• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingNut 25

Building a new Wings team (the realists thread)

Rate this topic

Cap space is key now a days. Lord only knows what the next CBA has in store.

Pop a decimal point between the 8 and the 2 on Giroux and you have his salary for next year. ;)

As much as I'd love to have Parise or Suter, I just don't think it'll happen. Brandon Prust would be a nice, gritty additition. What scares me is the defense and the inconsistency we may see with a realistic lineup of:

Lidstrom - White

Kronwall - Smith

Quincey - Ericsson

I didn't really see much out of Quincey this year, but knowing that we spent a 1st round pick on him means that Kenny wants to keep him. Also, Smith may bring high hope along with him, however, at this point in his early career is he really any better than Stuart defensively or on the PK? That learning curve might hurt us and could cost us a few points in the standings. I would love to get the two most coveted FAs this offseason, but realistically I'm not holding my breath.

As much as I'd love to have Parise or Suter, I just don't think it'll happen. Brandon Prust would be a nice, gritty additition. What scares me is the defense and the inconsistency we may see with a realistic lineup of:

Lidstrom - White

Kronwall - Smith

Quincey - Ericsson

I didn't really see much out of Quincey this year, but knowing that we spent a 1st round pick on him means that Kenny wants to keep him. Also, Smith may bring high hope along with him, however, at this point in his early career is he really any better than Stuart defensively or on the PK? That learning curve might hurt us and could cost us a few points in the standings. I would love to get the two most coveted FAs this offseason, but realistically I'm not holding my breath.

Smith isn't even comparable to Stuart on the PK. Babs would be nuts to throw Smith to the PK sharks. Brendan needs some serious NHL seasoning for his defensive game and he'll always be a 'gambler' as Mickey (and the scouts at the draft) says. If it was only about the PP Smith is an instant upgrade to the Wings' special teams. The Wings have some very strong talent below the AHL level both in Europe and NA. The talent coming down the pipeline is definitely coming at the right time.