• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Fighting

Rate this topic

Is fighting good for Ice Hockey  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the fighting in Ice Hockey has often drawn it a bad reputation. But do you think its good or bad for the sport?

I think its a good thing that gives the sport an extra edge.

EDIT:

Crap I **cked up the poll. lol. Well my excuse is Im new here.

Edited by uk_redwing

Fighting is good for hockey.. when a team is down my a goal you send out your heavyweight and hope he wins the fight so you get some momentum swinging your way

Exactly.

People think that it makes the game less skilled and just for thugs, but fighting is something that really is a beautiful art in hockey. It has strategic value, emotional value and motivational value if it's used correctly, and it's something that I think has to be kept as part of the game.

Honestly as I get older, I could take it or leave it. My fear would be if they eliminated it, then all the cheapshot artists would have free reign, and the game would get uglier.

Growing up I loved watching Probert or Kocur destroy someone in a fight. Now it's not really that big a deal. Occasionally I want someone on the Wings to pummel a player in response to a cheapshot, but that's about it.

As for it being motivational when your team is losing, I put less stock in that than I used to. I think it's a myth. having your heavyweight beat the tar out of someone may vent some frustration for the losing team, but I don't think it really builds any momentum that translates to the game.

Like with Calgary a couple seasons back, watching Iginla try and goad someone into a fight every single time Calgary was going to lose just seemed sort of pathetic and desparate. And I like Iginla.

But I do take issue with people who claim hockey is a thug sport because of fighting. Having two guys try and duke it out while standing on skates seems a lot more fair than rocketing a 90 mph fastball in a guy's ear because the other pitcher hit one of your players.

iam with you haroldsnepsts when you say your last part

But I do take issue with people who claim hockey is a thug sport because of fighting. Having two guys try and duke it out while standing on skates seems a lot more fair than rocketing a 90 mph fastball in a guy's ear because the other pitcher hit one of your players.

Great for hockey as long as its not to excessive and as long at it doesnt happen in the last couple minutes of the game. I hate when players cant take to lose and feel they have to fight the winners for simply being better then they are.