Photo
- - - - -

Your 5 past Red Wings series that you wouldn't re-watch?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

09 Penguins
96 Avs
95 Devils
94 Sharks
93 Leafs

Avs hated them ever since they changed from the Nordiques. Penguins one stings a bit still. Devils sweeping us Scott Stevens smoking Kozlov, they owned us that series. Osgood blunder vs the Sharks.

All give me nightmares still :(

Ozzie made a rookie mistake, Essensa single-handedly lost that 94 series. Despite totally dominating game 5 it was tied 4-4 with less than a minute to go because of terrible goaltending from Essensa. A rookie Czech d-man (I forget his name now) took a shot from the point that a child could have saved but Essensa let in.and he lost the game for us despite the fact that it looked like an NHL team playing against kids
Osgood was good all series except for the blunder in game 7. Essensa lost the first game with terrible goaltending, they put in Ozzie and he won 2 in a row before losing. With the series tied 2-2, they put in Essensa again and he single-handedly lost the game. Os good won game 6 and then we lost game 7.
Irbe had one of the greatest goaltending performances ever in that series

#22 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

agreed. osgood was our best player by far in that series.

if wings win the cup, osgood most likely gets the conn smythe, a 4th stanley cup and would most likely be a shoo in for the hall of fame

Yep, which is why I get annoyed when people like the one above blame Ozzie for the loss. Without Ozzie, there was no game 7. Hell, we wouldn't even have made it to the finals.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#23 Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

First Line Center

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

1. 2008 vs Pittsburgh...Obviously

Got this series on DVD, I know what I'm watching the next few days!

Posted Image

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,909 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Simple. 1995 vs Devils. That one hurt.

This by far.

The Wings make finally make it to the Cup finals and it looks like this could be the season they end decades of misery. Only to be absolutely crushed by the Devils.

It felt like even though they got to the finals, they were still a long ways away from being a team capable of winning the Cup.

#25 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

1.2009 vs Pittsburgh the dwarfs cocksuckers won just a damn shame
2. 2007 vs Anaheim ***** the cartoon franchise
3.1996 vs Colorado best regular season and then you lose to a hated rival, just a kick in the gut
4.1999 vs Colorado blew our chance to make history
5.2012 vs Nashville the team should be ashamed of that performance, this was the last game of our captain and despite Zetterberg and maybe White they've shown an overall crappy effort.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#26 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Posted Image

#27 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

1. '09 of course; I watched the highlights of Game 7 once but I cannot watch any of the Pens celebrating afterwards, esp. Crosby that hand-shake line snubbing jerk
2. '96- only the 2nd playoff series I had seen at that point, couldn't believe we got shutout in Game 2, then later realizing how the record-setting regular season had been all for naught
3. '07- if we'd had Kronwall and Schneider for that series we woulda beat those a-holes, and if we had I'm confident we also would have beaten the Sens for the Cup; also, f#!* Chris Pronger
4. '99- as mentioned before, started off so well winning the first 2 games on the road, then the wheels completely fell off in Game 3 and it was all a horrible nightmare after that
5. '03- have never watched highlights from that series because we had none, it was all Giguere

honorable mention- '06- such a strong regular season that was suddenly snuffed out so quickly; also, f#!* Chris Pronger

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,725 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

:shocking:

Wait, so nobody mentioned the 1942 Finals?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

agreed. osgood was our best player by far in that series.

if wings win the cup, osgood most likely gets the conn smythe, a 4th stanley cup and would most likely be a shoo in for the hall of fame

Other than the non suspension to Malkin and refs missing 6 Pens on the ice for 20+ seconds in Game 6 (was the fix in?), the thing that bugs me the most about that loss is that Osgood didn't get his due.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#30 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

I hate even thinking about 95 vs Devils. Paul Coffey was so bad, and him lying on the ice while the Devils scored is forever etched in my brain.

#31 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

I'd have to agree with the 1st rounds of 1993 and 1994, the 1995 final, and the 1996 WCF as the toughest to watch again. At least after 1997 and 1998 playoff loses have been easier to take. I think since post back to back Cups, 2003 and 2006 top the list as don't watch.

2012, I only watched Games 2 and 3, so I can't really include that series, because I was so pissed at the non suspension to Weber. I figured Bettman wanted Nashville to win and was fixing games again like he did in the 2009 Final and the 2010 series against SJ when the League allowed the Sharks to dive without any penalty calls, and I didn't want to give that little weasel my TV ratings.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons