• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Detroit Red Wings, 2011 Stanley Cup Champions

Rate this topic

I'm a bit worried actually. We've had the same team more or less for the past 4 seasons. Sure, the results have been good, I'm not pissed at all they lost. BUT this team a year from now WILL lose to the Sharks again. The Sharks were better, and yes, if Game 2 wasn't so poorly officiated, maybe it would be a different series. The 4-1 doesn't represent how close each of the games were. But Hudler isn't going to bring this team to the next level. We need an overhaul of the 3rd and 4th lines. I like Eaves, I like Miller. But we need a bit of goal scoring from those lines. Those lines were SILENT. They created good chances, but couldn't finish.

Basically my worry is the Wings don't have any top forward prospects down the line, the next "Franzen" you could say, a potential 2nd/3rd line player. That's my worry. The D prospects are good, the goalie prospects are good. But the forwards aren't. We need fresh guys, some pro SHOT BLOCKERS, some real grinders to do with Helm and Aby. We need fresh blood.

:clap: couldn't have said it better myself.Any wish list for grinders this summer?

If Kenny manages to re-sign all of Lidstrom, Lilja, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Helm, Eaves, Miller, Abdelkader and Ritola, then the Wings would have a full 23-man roster.

You can mix and match in so many ways. My highest personal preference to start next season are at the top of the list while the thumbs up decrease as the list goes down:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Filppula-Franzen

Hudler-Abdelkader-Cleary

Miller-Helm-Eaves

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Filppula-Zetterberg-Franzen

Hudler-Abdelkader-Eaves

Cleary-Helm-Miller

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Franzen

Cleary-Helm-Eaves

Hudler-Abdelkader-Miller

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Zetterberg-Franzen

Hudler-Filppula-Miller

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves

My general preferences are that the Wings have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi and Filppula as the primary top six forwards; Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen of course for obvious reasons, Holmstrom and Bertuzzi simply because they can't really play in the bottom six and Filppula because they can't ignore his strong two-way play anymore. He deserves a more permanent spot within the top six.

I don't really think the 3rd and 4th line center positions are all that much different from each other in regards to TOI. I simply give Abdelkader the nod for 3rd line center because his scoring touch is better than Helm's.

Edited by titanium2

I don't really think the 3rd and 4th line center positions are all that much different from each other in regards to TOI. I simply give Abdelkader the nod for 3rd line center because his scoring touch is better than Helm's.

It pains me to see Hudler on a line centered by Abdelkader or Helm. It would be better if they didn't re-sign one of Miller or Eaves and tried to get another more offensively oriented player to make a third scoring line. Or not re-sign Bertuzzi (I assume he'd be the odd man out over Homer) and go with two solid scoring lines and try to make the checking lines as tough to play against as possible.

Guest blueadams

Here's how I see things shaking out...

FORWARDS:

1) Franzen - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

2) Filppula - Zetterberg - Cleary or *TRADE

3) Hudler - Helm - Bertuzzi or *FREE AGENT

...Babcock's production lines each need three things: 1) a great two-way center; 2) a net presence; and 3) a second scoring forward with puck skills. Let's put three together this season.

Two-way Centers:

1-Datsyuk-Mhm.

2-Zetterberg-Mhm.

3-Helm-There was a time when I thought that Helm's potential was Draper 2.0. But lately, I've been starting to see a young, poor-man's Zetterberg out there. Outstanding defender, and he's starting to develop some hands. I like what I see.

Net-Presences:

1-Holmstrom-Had a great season last year, no reason to think he shouldn't be able to have another next season. Resign him to a 1 yr deal at a slightly lower price. Hopefully we'll be able to get him a little more rest down the stretch next season.

2-Cleary-He had a bad year. He seems to have lost his hands and aggressiveness. I'd like to replace him with someone that's more of a natural in front of the net, and preferably, someone that hits a little harder. This is our FIRST TRADE OPPORTUNITY.

3-Bertuzzi-Bert just really lacks offensive awareness out there. I'd like to replace him with someone that's got a little better hand-eye coordination in front of the net...and who plays better defense, hits.

Secondary-Scorers:

1-Franzen-Mhm.

2-Filppula-He'd be a great third line center, but we've got Helm, we've got Abby, and we lack talented wings.

3-Hudler-I can't wait for him to get back.

I don't care what order you put the top nine in. Get a two-way center out there. Get a net-presence out there. And get a secondary-scorer out there. Babcock can figure out the combinations. The personnel is there. And could maybe even be improved, as noted above.

4) Miller or Ritola or *FREE AGENT - Abdelkader - Eaves or *FREE AGENT

...-Abby is our 4th line center, no question there. I like Eaves. I like Miller. I like Ritola. But I am sick of having 4th line grinders that don't hit. I think we need to get a little more physical here. Get me two Abby clones. Guys that hit hard and play solid defense.

13th, Draper

...If he retired, his cap-hit would still count against us. It'd be nice to see us trade him to make room for Ritola or whoever, but I doubt it's going to happen, unfortunately.

DEFENSEMEN:

1) Lidstrom or *FREE AGENT - Kronwall

2) Stuart - Rafalski or *TRADE

...First and foremost, I think that we need to split up Nick and Raffy. Maybe even on the powerplay. Reason #1, neither of these old timers like contact. It's been pathetic watching everyone dump against our top pairing all post-season. Reason #2, these are two of the most skilled offensive defenders in the game...and there's only one puck to shoot. I think Raffy suffers a bit because he's always deferring to Lidstrom, being too unselfish. But when he's the guy, like on Team USA, he produces a lot of points. Oh, and if Nick retires (unlikely), Volchencov.

3) Kindl - Ericsson or *TRADE/FREE AGENT

...Kind's going to be up next season. He's a puck mover, so there won't be much of a need for Lebda. Ericsson, now there's a question mark. Is he going to rebound next season? Or is he going to continue his downward spiral? It might be a good idea to trade him for someone that lays the wood a little better. We'll see how it turns out.

7th, Lilja?

...If he's too expensive to be a 7th defensemen, Lebda's fine.

GOALIES:

1) Howard

2) Osgood

...No reason to think about doing anything here.

It pains me to see Hudler on a line centered by Abdelkader or Helm. It would be better if they didn't re-sign one of Miller or Eaves and tried to get another more offensively oriented player to make a third scoring line. Or not re-sign Bertuzzi (I assume he'd be the odd man out over Homer) and go with two solid scoring lines and try to make the checking lines as tough to play against as possible.

Well I think Abdelkader has some real 2nd/3rd line tweener scoring potential. I think they should give him a shot in that area.

Filppula-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Franzen-Datsyuk-Hudler

Cleary-Helm-Bertuzzi

Eaves-Abdelkader-Ritola

Draper

Stuart-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lidstrom

Lilja/FA-Ericcson

Kindl

PP1

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Rafalski-Lidstrom

PP2

Franzen-Filpppula-Hudler

Kronwall-Stuart

Id be pretty happy with this line-up, Bert did exactly what the Wings asked him to do this season. As we all seen in the 7-1 game what Bertuzzi can do on any given night so having him on the 3rd line i think would be alright plus he still gives us a little more size upfront.

Miller's wife (my friend's sister) is from Livonia. I would imagine that she wants to be close to her family here. Miller is definitely going to push to stay with the Wings.

Miller's wife (my friend's sister) is from Livonia. I would imagine that she wants to be close to her family here. Miller is definitely going to push to stay with the Wings.

I'd like for him to push some weights and be able to hit more consistently next year.

Guest blueadams

It looks like I'm only going to be allowed one "blueadams line combo thread" at a time, so I'm updating this original post. Since game five, we've learned a lot of important things...

#1) Lidstrom is probably going to be back

#2) Holmstrom is definitely going to be back.

#3) Bertuzzi is probably going to be brough back.

#4) Helm is definitely going to be back.

#5) Abdelkader is definitely going to be back.

That means that there are really only THREE (non-trade) DECISIONS TO BE MADE this off-season!

...in no particular order:

#1) 4th line grinder #1 - Do we want Eaves back, or do we want to bring in someone with more of a physical presence? I vote physical presence.

#2) 4th line grinder #2 - Do we want Miller back, do we want to go with Ritola, or do we want to bring in someone with more of a physical presence? Again, I vote physical presence.

#3) 6th/7th defenseman - Do we want to bring Lilja, Lebda, or Meech back, or do we want to bring in someone with more of a physical presence? Once again, I vote physical presence.

These really aren't big additions that I'm suggesting. Maybe half a million to a million for each of the above three requested physical presences. Not big additions at all. But having three more really physical guys - like abby - would really, really change the dynamics of this team for the better. Really, it doesn't even matter if they can kill penalties well. Up front we'd still have Helm, Cleary, Abby, Val, Hank and Pav to kill. On the blue line we'd still have Nick, Stuie, Ericsson (who we expect a lot from), and Kronner. It'd be nice if they could, but really, we just need dudes that HIT and don't take no sh!t off of nobody.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Helm-Cleary

Miller(?)/Ritola(?)-Abdelkader-Eaves(?)

Draper

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Kindl-Ericsson

Lilja(?)/Lebda(?)/Meech(?)

Howard

Osgood

...i've updated the original post.