WCSF Game 5 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Sharks 2

• Please log in to reply
837 replies to this topic

#821 BruiseBrother

BruiseBrother

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

Too bad the refs were so bad....really destroyed this series. Good job by the Wings on a train-wreck of a season.

Best enforcer of all time and will no doubt will live on as the most famous and most admired in the history of the sport.

RIP Probie. At least Jesus knows someone has his back.

#822 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

I expect alot of different faces for next year, the depth on this team was pathetic this year

We need to re-tool.This whole soft euro sttyle obviously isn't working.We need the right blend of skill and grit and we didn't have it this year.Let Bertuzzi,Williams,Maltby,Lebda,Meech,Lilja,and Miller walk.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#823 hockeynut

hockeynut

Jr. Prospect

• 27 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

First I want to say this: You guys have an amazing and scary team, and if it weren't for Nabokov making some amazing saves every one of those games could have gone the other way. Howard was good, but Nabber was just a little better, that and not the refs decided this series. I'm shocked that someone would even suggest "massive" changes to the roster when your team was easily one of the best five teams in the NHL. Howard will be a year more experienced and you'll be back next year, hopefully we will meet again in 2011. Great series, it's been a lot of fun and you guys have been fun to hang out with. See you next year.

Second for the people calling for suspensions or even a penalty on Murray? Really? Stuart whacked Pavelski so hard in the mouth with his elbow it dislodged a tooth. Murray got doubleteamed by Bertuzzi and (someone else) by the bench, no where NEAR the puck and they tried to remove his head. Their was more than one cheap shot in last night's game. So really, just stop. All the whining diminishes the whole results.

Your team played hard and our team played hard. Leave it at that. Posted Image

#824 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

We need to re-tool.This whole soft euro sttyle obviously isn't working.We need the right blend of skill and grit and we didn't have it this year.Let Bertuzzi,Williams,Maltby,Lebda,Meech,Lilja,and Miller walk.

Hahah. You think it was a lack of physicality why we lost? The hockey is going towards puck posession game - more skilled game. Many teams (LIKE SAN JOSE) have already mimicked the Red Wings style.

This team will never play a dump and chase style in the near future and this team won't be like the Flyers. Our style of game and the right players to play it have been the key for our success in the recent years.

Penguins, Sharks, Canucks... all those team have mimicked the Red Wings style of puck control and puck possession. Even Chicago is more about skill. Bruins is the perfect opposite, but I doubt they'll win the Cup.

We don't need to change ANYTHING regarding our "style". We just need to build the team a little differently, maybe rebuild a little with younger players. We had guys like Williams, Bertuzzi and Leino. Not one of those is a real top6 guy, but aren't capable of playing on the defensive role either. Hudler will be a important piece for this team's offense.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Hudler, Filppula + maybe Holmstrom. There's at least 5 real top6 forwards.

The defense looks solid if Lidstrom doesn't retire. If he does, then we all the cap space to get a "replacement".

When you compare last year's team to this year's team. It's not about toughness or anything like that. We just had a really good team and everyone was one year younger. I'm not saying we're "too old" but some important players are already past their prime.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#825 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

Oh stop. We were outhitting teams regularly. This isn't a "soft Euro team" we lost because we couldn't win faceoffs and made stupid blind passes in addition to bad reffing.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#826 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

Detroit didn't lose because of lack of grit.

They lost because their special teams, defense, and offense at times was downright disgusting.

Posted Image

#827 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

Detroit didn't lose because of lack of grit.

They lost because their special teams, defense, and offense at times was downright disgusting.

Your logic has no place here.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#828 Ratbastrd

Ratbastrd

Rookie

• Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hey Wings fans, good series, I know a lot of you are bummed but this was clearly the Sharks year to take this series.

For those complaining about the officiating and all, give it a break. The Sharks won, not because of officiating, but because they played better, more disciplined hockey, at the right times. Last night was the best game of the series; both teams showed up and played tough hockey. The officials for the most part swallowed their whistles last night. Despite this, the Sharks won, when it counted, which seals the deal.

Either way, the Wings were one of the top 4 teams in the league this year, standings aside. Re-tooling the team makes absolutely no sense to me. I fully expect the Wings to be a younger & healthier team next year; making them a legitimate threat to take the cup again... :ranting:

Until then, have a great summer guy's, look forward to more of this next year!

#829 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Batbastrd, nice try fool.

#830 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hey Wings fans, good series, I know a lot of you are bummed but this was clearly the Sharks year to take this series.

For those complaining about the officiating and all, give it a break. The Sharks won, not because of officiating, but because they played better, more disciplined hockey, at the right times. Last night was the best game of the series; both teams showed up and played tough hockey. The officials for the most part swallowed their whistles last night. Despite this, the Sharks won, when it counted, which seals the deal.

Either way, the Wings were one of the top 4 teams in the league this year, standings aside. Re-tooling the team makes absolutely no sense to me. I fully expect the Wings to be a younger & healthier team next year; making them a legitimate threat to take the cup again... :ranting:

Until then, have a great summer guy's, look forward to more of this next year!

Aside from Game 4, the Sharks won the series because they played better. The officiating was abysmal, but not the reason Detroit lost. Stick around, we like having rational opposition fans here.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#831 TheUkrainian

TheUkrainian

The Ukrainian One

• PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

I lol'd. So to ditch the "soft euro" style we let 6 North Americans and a swede walk? :unsure:
Wish List: Stanley Cup!
100% pure Ukranian

#832 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

Why were the games in this series "three-line" games as Babs said? Was it because San Jose only played three lines?

#833 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

Why were the games in this series "three-line" games as Babs said? Was it because San Jose only played three lines?

No because babcock basically played three lines because the 4th line couldn't do s*** this playoffs.

#834 In Wings We Trust

In Wings We Trust

Rookie

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

We lost because our third and fourth lines quit scoring. In the past when we've been good, we've had great timely goals from our third and fourth lines who've been able to give us an edge in one-goal games. That's why it hurt losing guys like Samuelsson and Hudler. I also want to see the defense worked upon, I'm hoping Babcock's mancrush on Lilja is going to end. Rafalski played bad as well. I thought the refs were bad, but I can't put all the blame there because we lost too many face-offs, too many other things that determine a team's fate. I'm not pissed at the team at all though, this felt like a rebuilding year honestly, we've had a lot less pieces to winning teams than it felt like in years past. Just adding my 2 cents.

#835 Ratbastrd

Ratbastrd

Rookie

• Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

Two games both teams dressed 7 D men. Both teams were focusing on short shifts as well.

The Sharks skated a pseudo 4th line throughout the series, but never consistently. McLellan mixed it up pretty good. Don't know enough about the Wings to know what Babs did.

#836 uncle ovipositor

uncle ovipositor

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:22 PM

This team doesn't need much retooling, it just needs a couple of pieces added. And if history is any indicator, they'll all be available for next to nothing or already in the system. Say what you like about other teams mimicking the puck possession style of play, but nobody can touch the Wings at finding talent that every other team has missed for cheap.

#837 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

Good season Wings, fought through a lot of injuries and clinched a playoff spot once again. :thumbup:

Great regular season and good playoff experience for Howard.

Not mad about the effort against the Sharks every game we lost was by 1 goal and all of those could have gone either way. Sharks are a good team and when it is all said and done i don't hate the SJ Sharks, congrats to them.

A lot of positives to look forward to next season, see you all then.

GO WINGS!

#838 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

I'm over this already, to be honest. No one thought we'd make it as far as we did, so that alone should be an accomplishment, given how we started the season. We could have done better of course, but we just didn't have it this year. Shake it off, enjoy the summer and come back ready for bear in September. It's the best you can do.

I've got baseball to keep me plenty occupied sports-wise this summer, so I'll be having a good time regardless.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor