• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CMatt89

What about this scenario?

Rate this topic

Since it's clear Holland doesn't want to lose alot of prospects, or assets, why don't we forget about the "top 6 forward". I don't think we really need it. We have the veteran leadership to carry us in the playoffs, we have the star power, and we have the skill. Everyone knows, it's the toughness were lacking. So by bringing in older guys like Guerin, and Roberts or injured guys like Bertuzzi, will that really help us out in the toughness department? This is what should be done:

Go after 2 or 3 players. Not older expensive guys. Get big, young, one dimensional role players. Guys who are waiting to prove themselves in the NHL. Get some cheap guys who will just hit, shoot, and fight when needed. They don't need the big minutes, replace Hudler and Langfeld with those types of guys. The way I see it, Langfeld and Hudler get 5 minutes or less a game. So, why not replace them with gritty young, role-playing forwards? I believe they will have a bigger impact on the team than Langfeld and Hudler.

To fix our second line, I think Fillpula should be on it. Cleary - Lang - Fillpula. Our first and 3rd lines are set. Now the 4th line would be either Williams at center or wing..then put 2 big, grinding, young guys around him. This would solve our toughness issue. Of course these to guys wouldn't put us in the final...But they sure could help.

Also, maybe even replace Markov with a Lilja-sized, young hitter, than our D would be solid as hell.

So, when Holland says we lack toughness, why don't we actully get it? Forget the big star player. We have that in Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom.

Here's what we do. Three way trade bringing us Mac and Lapointe, in return CHI and CAL get a oh idk.... a happy meal each

j/k

Why do you want to replace Markov? I think he's been playing pretty good as of late.

I don't see anyone here complaining about the D (Lilja doesn't count).

I'm not too crazy about Kronwall, he's young, but still... a rare 1st round for us and he could be crappin out

Since it's clear Holland doesn't want to lose alot of prospects, or assets, why don't we forget about the "top 6 forward". I don't think we really need it. We have the veteran leadership to carry us in the playoffs, we have the star power, and we have the skill. Everyone knows, it's the toughness were lacking. So by bringing in older guys like Guerin, and Roberts or injured guys like Bertuzzi, will that really help us out in the toughness department? This is what should be done:

Go after 2 or 3 players. Not older expensive guys. Get big, young, one dimensional role players. Guys who are waiting to prove themselves in the NHL. Get some cheap guys who will just hit, shoot, and fight when needed. They don't need the big minutes, replace Hudler and Langfeld with those types of guys. The way I see it, Langfeld and Hudler get 5 minutes or less a game. So, why not replace them with gritty young, role-playing forwards? I believe they will have a bigger impact on the team than Langfeld and Hudler.

To fix our second line, I think Fillpula should be on it. Cleary - Lang - Fillpula. Our first and 3rd lines are set. Now the 4th line would be either Williams at center or wing..then put 2 big, grinding, young guys around him. This would solve our toughness issue. Of course these to guys wouldn't put us in the final...But they sure could help.

Also, maybe even replace Markov with a Lilja-sized, young hitter, than our D would be solid as hell.

So, when Holland says we lack toughness, why don't we actully get it? Forget the big star player. We have that in Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom.

Who do you suggest? On paper it doesn't sound like a terrible idea, but who are these hot shot players that can hit, shoot, and fight?

We already own physical presense in Norton and Bootland, and we tried them out in the beginning of the season. How'd that work out for us? What Holland is looking for is a player that instills the same fear as one of those goons but who won't take a spot away from someone who can actually shoot. Unfortunately it's a dying role in the NHL, so there aren't many young choices out there.

Here's what we do. Three way trade bringing us Mac and Lapointe, in return CHI and CAL get a oh idk.... a happy meal each

j/k

I'm not too crazy about Kronwall, he's young, but still... a rare 1st round for us and he could be crappin out

Even though I'm one of Mac's biggest fans, I don't believe he's the answer. I would be all for adding a Lapointe-type of player, but I would want the DMac from 5 years ago, rather than the current version.

Sidenote: I love you DMac. Here's hoping you get back to form this upcoming season.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Even though I'm one of Mac's biggest fans, I don't believe he's the answer. I would be all for adding Lapointe, but I would want DMac from 5 years ago, rather than the current version.

Sidenote: I love you DMac. Here's hoping you get back to form this upcoming season.

I know what you mean. It definitely has been a tough for him in Calgary, mix of being hurt, not seeing a lot of time etc. Still would be nice to see 25 back in a Wing jersey, maybe not nice to see on the ice though.

Guest Crymson

Markov is possibly our best hitter, and our defense is the best in the league. Why mess with that?

Guest Crymson

this is basically what Anahiem has done this year... fill out a roster with skilled players and then basically fill the holes with young, gritty, hungry, team guys

We'll have that next year.

See this list: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0314/1128/rss16

Our scouting team IS excellent; however, most players we pick do not immediately enter the system, as they are later in the draft (Kindl is an exception). Those players are generally picked later because of some shortcoming; Zetterberg and Datsyuk were considered far too small, for example.

EDIT: Johan "the rhino" Ryno sounds pretty cool. If he comes up next year, he's another reason why we don't need Lapointe.

Edited by Crymson

Who do you suggest? On paper it doesn't sound like a terrible idea, but who are these hot shot players that can hit, shoot, and fight?

I'm not suggesting any hot shot players if you read what i wrote. I'm suggesting cheap, 500,000 dollar role players. Guys that are yet to prove themselves. Guys waiting to crack lineups. They don't have to have blazing shots or win every fight, their only here to body guard, provide toughness, and shoot the puck at the net and dig for dirty, garbage goals. I'd take a guy like Brain McGrattan, Colton Orr, guys like that who can fight/ hit and are huge. Who would you rather have on the 4th line, McGrattan or Langfeld?

I also understand having guys like this is a liabilty..but, their not supposed to be playing big minutes. There here to kick someones ass when we play Calgary and Zetterberg gets high sticked and chips his teeth, or Datsyuk gets run and his helmets gets ripped off, ...when Lilja gets blindsided, or when Hartnell on Nashville runs Hasek. I also might consider bringing Norton back up....Maybe.

Also, Markov is too inconsistent. If he's our best hitter, why is it that he can go 3-4 games without getting his name mentioned. He's too quiet to be our best hitter on defense. And plus, he's only thrown about 3 or 4 big hits all year. He's believe he's easily replaceable.

Edited by CMatt89

If Detroit needed someone who would hit anything that moves, they'd trade for Hatcher. If Detroit needed someone who would just leave their gloves at the bench, they'd bring up Bootland. Thankfully Holland realizes that's NOT what this team needs.

Also, Markov is too inconsistent. If he's our best hitter, why is it that he can go 3-4 games without getting his name mentioned. He's too quiet to be our best hitter on defense. And plus, he's only thrown about 3 or 4 big hits all year. He's believe he's easily replaceable.

Lidstrom only gets talked about because he is a Norris trophy winner, the captain and the best guy on the team. Chelios gets mentions because of the age thing (is anyone sick of that every game?). Most of the time if you don't hear a lot about a defenseman that is a good thing. Markov is steady and can move the puck up to the forwards, exactly what we need him to do.

If Detroit needed someone who would hit anything that moves, they'd trade for Hatcher. If Detroit needed someone who would just leave their gloves at the bench, they'd bring up Bootland. Thankfully Holland realizes that's NOT what this team needs.

Whenever I see rumors of Hatcher's return I cringe... uggh. You are spot on though. Bootland and Norton have had their shots. Unfortunately they can't cut it.

Guest Crymson

Whenever I see rumors of Hatcher's return I cringe... uggh. You are spot on though. Bootland and Norton have had their shots. Unfortunately they can't cut it.

You're spot-on about Markov. You put it well.

We have argued that we only need a 4th line hitter, to be played few minutes per game. As long as Langfeld sucks ass and plays ~5-6 minutes per game, I don't know why Norton isn't in his place.

Edited by Crymson

Johan "the rhino" Ryno sounds pretty cool. If he comes up next year, he's another reason why we don't need Lapointe.

I hope you're right, he sounds like a dream come true.

Guest Crymson

I hope you're right, he sounds like a dream come true.

Do you not think that Nolan--who can score, defend, and hit, and will have no contract next year--is a better idea?

We have argued that we only need a 4th line hitter, to be played few minutes per game. As long as Langfeld sucks ass and plays ~5-6 minutes per game, I don't know why Norton isn't in his place.

No idea... but for some reason Babcock or Holland or both don't want him in the line-up.

Do you not think that Nolan--who can score, defend, and hit, and will have no contract next year--is a better idea?

Only knock on him is that he's more injury prone. Not having to worry about a contract for next year is appealing though. The bigger question is what do you give up for an Owen Nolan?

Guest Crymson

Only knock on him is that he's more injury prone. Not having to worry about a contract for next year is appealing though. The bigger question is what do you give up for an Owen Nolan?

Not much. He's of the older, cheaper sort. The Coyotes aim to inject more youth into their team, which means getting rid of the oldies.

Better than the Rhyno? Not sure... Remind if I am wrong, but didn't Nolan sign during the season with the Yotes? He has/had some injury problems, right? I would like to see Nolan here this season if the price was right. Therein lies the problem... price being right. He seems like a guy who could replace a little of that Shanny swagger we miss.

Guest Crymson

Better than the Rhyno? Not sure... Remind if I am wrong, but didn't Nolan sign during the season with the Yotes? He has/had some injury problems, right? I would like to see Nolan here this season if the price was right. Therein lies the problem... price being right. He seems like a guy who could replace a little of that Shanny swagger we miss.

Nolan is a rental, as per this article:

http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/story_details.php?ID=5217

EDIT: and this http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=2408&hubname=

Edited by Crymson

Which move helps the Wings more in your opinion? Someone with an expiring contract like a rental or trying to get someone who may want to stick around a bit?

Which move helps the Wings more in your opinion? Someone with an expiring contract like a rental or trying to get someone who may want to stick around a bit?

It depends if we're looking to make room for a big time FA in the offseason... Is there a game changer out there for nex season? Obviously, Forsberg may be available. Fatchuck, Guerin, Nolan... anyone else?