• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Wojtek Wolski

Rate this topic

Yea, a 32yr old Lang and a 25yr old Wolski, same thing...

let's also gloss over the fact that he joined the Wings DURING their changing of guard and barely played one full season with the likes of Yzerman... but keep swinging with useless, off-mark comparisons...

Laziness was never Wolskis problem, it was scoring consistency and maybe night life... so, if anything, he'd fit more in the category with Cleary and Eaves, not Leino and Grigorenko... even more reason why he'd be a great fit here...

I will admit I don't know a whole lot about him, but from what I recall about what I've read... Laziness is EXACTLY the reason he has been bounced around from team to team. Yes it has been consistency problems, but my understanding is those consistency problems stem directly from his work ethic, or lack thereof. If partying is a problem, as has been mentioned, how is that not a matter of work ethic?

I think people get a little hypnotized by players like Wolski and Zherdev because they have amazing hands, can throw a flashy deke, and have interesting highlight reels on youtube that show an extremely subjective sample size of the player's ability.

To clarify, for the right price, I'd take him. But I think other teams are willing to pay more, and I say let them.

but..but...b... Wolski would be the new Gretzky if he played for the Wings. Wings is the place players come to turn into men. We can point at Jason Williams and Hudler as proof how good lazy players can become on the Wings!!!

No F'ING thank you to Wolski. This team had enough Hudlers, Williams, and Modanos... no need to keep the trend alive..

I'm with you. I have never really payed too much attention to Wolski, so I am not going to say too much for or against him here. But if scoring consistency has been his biggest knock, don't think he's going to learn that here. Anybody remember how Franzen and Clearly both disappeared at the end of the season. Our leading goal scorer scored twice in the last two months of the season. Coming to Detroit isn't a magic cure all for inconsistency, let alone laziness. I'm not in a position to say that Wolski is either one, but we've got plenty enough reasons to see that those things don't just disappear when you play for this team.

I feel like a broken record... the kid is only 25 and coming from VERY poor situations regarding leadership from upper management all the way down, you watch him play and you will see he's not lazy, and his attitude is nothing compared to most... also, he'd come on the cheap, so there's nothing to lose... anyone who is against him, is not looking at the bigger picture

I feel like a broken record... the kid is only 25 and coming from VERY poor situations regarding leadership from upper management all the way down, you watch him play and you will see he's not lazy, and his attitude is nothing compared to most... also, he'd come on the cheap, so there's nothing to lose... anyone who is against him, is not looking at the bigger picture

I'm not arguing with you about whether it's the right move or the wrong move to bring Wolski to Detroit, you obviously know more about his game play than I do and I'm fine with taking your word for it. If the kid is fine, and the situations in Pheonix or New York were his biggest issues, then there's nothing bad about the idea. I was just saying that there seems to be this idea that guys who DO HAVE consistency issues/work ethic issues, can come to Detroit and the organization and system will completely negate those bad habits. Only, the reality is that there are guys on our team now that have those issues, there were guys in the past that had those issues, and being a member of the Detroit Red Wings didn't change that. Sometimes it does, a lot of times it doens't. If that's not the issue with Wolski then I don't see why it wouldn't work out.

I'm not arguing with you about whether it's the right move or the wrong move to bring Wolski to Detroit, you obviously know more about his game play than I do and I'm fine with taking your word for it. If the kid is fine, and the situations in Pheonix or New York were his biggest issues, then there's nothing bad about the idea. I was just saying that there seems to be this idea that guys who DO HAVE consistency issues/work ethic issues, can come to Detroit and the organization and system will completely negate those bad habits. Only, the reality is that there are guys on our team now that have those issues, there were guys in the past that had those issues, and being a member of the Detroit Red Wings didn't change that. Sometimes it does, a lot of times it doens't. If that's not the issue with Wolski then I don't see why it wouldn't work out.

For the record, my reply wasn't directly to you... but you're dead on about the fact that just coming to Detroit doesn't solve deeper issues, which is one of the reasons I don't think Zherdev would work here. I just see a lot more in Wolski's game and I see a player just waiting to break out, that unfortunately, to this point, hasn't had the opportunity to do so and has become disinterested in the process of playing for horrrible organizations... I think he would be one of the best steals of the last 20 some years in we scooped him up, that's how confident I am that he would thrive here

My perfect offseason roster would look something like this....

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Kris Draper ($0.800m)

Wojtek Wolski ($1.100m)/ Patrik Eaves or Chris Drury ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m)

James Wisniewski ($4.500m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($5.000m)

Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,971,211; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,028,789

My forward lines would look like this...

With Drury

Filppula- Datsyuk- Holmstrom

Franzen- Zetterberg- Wolski

Cleary- Drury- Hudler

Bertuzzi- Helm- Abdelkader

Mursak

Draper

With Eaves

Filppula- Datsyuk- Holmstrom

Franzen- Zetterberg- Wolski

Cleary- Helm- Hudler

Bertuzzi- Abdelkader- Eaves

With this we would still address the back end obviously with Wis and Ehrhoff that will help huge to solidify our team. What do you guys think?

Drury? C'me on man....hey, I hear JP Dumont is available too....urghh

Of course he's kind of lazy and inconsistent otherwise he as 6'3 relatively young kid with soft hands would be locked on long term contract:scared:,but we are talking about reclamation project like the Wings had with Ozzie,Cleary or Pat Eaves recently so couldn't hurt our team that much.

btw according to my friends(the Rags fans),Wolski's gonna work his ass with Brian Boyle and co. during summer so maybe he'll end up in blue shirt once again :ph34r:

Guest Crymson

I'd rather have Ovechkin but there's that pesky salary cap thing to consider.

Please stop snuffing out people's pipe dreams.

Also, since Drury is out on his ass again I have to drop one of his older quotes:

"I just don't know what to think. I play in Colorado, they tell me they like me, and I get traded. I play in Calgary, and at the end of the season the GM tells me he likes me, and I get traded. I just hope my fiancee doesn't tell me she likes me."