Photo
- - - - -

I went to school with Abdelkader. Nice guy.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

I play on a hockey team with guys that grew up with Abdelkador. At one point Abs best friend was on our team so when he was at the Muskegon Air Fair a few of us met him.
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,825 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

I went to school with Chris Pronger and taught Sidney Crosby in high school.

Both great guys.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

I didn't really know either of them personally but went to the rival high school of Justin Williams in Cobourg, Ontario (home also of retired Steve Smith) and Shane O'Brien is our boy from PH (port hope,ont). Again I don't know them personally but mingled with them at different points of life, more before really even knowing who they where.

...And on a side note my wife's grandfather "Darce" Campbell has a contract from the Wings from the early 40's and went to camp but his wife asked him to come home for the family as hockey players didnt get paid a lot in these days and he was a banker by trade so he opted out and did that intsead. By the way he tells stories he played with the big boys and loved it but Im not sure how long he was there and what not. Ill find out and update as soon as I find out the nitty gritty.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#24 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

I played football with Kirk Cousins in high school

Uh oh, someone is a sour michigan fan if I'm getting negged for going to school with Cousins.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#25 casey holmstrom

casey holmstrom

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

Welcome to the board Big Bear!

I too have some dork stories about growing up in Muskegon. I unfortunately went to Fruitport instead of Mona Shores so my school didn't have s*** in terms of hockey.
I remember being at a drop in hockey my freshman year, same graduating year as Abdelkader and him being on the ice. I never talked to him though I remember him showing up everyone on the ice and me and the rest of our friends leaving early because the skill level was completely unfair. My friend Chris however can say he stopped him on a breakaway that day. HAHA. This was shortly before he won state with Mona Shores and left to play for Cedar Rapids in the USHL.

While filming a pre-season game for the Muskegon Lumberjacks at the Joe I did get to creeper status stand right next to him while I was working a camera and our broadcaster talked to him. I almost said something but then stifled myself because it probably would have ended something like this:

Yo man, im from Muskegon too... Ok, bye.
damn I am so awkward.

I do fully rep the fact that he is a Red Wing from our small hometown. HELL YEAH BOYS!
I often find myself completely jealous that someone from my same town, same age, same opportunities is making fat bank travelling the world playing hockey, while I am a fat slob living on a bridge card to feed myself. haha.
Posted Image

#26 bigbear150otd

bigbear150otd

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Funny s*** Casey! Yeah, I feel you on that last part for sure. That burns pretty bad. We should pool our bridge card money and prepare a meal outrageously high in fat. So high that we immediately pass out afterwards, providing us with those precious moments of unconsciousness where we don't have to think about or deal with our short-comings. Ha. No..but we really should make taco's or somethin and watch the game tomorrow...

#27 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:45 AM

I played AAA hockey with Wojtek Wolski. Daniel Winnik and Chris Campoli also played in our league but didn't know them personally.

Posted Image

#28 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:19 AM

Ha ha ha ha

Blueadams: "Mike, Mike, Mike! I liked your new line power play combos 5 on 3 set-up the other day night. They were bitchin, man."

Mike: "Thanks! You can thank the new assistant coaches for ..."

Blueadams: "Can you put Franzen with Z and D, and move Hudler down with Helm, and move Filppula and Hudler down with Franzen, and ...."

Mike (turns, walks away, and muttles under his breath): "Jesus."

Blueadams later: "..... He completely blew me off."

you are the least creative poster on the entire board.

#29 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:28 AM

I went to high school with Sidney Crosby, Jack Johnson, Zach Parise, Matt Smaby and Drew Stafford. I played on teams with everyone, but Parise because he was a few years ahead of me at the time. All great guys and great teammates when it came to anything both on and off the ice.
HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#30 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

I dont kno any wings personally :( but I used to work for a small start up company here in the D and my boss/the-owner knew like all the Red Wings. (I think he hired me because I was obsessed with hockey and the wings)

He was good friends with McCarty. Darren gave him tickets and put his name on the list to get into the locker room the night we beat Washington to win the cup. He got to drink out of the cup and celebrate with the wings the lucky bas****

He said the first time he went drinking with Darren, Darren got him the drunkest he's ever been while Darren didn't even appear drunk at all lol.

I also remember he was good friends with Kocur and Fetisov as well. He was doing business with them when I worked for him. I believe Kocur is the head of the wings alumni association and Fetisov is like the Tsar of Russian sports or something.

A friend of mine also just got a job writing for the wings website. All I know so far is that he got to interview Zetterberg. I hate him.

#31 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

thats so awesome.!!

my sister went to elementary school with Chad Kroeger of Nickelback.

#32 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

Boris Valabik who has bounced around between ATL, BOS, and PITT is a good friend of mine. Lived with him for a while while the Slovak national team was in town for a summer a few years ago and always stayed in touch. I actually have a whole garage full of s*** s*** if anyone wants some free RBK sticks lol.

edit: slovak junior national team

Edited by Din758, 25 October 2011 - 12:34 PM.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#33 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

thats so awesome.!!

my sister went to elementary school with Chad Kroeger of Nickelback.

I wouldn't brag about a thing like that... is she still scarred?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#34 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

I played against Abdelkader when he played for Mona, he slashed me and called me names.

Also played with Patrick Kane a few times he played for 88 Honeybaked I played for 89, played drop in with a few NHLers at Compuware. Pretty much it, have a few of my good friends play college hockey for Michigan, and Michigan Tech but haven't quite made the leap into the NHL yet=)

#35 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

I went to high school with Cam Fowler. We played on the school baseball team together. He didn't play for our hockey team because he was too good for it.