• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingnut7781

First trip to JLA

Rate this topic

I'm making my first trip to JLA tommorow. My friends and I are looking for a sports bar close to JLA to catch some college football and eat before the game. Hopefully something within walking distance (of Doubletree Inn, or JLA), or close to the people mover. Any suggestions?

I'm making my first trip to JLA tommorow. My friends and I are looking for a sports bar close to JLA to catch some college football and eat before the game. Hopefully something within walking distance (of Doubletree Inn, or JLA), or close to the people mover. Any suggestions?

get on the people mover at the joe and get off at the grand circus park station and go to cheli's chili would be my suggestion.

also hockeytown cafe is by there too. Im not from Detroit but this is what I do when I go to games and it's always a fun time

Edited by redwingfan19

If your at the Double tree your closest bars are the hotel bar and the Anchor Bar which is 1 block away. Niether are much for sports bars, but both have the TV's. Anchor is a bit of a dive, but a fun dive after games. I go there often. Your best bet is to jump on the people Mover and go to hockey Town, Chelie's or into greektown. The people move will be two blocks from the Double tree and a close stop for Hockeytown and Chelie's.

yea i was going to say chelis. pretty cheap i think too. hockeytown cafe seems little expensive, though good drinks and food, both have great atmosphere. cheli's in detroit is a little small though. (been to all three)

Edited by hokeychik22

I'm not from Detroit but I've got to a ton of Red Wings games so I've been to all of the mentioned places. If I were you I would to Hockeytown Cafe before the game because there's a bucnh of cool s*** in there, it's right by the ppl mover and it'll get you pumped for the game. Chelli's is pretty sweet too but I don't think the food is as good. If you're going to go to Cobo Joes I would go after the game. It's super close to the Joe and there'll be a bunch of ppl, especially if the Wings win.

It was an amazing trip. We arrived in Detroit later than expected. So we decided to hit Cobo Joe's. The food was great, and lightning quick. The atmosphere got us pumped for the game. Seeing the Joe for the first time gave me goose bumps. I might loose my man card for this, but i teared up when i saw the Banners. I hae been to other NHL games, but there is nothing like the Joe. Hearing the "Let's Go Wings" chant, and "Don't stop believing" was AMAZING!! And then i "donated" my winter classic hat to Hank's hat trick. It was a perfect night all the way around.

The only downside of the night. We were surprised how dead downtown was after the game. We were looking to party a bit. And everything, except Cobo Joe's was closed or closing. We did catch a quick bite at Cheli's, but they closed at 12.

Any ideas on where to hit next time we come?