• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

I would choose Smith/Quincey because Smith is the best player out of the four by far. 

That being said, I would rather have Colaiacovo over Quincey. Cola moved the puck well the three games he was healthy and the Red Wings defense lacks that skill overall. 

I disagree.  Smith has the highest potential of all four, but he's not the best player (yet).  Smith gets absolutely exposed every time he plays against speedier teams.  Remember that game a couple of weeks ago against Nashville?  The one where Mike Fisher absolutely owned Smith so badly that they did a montage of it during the broadcast?  That's Mike Fischer mind you, not some superstar and he ended the night with a goal and two assists.  Smith and Quincey are AWFUL against a moderate forecheck.  So again, against a slower, bigger, team then maybe they'd be the better choice.  But against a team that forechecks, White and Colaiacovo are far and away the better option as far as retrieving the puck and getting it up ice to the forwards.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#22 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,075 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

did you just say quincey is offensive minded ......................

Well a lot of goals are scored when Quincey is on the ice

#23 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

I miss Danny Markov

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

I miss Danny Markov and Andy Delmore

Fixed  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Quincey and Smith are both higher risk players.  That's really the only similarity.  They have very different styles to their game.

So Quincey is a stay at home defenseman in your opinion then?

Or is Smith?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#26 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

Smith has played pretty well lately and Quincey is no where near as bad as this board implies.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#27 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

Colaiacovo over Quincey, but Smith has really improved and still has promise, so no thanks to White.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#28 Firefighter4WingedWheel

Firefighter4WingedWheel

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Quincey/Smith

Lots of potential in the younger smith.  However, if Colaiacovo can stay healthy he will be a force to be recokoned with.  Cola has great vision and moves the puck extremely well.

12058313233_9807d41377_o.jpg

#29 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

On paper, Cola is a great fit for us. But his being injury prone prevents him from really being effective.
On paper, Cola is a great fit for us. But his being injury prone prevents him from really being effective.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#30 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

This is a tough question and a good topic.  Kudos to the OP.  Quincey and Smith definitely have the higher ceiling and more potential, but they're so flagrantly boneheaded I find myself at a loss for words at times.  Colaiacovo and White were often overmatched physically, but they didn't make poor decisions the way Quincey and Smith do.  So for a career I'd take Quincey and Smith, for a single playoff series this year I'd take White and Colaiacovo.  Also depends on the size of the team we're playing.  A smaller, faster, team and I'd definitely take White and Colaiacovo, a bigger and slower team would be better served with Quincey and Smith.

We would have advanced past Chicago with White/Cola

#31 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

We would have advanced past Chicago with White/Cola

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll just assume since this is LGW that you are. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#32 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,824 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

This is a tough question and a good topic.  Kudos to the OP.  Quincey and Smith definitely have the higher ceiling and more potential, but they're so flagrantly boneheaded I find myself at a loss for words at times.  Colaiacovo and White were often overmatched physically, but they didn't make poor decisions the way Quincey and Smith do.  So for a career I'd take Quincey and Smith, for a single playoff series this year I'd take White and Colaiacovo.  Also depends on the size of the team we're playing.  A smaller, faster, team and I'd definitely take White and Colaiacovo, a bigger and slower team would be better served with Quincey and Smith.

I can agree with this post. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman