• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Moves Like Jagr

Unbiased Assessment of Each Player

Rate this topic

No, Helm isn't great at them. Neither are great on offense. But Helm is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Abby defensively. Both in what their best performance to date has been, as well as their performance this season.

I brought up Abby's breakaway as an example showing that even when he does create a chance, the likelihood that he will score is not very high compared to other players on the Wings' roster.

You ignored much of my post- do you agree with what you did not comment on?

Helm is light-years better defensively than Abby? Not true. I would say Helm is a bit better, but not by much.

I know you love stats, and I have some more for you. This season, Abby has been on the ice for one more goal for, but also on the ice for for more goals against (playing on the fourth line I assume). Helm has been on the ice for one more PK goal against (a bit more PK time per game though). Last season, Abby let the team in plus-minus. Helm was on the ice for more goals against ES and PK. Helm had more PK time/game, but only 14sec/game less time at ES.

Obviously stats don't tell the whole story. However, IMO Helm gets recognition above his skill level because he stands out with his speed. It's not anything against Helm (I love his play), but his speed tends to have him a bit overrated by many on this forum.

You ignored much of my post- do you agree with what you did not comment on?

Helm is light-years better defensively than Abby? Not true. I would say Helm is a bit better, but not by much.

I know you love stats, and I have some more for you. This season, Abby has been on the ice for one more goal for, but also on the ice for for more goals against (playing on the fourth line I assume). Helm has been on the ice for one more PK goal against (a bit more PK time per game though). Last season, Abby let the team in plus-minus. Helm was on the ice for more goals against ES and PK. Helm had more PK time/game, but only 14sec/game less time at ES.

Obviously stats don't tell the whole story. However, IMO Helm gets recognition above his skill level because he stands out with his speed. It's not anything against Helm (I love his play), but his speed tends to have him a bit overrated by many on this forum.

Last season Abby spent most of the year playing on a different line from Helm; Helm's line was often put up against offensive talent while Abby's wasn't. Abby was also given the chance to play second line center between Franzen and Bertuzzi.

This season, I feel neither Helm or Abdelkader have outplayed one another. They're just about equal.

But, last season Helm was far, far better than Abdelkader. It's not even close. I think a closer comparison last year, would be Helm to Filppula.

Abby was the worst player on the team. Hudler and Modano were the most disappointing, but Abdelkader was the hands down worst. He got most of his points playing with Danny Cleary when he was on fire at the beginning of the season. After that, he had one two goal game late in the year. His playoff performance was, well, would any disagree if I said "horrendous"?

Helm, on the hand, was the top Pk'er, second in FO % and helped carry the team when Datsyuk was out. I also not that the line of Draper, Eaves, Helm had been our most consistent performing line the last two years. I remember at the end of the year Helm had some votes for season MVP on this forum, I don't remember the results, but a third liner just getting a vote on this team must tell you something.

It was infuriating to watch Eaves, Miller, and Draper rotate last season while Abdelkader got 2nd line minutes and time on the PP. He was even out there a few times as the extra attacker. I really can not figure Babcock's love affair with this guy.

Anyways, I will get some negs for this post. some people here think very highly of Abs because 1) He is from Michigan 2) he was drafted in the second round 3) he fights,

only one of which is even close to a hockey quality.

However, this season Abdelkader has been much better and is one of the more consistent guys out there. He has definitely stepped it up after a terrible season last year. which, really, is what really matters now.

I think the REAL problem with the Red Wings is their philosophy and player management. It really has nothing to do with the players.

I'll break it down into a couple of simple points:

1) The Red Wings play a style right now that DEPENDS on the power play and getting more than 5 or 6 chances on the power play each night. Their 5 on 5 play is horrible.

2) The Red Wings have too many small skill players and not enough big guys that can bang.

This has been the problem for the last 3 years now. If you don't have refs giving you power plays every three minutes, you can't win with this type of system. The refs don't give the Wings the power plays in the playoffs, and they are starting not to give them to them in the regular season now. Holland and Babcock really need to pull their heads out and figure out that the team needs more toughness and speed.

Keepers: Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Filppula, Helm, Lidstrom, Kronwall

Must get rid of: Bertuzzi, Holmstrom

Everyone else is expendable.