• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

Pretty soon - Who are the THREE odd men out?

Rate this topic

I still think it's too early to say what will happen. We have a lot of hockey to play and some of the guys in question could continue to get some solid minutes between now and when Franzen, Williams, Kronwall and Ericsson are ready.

I like Drew Miller but that boy needs to put on so weight, he's listed at 6'2" 178lbs on yahoo and on his wikipedia profile his weight is 165lbs. Anyone 6"2" should be atleast 195. Hell, Zetterberg is 5"11 and he weighs 195.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm facinated with his physical build but I think he would be a much more effective player if he bulked up a bit.

I still think it's too early to say what will happen. We have a lot of hockey to play and some of the guys in question could continue to get some solid minutes between now and when Franzen, Williams, Kronwall and Ericsson are ready.

I like Drew Miller but that boy needs to put on so weight, he's listed at 6'2" 178lbs on yahoo and on his wikipedia profile his weight is 165lbs. Anyone 6"2" should be atleast 195. Hell, Zetterberg is 5"11 and he weighs 195.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm facinated with his physical build but I think he would be a much more effective player if he bulked up a bit.

look at his brother Ryan - some guys are just naturally lanky... he plays strong, so I wouldn't focus on his weight too much, but I agree... it would be nice if he was towing around a 210lb frame to go with that speed...

any one of those guys with the exception of lebda deserve to stay more than leino. It's not all about scoring goals, which leino hasn't done it's about working your ass off every night which leino hasn't done either. I assume your one of the people who thought leino would score over 20 goals this season. Take off the finnish homer glasses man
Wrong. I never wasn't one of those and if you'd read the previous posts in this topic you'd know that I've been a Red Wings fan since -99, and there were no Finns here back then. (hate to say same things again and again, but some people just don't seem to get it)

I think Leino can improve and be a decent player for our 3rd line along with Miller. As said before, May doesn't have anything for the future. It's not always about deserving in this game, it's also about talent and skill, not just hard work. Just like it's in the real life.

Wrong. I never wasn't one of those and if you'd read the previous posts in this topic you'd know that I've been a Red Wings fan since -99, and there were no Finns here back then. (hate to say same things again and again, but some people just don't seem to get it)

I think Leino can improve and be a decent player for our 3rd line along with Miller. As said before, May doesn't have anything for the future. It's not always about deserving in this game, it's also about talent and skill, not just hard work. Just like it's in the real life.

May keeps teams honest, something our skill players (and Zetterberg's back) need and the fact that he is a strong forechecker and not just a goon, but a solid hockey player otherwise, just adds to his value... plus the fact that he is a GREAT team/locker room guy...

Also, it's not always just about the future, but the present as well...

Edited by stevkrause

May keeps teams honest, something our skill players (and Zetterberg's back) need and the fact that he is a strong forechecker and not just a goon, but a solid hockey player otherwise, just adds to his value... plus the fact that he is a GREAT team/locker room guy...

Also, it's not always just about the future, but the present as well...

Future and present combined, Leino is the better choice.

you just don't get it. Leino is not a 3rd line player he is supposed to be a top six player and is not getting the job done. He has had chance after chance with all the injuries and has not capitalized. If he had any sort of work ethic we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

this is all moot anyway, until leino gets stronger and improves his skating he will NEVER be an NHLer

Holland needs to keep Drew Miller. What he does with May, Lebda, Meech, Janik, I don't care... but Drew Miller should stay!

that's just because you don't want to have to change your user name/avatar, haha

no but seriously, I'd be majorly bummed if they let him go too, I think he could be a solid piece in this organization for years to come and love his game...

Guest malelion55
:rolleyes: Holmstrom,Draper,Maltby sent down, Lidstrom,Rafalski and Cleary scratched. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

you just don't get it. Leino is not a 3rd line player he is supposed to be a top six player and is not getting the job done. He has had chance after chance with all the injuries and has not capitalized. If he had any sort of work ethic we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

this is all moot anyway, until leino gets stronger and improves his skating he will NEVER be an NHLer

and THIS is why I disagree with continuing the Leino experiment - all reasons stated above.

look at his brother Ryan - some guys are just naturally lanky... he plays strong, so I wouldn't focus on his weight too much, but I agree... it would be nice if he was towing around a 210lb frame to go with that speed...

If my information is accurate, they are almost identical in build, Ryan is actually a little heavier, but goalies (HOF goalies no less, see Hasek) can get away with being lanky. At lot of guys with his height are over 200lbs, Perry, Kopecky and those guys are what I would consider as lanky players.

Again, I really like they way he has payed. I just hope if we resign Drew Miller, he puts on some weight over the summer, or before the playoffs.

Edited by b-random

Is Williams a 3rd line player then? Obviously Holland and Babcock have build this team to match Babcock's playing style. If you wanna play puck control modern hockey you probably wanna have more lines that actually play with the puck rather than dumping and chasing.

If my information is accurate, they are almost identical in build but goalies (HOF goalies no less, see Hasek) can get away with being lanky. At lot of guys with his height are over 200lbs, Perry, Kopecky...

Again, I really like they way he has payed. I just hope if we resign Drew Miller, he puts on some weight over the summer, or before the playoffs.

well unfortunately, by 25, most guys body structure is pretty much what they will be barring some MAJOR changes (steroids, getting fat, etc) and the guy is an NHL'er with an amazing work ethic, so I highly doubt he hasn't hit the weights hard up to this point... he is just probably never going to be a guy able to put on bulk... I'd be happy with 185 from him...

Is Williams a 3rd line player then? Obviously Holland and Babcock have build this team to match Babcock's playing style. If you wanna play puck control modern hockey you probably wanna have more lines that actually play with the puck rather than dumping and chasing.

Yes. What do you think Williams is????

Does anyone remember how Leino looked with Filppula and Williams earlier in the season? Since the injuries, Leino couldn't handle the pressure. What a worthless rookie! Everyone know's any and all rookies should be the savior of the team when a majority of our top players are out. Leino is a bum for not proving he is the rookie of the year on a depleted Red Wings team.

Does anyone remember how Leino looked with Filppula and Williams earlier in the season? Since the injuries, Leino couldn't handle the pressure. What a worthless rookie! Everyone know's any and all rookies should be the savior of the team when a majority of our top players are out. Leino is a bum for not proving he is the rookie of the year on a depleted Red Wings team.

rookie is a subjective word in this case - already 25, spent years in SM-Liga and was voted a league MVP and REFUSED a 2 way contract coming into this year - with that build up, you better produce quickly...

lets not pretend like he's a 19 year old kid coming out of juniors and expected to put up major numbers

rookie is a subjective word in this case - already 25, spent years in SM-Liga and was voted a league MVP and REFUSED a 2 way contract coming into this year - with that build up, you better produce quickly...

lets not pretend like he's a 19 year old kid coming out of juniors and expected to put up major numbers

Everything is subjective. Some players max their potential at older age. Babcock said himself that he's a late bloomer.

Yes. What do you think Williams is????
He's not a 3rd line type player anymore than Leino is. Maybe not good enough for 2nd line in this team, but still not defensively good enough for 3rd and 4th lines in SOME teams. Luckily, this is a puck possession team which actually PLAYS hockey. That's why we can have Leino-Filppula-Williams as our 3rd line as we did in the start of the season.