• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

Weekend Picks

Rate this topic

I'm willing to do it this year. I need Dan Bylsma for the assist though. :thumbup:

Hi everyone, first time I've logged in here since the end of the contest last April. I visited the forum on the day of the plane crash, what dark times that was :-(

I really wasn't interested in doing the contest but I'll contribute. Here's my idea, I'll be responsible for tabulating the totals of the contestants on page 1 of the weekly contest thread and submitting that to GoWings1905 It's a daunting task counting up all those games for everyone. I was bouncing off the walls and going crossed eyed by the time I finished.

It would be cool if we had a pool of about 4-5 people who could be responsible for doing one of the other pages each and every week.(especially the first few hectic weeks with so many people participating) or fill in for others when the regular volunteer for that page can't do it for some reason. Finding reliable people is the hard thing I would say. I would also provide for the other volunteers a highlighted list of the winners of each game for that week to aid them if they request it from me. I've found that that sort of a list (printed out) makes it a little easier.

Hi everyone, first time I've logged in here since the end of the contest last April. I visited the forum on the day of the plane crash, what dark times that was :-(

I really wasn't interested in doing the contest but I'll contribute. Here's my idea, I'll be responsible for tabulating the totals of the contestants on page 1 of the weekly contest thread and submitting that to GoWings1905 It's a daunting task counting up all those games for everyone. I was bouncing off the walls and going crossed eyed by the time I finished.

It would be cool if we had a pool of about 4-5 people who could be responsible for doing one of the other pages each and every week.(especially the first few hectic weeks with so many people participating) or fill in for others when the regular volunteer for that page can't do it for some reason. Finding reliable people is the hard thing I would say. I would also provide for the other volunteers a highlighted list of the winners of each game for that week to aid them if they request it from me. I've found that that sort of a list (printed out) makes it a little easier.

I was just messing with you. Glad to see you are still around though. You had always been extremely helpful in previous years, but don't feel obligated like you have to help out still if you had no intention of doing so.

I will go along with whatever you feels works best. Thanks!

Thanks guys! With a two year old running around here my attentions and priorities are a little different. I may be able to do a couple but I can't guarantee anything.

hey Kook, with the super job you did last year and taking the contest to new heights you deserve a lifetime pass on any further contest duties.

I get the feeling that help from aussie wing and possibly kook would take the form of doing an entire week of the contest yourself here and there rather then my idea of several people splitting up the duties of one particular week. I don't do spreadsheets so I could help out piecemeal rather then everything for a week. I suppose GoWings1905 is planning on utilizing the spreadsheet as the two previous hosts did, possibly counting the totals scores up from one page alone would get in the way of the use of a spreadsheet ?

Hey Guys. Found a site that might work. Its a pick'em pool site for hockey. They have fri thru sunday option. One point per win. Maybe this can cut down on the work. http://www.pooltracker.com/game_info/nhl_pickem.asp#.TooP-kSouKV

Does not have option for bonus picks or toss out of worst three weeks. But it can do the totaling and then you can use that in Conjunction with bonus and worst weeks on the LGW site. They have pay and free sites. The free just calculates for us.

Free Pools

Scores calculated nightly

no Banner Ads

Free means Free; No Fees

Unlimited Players

Edited by Blood On The Ice

Hey Guys. Found a site that might work. Its a pick'em pool site for hockey. They have fri thru sunday option. One point per win. Maybe this can cut down on the work. http://www.pooltracker.com/game_info/nhl_pickem.asp#.TooP-kSouKV

Does not have option for bonus picks or toss out of worst three weeks. But it can do the totaling and then you can use that in Conjunction with bonus and worst weeks on the LGW site. They have pay and free sites. The free just calculates for us.

Free Pools

Scores calculated nightly

no Banner Ads

Free means Free; No Fees

Unlimited Players

wow Blood on the ice,this looks very promising to me,it's everything we do on a weekly basis except for what you stated. I set up a mock contest, one thing i like is that you can keep everyone's selections secret until the deadline has passed. I've always wondered if contestants look at other peoples picks in considering their own, this site would eliminate this. All selections would then be made public after the deadline. A drawback would be that if someone missed the Friday deadline it looks like you wouldn't be able to salvage the Saturday and Sunday picks but I'm not sure of this. But then again the few people that miss the Friday deadline could submit their picks in the forum.

Edited Update: this looks like it might not be a problem after looking into it further, the games that have already started would not be available to make a pick but it looks like the games that have not started could be still be selected or edited

It wouldn't eliminate all the work but a good deal of it.

There's also a "Ranked Pick em" option where you could put more weight on some picks and less on others. Very interesting but this might be too much change for many people.

Edited update: A way to get around the lack of a bonus pick would be to go with the "Ranked Pick em" option and have a "in forum" rule of restricting contestants to selecting only one weighted game. (or 2 or 3 games or 1,2 less weighted games?)

(1) Further Edited update: There might not be a way to select only one weighted game.

(2) it looks like you can drop (discard) as many weeks as you would like to.

Edited by Dan Bylsma

Just trying to get some feedback from the people here that have participated previously in Weekend Picks and/or have checked out the site BOTI posted.

It appears the weighted option is all or nothing. So we can either just pick winners and get one point for each correct selection OR assign a confidence level to each game and then you receive the total number of points based on the teams that win. We can keep the double up game if preferred, but it looks like we would end up having to track that here in the forum still if so. I don't care either way, but wanted to see if there were any opinions first as I would like to create the pool so people can start joining and making picks tomorrow.

Thanks!

Just trying to get some feedback from the people here that have participated previously in Weekend Picks and/or have checked out the site BOTI posted.

It appears the weighted option is all or nothing. So we can either just pick winners and get one point for each correct selection OR assign a confidence level to each game and then you receive the total number of points based on the teams that win. We can keep the double up game if preferred, but it looks like we would end up having to track that here in the forum still if so. I don't care either way, but wanted to see if there were any opinions first as I would like to create the pool so people can start joining and making picks tomorrow.

Thanks!

I like the weighted thing. Try it for the year. If we don't like it, go back to double up next year. I'm game either way though.