• Tomas Holmstrom revealed that his left knee was bothering him throughout the playoffs, requiring pain-killing shots. He said a variety of injuries (hernia, back, knee) took their toll on this season. No surgery needed this summer, just rest, he said.
"It's been a mess ... there was always something going on,'' Holmstrom said. "For sure it was really frustrating. You try to do your best. What can you do?''
Holmstrom failed to score a goal in the last 19 playoff games.
• Marian Hossa said he still hopes to get a long-term contract with the Wings.
"Detroit is at the top of my list for sure,'' Hossa said. "We'll see what's going to happen with today's economy, with the salary cap and everything. You never know what can happen.''
• Backup goaltender Ty Conklin indicated a strong desire to re-sign with the Wings.
"I enjoyed it here,'' Conklin said. "I was able to play a decent amount. I enjoyed the locker room. It's a hard locker room not to like, lot of good people here.''
If the Wings re-sign Conklin to be Chris Osgood's backup again next season, they would need to trade Jimmy Howard, who is out of minor-league options.
• Restricted free agent forward Ville Leino said he expects to get a deal done with the Wings but said he is done playing in Grand Rapids and would want to be assured he will have a roster spot with the team.
"I don't want to play in the AHL anymore, and I won't do that anymore,'' Leino said.
Coach Mike Babcock said that isn't an issue, that Leino will be with the team.
• Babcock indicated that forward Justin Abdelkader likely will spend another season in Grand Rapids.
• Defenseman Brian Rafalski revealed that in addition to the herniated disc he suffered between the first and second rounds, he also separated his shoulder in the Chicago series.