• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

Give you a top-five goaltender who is also from Michigan? That's a bit of a tall order, given that only three goalies in sum who are playing in the NHL hail from Michigan. Fortunately, Miller being from Michigan means precisely nothing, both absolutely and in comparison to the other considerations when evaluating a goalie. A player will not magically begin playing better should he return to play in his home state, so Miller's state of origin is utterly unimportant. 

Would you like me to simply list the top five goalies in the league? That's disputable, and in fact most goalies in the league are in roughly the same range. So I'll go ahead and list five goalies who are currently better than Miller:

Rinne

Lundquist

Anderson

Rask

Quick

Miller belongs in the same "good, but not exceptional" category as Howard does, though he has declined over the past few seasons and is probably no longer as good as Howard is. His excellent 2008-2009 season and his great showing in the Olympics mean precisely nothing. The former was four seasons ago and the latter was more than three years ago. He's simply unexceptional.

It does mean something, wheter some people like to admit it or not. His brother is playing on the team also, Miller might need a change of scenery and blossom again in his home-town? I am saying all things considered, it would just make too much sense - if the price is right - thats all. Rinne, Lundquist are no brainers I'll agree but the other 3:

Quick - one outstanding season, outgoaltended by Bernier this year

Rask - first year as the starter lets see if he can keep this up

Andersson - thats a tough one all things considered I would agree, right now he is better and has a great future ahead of him.

To me the olympics exactly showed, what Miller can do with a great team in front of him, yeah the Wings defense sucks but with a deep draft coming up and an elite-goaltender behind the net, this could be fixed soon. If people would like too, a case for Luongo could also be made the guy has won a gold medal.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#22 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Sorry but Howard is better than Miller, cheaper than Miller, younger than Miller-more years left to play, and we already have him. Why is this being discussed at all?

In 3 of the last 4 seasons, Howard has had better GAA's, better save %, and more wins. Only in the 2010/2011 season did Miller have better numbers. Howard is also 4 years younger.

Edited by Richdg, 20 March 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

It does mean something, wheter some people like to admit it or not. His brother is playing on the team also, Miller might need a change of scenery and blossom again in his home-town? I am saying all things considered, it would just make too much sense - if the price is right - thats all. Rinne, Lundquist are no brainers I'll agree but the other 3:

Blossom? He's past his prime. And don't you think that "might" is the most important word in that sentence? We already have a good goalie. He is younger than Miller and better than Miller, and he's already on the team. It would make very little sense.

Quick - one outstanding season, outgoaltended by Bernier this year

Oh, so his value is circumstantial whereas Miller is excellent on the basis of his one good NHL season and one good Olympic performance?

To me the olympics exactly showed, what Miller can do with a great team in front of him, yeah the Wings defense sucks but with a deep draft coming up and an elite-goaltender behind the net, this could be fixed soon. If people would like too, a case for Luongo could also be made the guy has won a gold medal.

The Olympics were three years ago. Miller is past his prime, and Luongo is past his prime.

#24 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Blossom? He's past his prime. And don't you think that "might" is the most important word in that sentence? We already have a good goalie. He is younger than Miller and better than Miller, and he's already on the team. It would make very little sense.

Oh, so his value is circumstantial whereas Miller is excellent on the basis of his one good NHL season and one good Olympic performance?

The Olympics were three years ago. Miller is past his prime, and Luongo is past his prime.

No the current goalie = Howard =/= Miller. Miller has had more than one good season, goaltenders are getting elite status just for one good season. Especially Quick will have to show, that he can at least come close to the season he had last year and Rask like mentioned is in his first year as a starter, so slow down here.

kftx.jpg

#25 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

No the current goalie = Howard =/= Miller. Miller has had more than one good season, goaltenders are getting elite status just for one good season. Especially Quick will have to show, that he can at least come close to the season he had last year and Rask like mentioned is in his first year as a starter, so slow down here.

Miller's single exceptional season saw him earn a .929 save percentage and a 2.22 GAA. Howard's best season thus far was his rookie season, in which an inexperienced goalie carried a constantly beat-up team to the playoffs with a .924 save percentage and a 2.26 GAA. Howard's rookie season showed what he is capable of. Miller's best season came when he was nearly 30, and he has not been nearly that good before or since.

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

Whatever I think it would be a gamble - given the right price - that is fully worth it, but honestly would be shocked if Buffalo is moving him. Other than Enroth who by the way is not a starter so far, they have absolutely no goaltending depth.

kftx.jpg

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Whatever I think it would be a gamble - given the right price - that is fully worth it, but honestly would be shocked if Buffalo is moving him. Other than Enroth who by the way is not a starter so far, they have absolutely no goaltending depth.

It would be worth it for the Sabres, as they'd receive a younger goaltender of equal or greater ability than Miller. It would not be worth it for the Red Wings, who would be downgrading in the name of sentimentality.