• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Neomaxizoomdweebie

2019 Training Camp

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Based on his history of being a good faceoff guy throughout his career.  Even Larkin wasn't good at faceoffs as a 19 year old in the NHL, so I'm not really concerned with his rookie stats.  He's always shown a willingness and commitment to the finer points of being a center. 

For the 3rd time, I'm only bringing up Vilardi because you seemed to think he's the "better player" and never had serious questions about his game despite him being pretty slow.  And the reason I'm focusing on the "slow" thing is because it's the only part of your rationale that makes sense to me. 

If I'm understanding your sentiments correctly you seem to think Rasmussen is better suited for the wings because A) he's too slow to be a good center, and B) he's got some qualities that would make him a good winger like a net front presence and ability to win board battles.  I'm having a hard time understanding this logic because:

• Rasmussen isn't really slow.
  • You haven't had similar concerns about other slow players' ability to play center in the NHL.
  • There are tons of good centers who aren't especially fast.
  • And, lots of centers have qualities that would make them good wingers. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be centers.  Larkin, for instance, was a great winger his rookie season.  A much better one than Rasmussen has been FWIW.  Thank god the coaching staff and GM preferred to keep him at his natural position. 

"For the 3rd time", your Vilardi point makes absolutely no sense... According to most draft analysts he was the "better player" at the time. That has nothing to do with what position he or Rasmussen would eventually play at the NHL level...

Good faceoff guy throughout his career? He was 52% his last season in the WHL, while being a man amongst boys. He also lost the 1C spot to Geekie (3rd round pick), and was moved to the wing for their playoff run...

Larkin is a phenomenal skater and has all the raw tools of a natural center. So yeah, "thank god the coaching staff and GM preferred to keep him at his natural position"...

No, not all centers need to be elite skaters, but if we have three elite skaters (Larkin, Veleno, Athanasiou) on our team that are all capable centers, that's where *I* would prefer to slot them. You disagree? Cool...

You're acting as if I said Rasmussen sucks and will never be a quality center. That's not at all what I'm saying. I think he's better suited on the wing. Maybe he plays well enough as a center this year and next, and I change my tune. Or maybe it's a failed experiment and he's moved back to the wing in a year's time...

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

I vaguely remember hearing McIsaac would be spending another year in the Q.

Yeah, McIsaac isn't eligible to play in the AHL this season. He'll spend one more season in Halifax before hopefully going on a long run with the Griffins next spring.