• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

The fight against Domi alone was epic, and I'm not one of these young punks just tossing that word around! Amazing Grace on the bagpipes is f***in' awesome btw.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#22 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

had some s***ty weather so decided to read Probies book again.....compelling read again. i finished it in 2.5 hours.

Really enjoy the fact it was his words and written that way as well.

Although His constant presence here on the boards brings back nothing but great memories...his death still deeply deeply saddens
me.

The connection he and Stevie had was very touching and watching that Buffalo Brawl is what prompted this post.

#23 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

I remember the day very well. It was on my birthday. Bummer news. I was going to post the tribute video and was really glad that it was already in the first post :)

RIP #24 Bob Probert

#24 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Also, here's a video that has the Probert/Domi fight but has interviews with Mark Messier, Don Cherry, Domi and Probie. They show the fight and talk about dirty plays and how Messier ripped Domi a new one for showing up other fighters on his way to the penalty box. I had no idea that Domi and Probie were facing a 20 game suspension for the rematch. I found it interesting, getting the info straight from the heavyweights themselves.

#25 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

Also, here's a video that has the Probert/Domi fight but has interviews with Mark Messier, Don Cherry, Domi and Probie. They show the fight and talk about dirty plays and how Messier ripped Domi a new one for showing up other fighters on his way to the penalty box. I had no idea that Domi and Probie were facing a 20 game suspension for the rematch. I found it interesting, getting the info straight from the heavyweights themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pJfFFV3GUjE

Great video!! Thanks for posting it
IPB Image

#26 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Probert's book is a good read...Kinda funny how he described how reluctant Domi was at answering the bell come round 2.

EDIT - in the video above - I'm a firm believer had the refs let the fight go on in the 1st round - Probert would've eventually beaten the snot outta Domi, and round 2 may have never taken place.

Edited by F.Michael, 09 August 2012 - 10:01 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#27 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wnsRiMjCiU&list=FL6I7iJlmJdC4m_oEAWZ8vbg&index=119&feature=plpp_video

#28 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Probert's book is a good read...Kinda funny how he described how reluctant Domi was at answering the bell come round 2.

EDIT - in the video above - I'm a firm believer had the refs let the fight go on in the 1st round - Probert would've eventually beaten the snot outta Domi, and round 2 may have never taken place.

i love in his book how Probie speaks in detail about those Domi fights as well as many others.

The second time I read his book I would youtube the exact fights I was reading about... it was like having him do play by play.

It was very interesting to watch the all the fights he references, after reading his breakdowns of them...you see an entirely different tilt When your looking for the things Probe writes about that occured.

Definately a different era. the respect they all
had for each other was amazing. there seemed to only be a few dbags and it was universally known who they were and most the heavys enjoyed some of the beatings they laid on those individuals.

#29 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

i love in his book how Probie speaks in detail about those Domi fights as well as many others.

The second time I read his book I would youtube the exact fights I was reading about... it was like having him do play by play.

It was very interesting to watch the all the fights he references, after reading his breakdowns of them...you see an entirely different tilt When your looking for the things Probe writes about that occured.

Definately a different era. the respect they all
had for each other was amazing. there seemed to only be a few dbags and it was universally known who they were and most the heavys enjoyed some of the beatings they laid on those individuals.

It's why I'm a firm believer that the instigator rule should be removed.

Some here who didn't watch hockey back then claim that the removal of the instigator pen would result in an alarming increase of tuff guys taking liberties on the opposing skill guys - anything couldn't be further from the truth.

#30 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

i agree!

that buffalo brawl was a great example of what your stating....once everyone had a dance partner probert was the only Wing not paired off with anyone mostly due to the refs restraining him....but Once Macguire pummeld Stevie, Probie came in with one intention...remind people that there will be a price to pay if you even look at our stars in a bad way.

then probert really reminded him the next time they played when he beat the hell out him...everyone new it was coming and it was handled, message sent, respectfully no residual damage or cheap shots, ice justice.

when weber lost his marbles slammimg Z's head was the same situation....a big guy picking on a little guy, let alone one of our stars and the only reason he did it was simply that there are no reprocussions...he's the biggest guy on the ice and even if someone jumped him he still has option of not going and we get a 10 game suspension regardless.

should have been 5 wings jump on him right then and there but thats another story:)

#31 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

We need to plank TooToo on here and make him watch that video, plus the fight they didn't put on that video. This one's an EPIC.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#32 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

that fight is truly epic.... he talks about the end of that fight how he got his finger stuck in McSorelys helmet and how respectful he was about letting he and the refs un tangle his finger before they fully seperated.

great stuff!

#33 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

i miss pre-lockout hockey :(

#34 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

i miss pre-lockout hockey :(

I miss NHL hockey from 1984-1994 in particular...Although 96/97, 97/98, 01/02 were pretty nice too ;)