• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

The Wings should wait, but not because the UFA pool is better next year- although that does help. They are smart to wait beacause of the CBA. The Wings have Mule and Z on lifetime contracts, and adding more may have been the wrong move. With a limit on contract length, and a large amount of money, the Wings are poised to make moves in the next 5 years for free agents.

Long term, having a 35+ yr. old Parise, Suter, Z, and Mule may have hindered the Wings on the ice and against the cap. Not signing any 10+ yr. contracts this off-season will pay dividends in the next 10 years because the Wings will have the cap space and roster room to make big-time moves.

#22 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

The Wings should wait, but not because the UFA pool is better next year- although that does help. They are smart to wait beacause of the CBA. The Wings have Mule and Z on lifetime contracts, and adding more may have been the wrong move. With a limit on contract length, and a large amount of money, the Wings are poised to make moves in the next 5 years for free agents.

Long term, having a 35+ yr. old Parise, Suter, Z, and Mule may have hindered the Wings on the ice and against the cap. Not signing any 10+ yr. contracts this off-season will pay dividends in the next 10 years because the Wings will have the cap space and roster room to make big-time moves.

Don't forget Kronwall, he's signed through 2019, when he'll be 38.

#23 MrBest7

MrBest7

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

Wings need to sign Justin Abdelkader, he and Tootoo will make a good grind line.

#24 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'm all for waiting on 2013 and then nothing really happens like this year. Let's wait til 2014 and nothing happens. 2015 it is, oh wait. This could be the new trend for us. But seriously our team has needed some sort of shake up these last 3 years via trade or something. Come on Kenny....

#25 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

I'm definetly not for wasting Cap Space but I really don't want to wait another whole year to get a high profile player to help this team. I want another Stanley Cup and I want it now. We're already stuck with who we've signed this season but if we can make a trade this coming season maybe at the deadline to help us get better and maybe even clear some cap space for the following season than I'd be all for that but I just don't want to see the Wings lose their Repuation as a dominant team and a team that can still Win a Cup!!

#26 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

I'd prefer the term "recourse" or "resort". You say "option" and people will act like it was Kenny's plan all along, and next year we'll have to listen to people whine about how Kenny "promised" to get us Getzlaf, Perry, Iginla, Enstrom, and Edler.

#27 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Didn't Lidstrom move to Sweden already? If he did then I can't see the comeback in January scenario. Now if he does and I am wrong I will be the first to admit it.