• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Is Babcock watching the same game?

Rate this topic

Coach Mike Babcock does not subscribe to the theory that his team isn't getting on the inside, that most of its shots are coming from the perimeter. "I hear (team broadcaster) Mickey Redmond say, 'They're keeping them on the outside.' So the good thing about that is that I watched the game, and watched it on the computer and then 'NHL On the Fly' played it again,'' Babcock said. "So I watched it three times to see if that's the truth, to see if we're never getting to the net, we're never getting on the inside, and all I can do is go off what I see and I don't think that's the truth.''

Full article

Now, I've only watched the game once, but I'm pretty sure a lot of our shots were indeed from the perimeter. And as far I'm concerned, we did have an incredibly tough time getting to the middle of the ice.

Is anyone else puzzled by why Babcock can't see this? Or isn't willing to admit it? I'm no coach, but getting to the inside would be one of my main areas of concern for Game 5.

ScruffySecond.jpg

I think this has been their problem since game one. Too many one timers from the outside. I think what Babcock is seeing is the occasional drive to the net, but I haven't seen hardly any, if any, plays where there have been solid passes in front of the crease. I see the Preds performing centering shots, but I have seldom seen any by the Wings.

I think there's a tendency to think everything is just dandy when you're a part of the team, especially as the coach or GM. Just too deep inside the organization to see otherwise.

A really great GM can divorce himself from that kind of biased thinking, and realize that his team needs some changes. Sort of an outside perspective. I don't think Babcock or Holland realize that this team isn't that good and needs changes. They have no outside perspective

That's why no improvements were made after two consecutive second round losses.

Well it's Babs' job to focus hard on the positive and have the mindset to just keep building on that.

But I wonder if there's ever been as big of a disparity between fans perceptions and brass perceptions. They're usually wide in general but I wonder if this year is especially wide.

Nick Jr failed to capaitalize.... One other player did, but forgot who it was... Besides that, there was no pressure.

They had trouble getting sustained pressure, but they did go to the net and cause some chaos, I thought that was pretty obvious. The trouble is, as soon as the puck gets into the front of the net, even if it gets as far as Rinne, a Nashville player scoops it up and passes it up the ice. The Wings just need a second man going in for when the puck carrier inevitably loses the puck so someone can recover it and stop Nashville from getting a breakout going.