• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

2006 French Open

Rate this topic

The French Open, the second Grand Slam of 2006, gets underway today. World No.1 Roger Federer is through to the second round despite struggling early in the first set where he was down two service breaks. Nadal has won 55 consecutive matches on Clay and will be the one to beat. Other threats are David Nalbandian and after coming off a Masters series win Tommy Robredo could also be a danger man.

On the Women’s side it is very wide open with many players having a strong chance of success. World No.1 Amelie Mauresmo will be looking to finally have some success at her home Grand Slam. Clijsters, Petrova, and Henin-Hardenne are all major chances, and Maria Sharapova could also be in with a chance. As I type this Sharapova just saved two match points, her ankle is restricting her movement badly. Lets hope she can recover.

My predictions:

Men's: Federer def Nadal.

Women's: Henin-Hardenne def Mauresmo.

IPB Image

PARIS (AP) Maria Sharapova's ankle was throbbing, her shots were off-target, and she was one point from losing to Mashona Washington in the French Open's first round.

What rankled Sharapova the most, though, after she overcame three match points to beat the 97th-ranked American 6-2, 5-7, 7-5, was that she was playing at all. This was, after all, the first Grand Slam tournament to start on a Sunday instead of Monday, a bid to sell more tickets, reach a larger TV audience and promote the game.

The first round is being stretched over three days, and Sharapova wanted a Day 2 debut because of her health, the sort of request tennis players often make -- and often are granted. The 2004 Wimbledon champion hadn't played since April 1, sidelined by an injured right ankle.

"I asked if I could play later. The answer was, 'You're playing Sunday, fourth match,' " the fourth-seeded Sharapova said.

"How did it make me feel? Well, it doesn't make you feel great when you know that the French federation, all they're thinking about is selling tickets, making money and about their players. I mean, can't be too happy about that."

Link

Interesting situation. I think she has every right to be angry, they haven't treated her too well. What do you think?

This is the one slam I don't really watch. Alot of it has to do with the match-times. Supposedly they are on ESPN2 here but I'm in a bad time zone to catch any of the matches. Also, in the true spirit of being an American, the French just bug me. I have to agree with Sharapova. My perception is that they are the rudest hosts of the four slams - OK I'm biased- but that's the way I feel. Am I wrong? It didn't help when they booed Serena Williams a few years ago. I guess I just don't like it. Anyhow, I'll pay attention to whose winning, but I'll have scarce commentary.

Please contribute, or else I’ll be talking to myself for two weeks! :lol:

Yeh I agree this is the worst of the 4 Slams. I also thought it was very poor how they booed Roddick as he retired, even though it was a very good effort for him to even be out there. He badly injured his ankle only last week and managed to play two sets before the pain become so bad he was forced to retire.

Please contribute, or else I’ll be talking to myself for two weeks! :lol:

Yeh I agree this is the worst of the 4 Slams. I also thought it was very poor how they booed Roddick as he retired, even though it was a very good effort for him to even be out there. He badly injured his ankle only last week and managed to play two sets before the pain become so bad he was forced to retire.

See I didn't even know that Roddick retired. Yesterday? Not on the news out here anyways. He never does well at the French anyways. Why would they boo Roddick? What a bunch of miscreant tennis fans.

To the French fans "I fahrt in your general direction - your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries"

[attachmentid=163]

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

Some big matches tomorrow.

Venus Williams vs. Patty Schnyder

Justine Henin-Hardenne vs. Anastasia Myskina

Maria Sharapova vs. Dinara Safina

Lleyton Hewitt is still fighting, however he will likley face Nadal who is currently serving for a 2 sets to 1 lead.

17 year old Nicole Vaidisova just defeated World No.1 Amelie Mauresmo 6-7, 6-1, 6-2. Year after year Mauresmo finds a way to choke at her home Grand Slam, and isn't it great! :P

Vaidisova played unbelievable today, her ground strokes were on fire, with plenty of power and precision. She really is one of the best young players on tour. She now faces Venus Williams in the Quarter Finals.

Lleyton Hewitt will face Rafael Nadal tomorrow and I don't have much confidence. Lleyton is playing great but I think there's only one man who can possibly beat Nadal...

To the French fans "I fahrt in your general direction - your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries"

[attachmentid=163]

Just curious. Why would you put a picture of Tim the Enchanter up for that quote. Tim never says that quote in that movie. It was the french guard in the castle shown below that said that.

IPB Image

Edited by timothy1997

I guess because I didn't want to put the French guy up there since it was the French I was making fun of with their own quote....right back at them. So I just picked Tim - no good reason really....but to correct myself:

"Follow, but follow only if ye be men of valor! For the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so fowl, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of four fifty men lie strewn about its lair! So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage, or your strength, come nay further, for death awaits you all . . . with nasty big pointy teeth!"

IPB Image

The French Open is also my least favorite of the Grand Slams. Maybe it's the slow pace or the fact that none of my favorite players growing up (Pete Sampras for one) did well at the tournament.

I have been watching though, and Hingis has been surprising me. She's been doing pretty well and I see her as a real threat. She had a little trouble in her last match but at this point, I'm gonna predict her for the win.

I haven't seen as many mens matches, just the Nadal/Hewitt match today, which was all right. It's difficult to ever predict anyone but Federer to win a Slam, but I'm gonna pick Nadal as my horse.

I thought the Nadal/Hewitt game was played at a brilliant standard. I was very pleased with the way Hewitt played especially considering he’s barely played in the last few months and clay is his least favourite surface. He will be one to watch at Wimbledon that’s for sure.

Federer is up against Ancic tonight which should be an absolute beauty. Ancic beat Federer back at Wimbledon in 2002 so this game will be very interesting. I genuinely believe Federer will win the French this year, he’s been getting closer to Nadal every time and Nadal’s spent almost 9 hours on court in his last two matches.

On the women’s side I can’t see anyone beating Henin-Hardenne, she’s just at the top of her game right now. I would love to see Hingis win it as it would mean she’s won every Grand Slam.

So Henin-Hardenne v Kuznetsova in the women's final. Can't say it interests me at all.

The men's final on the other hand should be a beauty. Federer v Nadal yet again, and this time I feel Federer will finally be able to beat him. Last time they played it was a 5 set thriller, with Federer losing the match despite holding 3 match points. He's been getting closer to Nadal every time and I believe he'll go one better tomorrow.

I'm finally catching my first match of this tourney... the men's final! I saw a little bit of the end of yesterday's semi w/Nadal, but that's it.

This is quite an interesting final. We're halfway through the third set, and I have no idea who is gonna win. It's not terrific tennis (I guess it is over 90 degrees F out there), but it is very interesting to watch. I'm hoping both players will really pick up their game in the 4th set - especially Federer. He's not moving around quickly at all, and if he doesn't move his feet more, I don't think he's gonna win.

Well it’s not looking good. Nadal takes the 3rd set 6-4 and immediately breaks in the 4th set and leads 2-1. Federer was awesome in the 1st set and really came out aggressive. But it’s all gone downhill, Nadal has barely made an error in the last hour and Federer, as you said, isn’t moving well and he’s just making error after error. His single-handed backhand has been exploited today; the heat of the Nadal forehand is just making it impossible for Federer to control. Let’s hope things change.

Only match I saw this whole tourney. Men's final started at 7am my time - so I caught it after the first set. Wouldn't you know when I'm actually rooting for Roger Federer to win - he doesn't. :( Whenever he plays Roddick, or anyone else for that matter, and I root his opponent, Federer crushes him. Nothing personal against Nadal - just like Federer better.

Although watching Henin-Hardenne play is kind of fun - I don't really care for her either. Esp. after the Aussie Open stunt. Glad I didn't watch.

Wimbledon - should get to see more matches.

I also watched the first match of this tourney today. :P

IMO Nadal really exploited Federer's backhand, and it's a lot easier to do so when you're a lefty (being a lefty myself I can attest to this). Federer needed to do the same but it's difficult to do when the vast majority of his opponents are right-handed including every other top 15 player not named Nadal.