though, so I won't be too hard on him. Partly because I feel this whole year was a fluke and EVERYONE seemed to be snakebit. It was clearly a team thing, not a particular individual just suddenly sucking.

Lilja B He's not the best player on our team but he's probably Most Improved. We really needed his shot blocking.

Conklin B Helped the team through the goaltending debacle in the regular season.

Lidstrom B Not his best season, but like I said, everyone had a fluky year so something must explain it. Was unreal for us in the playoffs though. Still the best.

Rafalski B Solid as always. Quiet but excellent for us, except for a few mistakes.

Stuart B Solid. Mediocre regular season, then one of our best defensemen in the playoffs.

Hudler B- Really had us convinced he was going to be great. Then disappeared.

Abdelkader B- Did well, considering, but he still needs some seasoning.

Sammy B- Solid, unspectacular, about what we expect. But damn his timing and lack of physicality!

Clearly B- Mediocre year, even with the great playoffs. Again, whole team snakebit.

Kronwall B- Wow, he really struggled. But still a solid defenseman.

Chelios B- For what we expect of him, he performed above expectations.

Flip C+ Didn't really do anything all year.

Lebda C- Horrible year until the end, and then he was only solid.

Meech C- Didn't do anything to instill confidence in me.

Holmstrom D Did nothing. All year. Makes me sad.

Draper D I'm not one of those guys who was hammering away at our "legacy" players for being old. That's not my style. But Draper and Maltby really struggled this year. They really showed their age and decline, which makes me sad.

Kopecky E-------- useless, as always.

i thought meech was good during the season. obviously better than chelios, and i wouldnt mind seeing him competing for the 6th spot, ericcson of course being 5 or 6 depending on the lilya situation.

id give meech a C-, did not do anything great, but also not terrible. still has learning to do and im looking forward to seeing him develop.

Chelios was +1

Meech was -12

Edited by Number19

Guest mindfly

How can you give ericsson a B+ he and most other Dmen were liabilities in their own end