• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings1110

The Joe

Rate this topic

Last news was that the Ilitch's chose not to re-new the long term 20 year lease of the Joe with the City of Detroit...Basically they're gonna have to work out a short term (probably 3 to 6 year) lease that'll allow the Ilitch's time to build a new arena by the FOX Theatre (something that's been talked about for some time).

Problem is that the Ilitch's are/were hoping for tax payer $$$ to help pay for the new home of our beloved Red Wings; with the current economy I doubt any taxpayer $$$, or $$$ from the city/county/state will be spent for the arena.

Mike had the city over a barrel with that lucrative franchise-favored lease. by not taking the renewable option, you can surely bet Ilitch has done so for some special considerations down the road...

It's been said that if Ilitch had signed on for an aditional 20 years - the deal would've been even sweeter...With the current economy in Michigan I doubt Ilitch will get the $$$ he's hoping for.

I am hoping they get a new arena. I doubt the city will pay for it but if Illitch wanted to fork over some money now. I am sure he could pull it off if he really wanted to it that badly. So far I think Bill Davidson is the ONLY owner I think who paid for his arena in full with out tax payer help.

I am hoping they get a new arena. I doubt the city will pay for it but if Illitch wanted to fork over some money now. I am sure he could pull it off if he really wanted to it that badly. So far I think Bill Davidson is the ONLY owner I think who paid for his arena in full with out tax payer help.

The city is on the verge of backruptcy. Illitch will not get any money from them. They don't have it. Best bet is for them to sell bonds for it or a regional tax like how they are going to finance the Cobo renovation. I'm not hopeful though. The priority with the city is clearly Cobo.

Maybe they can get Synagro to kick in some money............