• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Uh.... And what happens if Monster gets injured during the game?

Paterson is right out of juniors, he hasn't even played an AHL game yet, let alone an NHL game.

Attention... Today's backup goaltender has never played in a pro hockey game in his life before.

And he'll probably suck.

#22 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

Fear not.  Ken Holland is in the building.  He's worn the pillows. 

Please,don't get hurt, Mr Monster.

#23 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

this! With Monster in net I always feel the next shot goes in but it almost never happens :)

This season showed how big of a mistake we made paying average goalie 5M per year. Gustaffson was clearly the better one.

nicholsonlaugh.gif

right... better goalie

#24 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

Interesting. Gotta love all the mixed messages in the playoffs. Surprised they don't have Mrazak coming up though considering Gustavsson hasn't exactly been the most robust goalie this year. I'd feel a bit more comfortable with Mrazak if a groin injury pops up again.

But in any event, I still am not wholly buying the concussion rumor. I've seen the play, heard several people report it, but something about the whole situation just feels a bit off for it to be a concussion. Wouldn't something like that have been caught sooner than pre-game warmups? And wasn't Gus told before warmups that he might get the start? From what I understand, Jimmy was in the pre-game warmups and the call was made after that he couldn't go. If they had a suspicion that something was up and it was a concussion, he wouldn't be taking pre-game warmups. Concussions aren't something you see if you can play through. So I'm thinking it really is the flu or it's some other more minor injury they're trying to hide as it's the playoffs. Again, keep in mind that Babcock said after Friday's practice that Gus was starting game 5 and he expected Howard to be backup. He would know if it's a concussion or not, and if he knew it was a concussion, he'd know Howard isn't going to be the backup, and there just isn't really any psychological angle to suggesting otherwise.

Maybe I'm reaching, but something doesn't add up, and I'd prefer to believe that it's truly the flu or a more minor injury. It's far more likely that he could return for game 6 if we pull off a win if it's one of those two things, whereas if it is a concussion, you'd have to think he's at least done for this series. I'm really not trying to be negative about Gus, because I think he's a fine backup and he was great in game 4, but he's the backup and Jimmy is the starter for a reason.

I disagree, I think the concussion thing makes the most sense.  I'm thinking Jimmy kept saying he was fine and was somehow able to fake his way through the protocol.  He probably did or said something before game 4 that made the medical staff realize he wasn't good to go.  Much more plausible to me than the flu at the very last second. Also, if he was just a little ill, he'd be the backup and they wouldn't have named Monster the starter so soon.  

#25 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Yeah, if he were being punished or sick, he'd be backing up Gustavsson. I don't think they're playing mind games this time. Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#26 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

Yup good ol wings brass hiding a minor injury by saying it's a concussion, don't know how you cracked the code

No one from the Wings had said it's a concussion, so not sure what you're getting at here.

-Elliot

#27 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

Doesn't matter now, but Howard backed up, which I'd think dispels the concussion theory. Maybe we'll find out the real story in the next day or so. At least Gus came in and did everything you could ask of him. He definitely gave us more than a chance in both these games.

-Elliot