• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

Back when I started this thread, I was working under the assuption that most if not all of the top UFA's would resign with their current clubs. Which is kinda what is happening. So, before all the silly insults started, these are the type of guys we have to take a look at. Guys that are out of favor with their current clubs, impending RFA's, or on teams that are out of the race and looking to sell off.

One more tha i would add to the list is: Okposo with the Isles. He is only 24, a RH shooter, has good size, very good defensively and has a resonable contract. With all of that beign said, why would they move him? well.... it is the Isles and they have some real weird payroll limits. He has already shown he can score at the NHL level. 3 different seasons with 18 or more goals, not a bad job on a really bad team.

#42 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Back when I started this thread, I was working under the assuption that most if not all of the top UFA's would resign with their current clubs. Which is kinda what is happening. So, before all the silly insults started, these are the type of guys we have to take a look at. Guys that are out of favor with their current clubs, impending RFA's, or on teams that are out of the race and looking to sell off.

One more tha i would add to the list is: Okposo with the Isles. He is only 24, a RH shooter, has good size, very good defensively and has a resonable contract. With all of that beign said, why would they move him? well.... it is the Isles and they have some real weird payroll limits. He has already shown he can score at the NHL level. 3 different seasons with 18 or more goals, not a bad job on a really bad team.

Can't see the Islanders parting with one of their up and coming young forwards. Plus, they won't have any issues with their "cap limits" in the near future. Most of their good young guys are under contract long term and will have the same cap hit for atleast the next 3 years, and they'll have big space opening up with Visnovsky and his $5.6mil cap hit leaving soon and the impending amnesty buyout of DiPietro.

The problem with acquiring the players that you are recommending is that they will be expensive. For the cost, none of them are really going to take this team to the next level.

Also, the only UFA's that have resigned probably wouldn't have moved anyway. Even though speculation was being fabricated, the likelyhood that Anaheim, which is one of the best teams in the league, would trade Perry or Getzlaf was extremely minimal. The only other UFA that has resigned is Timonen. That one may be questionable for Philly, but at the time they were still pretty close to a playoff spot in the East.

Edited by DSM, 19 March 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#43 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Anyone can be traded, it is all about the details. We have several pieces that can be used to make a deal. yes all of the guys I mentioned make us better right now than tatar, Nyquist, andersson, and the rest of the prospects do. these are guys that have PROVEN they can perform. Propspects haven't, which of course why they are called prospects. Now will that remain true  years from now? That is always the risk/question involved.

#44 FinRedWing

FinRedWing

Not against the cap

• HoF Booster
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'd say Kenny should look into the + 20yr -olds that are not playing their best atm for whatever reason, but who still have potential.

For every Turris, Voracek, Tlusty, Hodgson etc. there's still Wolski's around, so it can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Burke.gif

#45 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'd say Kenny should look into the + 20yr -olds that are not playing their best atm for whatever reason, but who still have potential.

For every Turris, Voracek, Tlusty, Hodgson etc. there's still Wolski's around, so it can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Every move/non move is a crap shoot. Same is true with prospects. untill they actually do it, you just don't know. But when you can get guys that are between 24-27 and already have track records of scoring goals, you do minimialize the risk.

#46 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Ya but we have enough players not playing to their potential. It is a big risk taking on someone like that when the team is already struggling, If we brought in some more high end talent I would say go for it, until then I say focus more on getting a number 1 dman and another top 6 forward

I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

#47 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Anyone can be traded, it is all about the details. We have several pieces that can be used to make a deal. yes all of the guys I mentioned make us better right now than tatar, Nyquist, andersson, and the rest of the prospects do. these are guys that have PROVEN they can perform. Propspects haven't, which of course why they are called prospects. Now will that remain true  years from now? That is always the risk/question involved.

Sure they would make the team better, but that isn't what I said. I don't think adding (Hornqvist, Stafford, Okposo, Kulemin, etc) at the expense of subtracting good picks and/or prospects gives this team any better chance of pushing Anaheim, Chicago or even LA out of the way in the playoffs. For what they cost, none would really make the team that much better down the road either and we'd all be at square one still bitching about how Holland coughs up all of the teams 1st rounders.

#48 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,245 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Well, I don't know about the four you mentioned in the OP, but if Vancouver is in serious need of a center, I will most definitely take Alex Burrows off their hands for Filppula.  But I honestly don't think Holland is going to do anything this deadline. Especially if he picks up a couple of UFA NCAA guys...hint hint Holland...

But just for entertainment purposes:

to VAN: Filppula, Nyquist, 2013 1st Rd.

to DET: Burrows, 2013 1st Rd.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#49 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Well, I don't know about the four you mentioned in the OP, but if Vancouver is in serious need of a center, I will most definitely take Alex Burrows off their hands for Filppula.  But I honestly don't think Holland is going to do anything this deadline. Especially if he picks up a couple of UFA NCAA guys...hint hint Holland...

But just for entertainment purposes:

to VAN: Filppula, Nyquist, 2013 1st Rd.

to DET: Burrows, 2013 1st Rd.

I also doubt that Vancouver would want to do business with a team that they are battling with for playoff positioning. Also, swapping firsts would be dumb since they are right next to each other in the standings.

In breaking your trade down, all Vancouver really gets is a proven top 6 center as a playoff rental who has no guarantee of staying with the team, and an almost NHL ready prospect who's NHL potential is still an unknown. Detroit on the other hand, gets a proven and affordable top 6 forward who is guaranteed to be with the team for the next 4 seasons.

Edited by DSM, 19 March 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#50 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

all of our offence is derived from the D. if we cant get out of the zone clean, with speed, we cant enter and establish.

the primary need of this team is puck handling defenseman.

streit and visnovfsky come to mind.

although, im not against stafford...we have enough of the muckers, and passers down low.

we need snipers too.

rumors are that fleishmann is in play out of florida. (fleishmann-datsyuk-brunner line) WOW.

hornquist would be good as well, but nashville is in that " central division hate" for the wings = no trade.

kenny knows that next year we have a whole new set of teams that will hate us...lets shop there now!

acquire weiss in the off season!

Good points.

Since the Red Wings still play a "puck possession" style it would be best to see if any "decent" puck moving Dmen are available; Streit would be a nice addition.

Of the op's list - I'd prefer Dubinsky.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#51 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Saw today that the Isles may be moving Okposo. Rumor was he wants to go play home in Minny with his friend Parise......

#52 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Could be true. Gophers Kid and Sioux kid playing on a already decent Wild team. I guess it could happen.