• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheLegend19

Hockey Fights are a Double-Edged Sword

Rate this topic

As usual, John Buccigross is great. If you missed his column on the Saskin and Simon dealings, definately read it.

BTW, I love his mailbags...

John,

I saw R.E.M. at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta in 1987 (I think?) on the "Document" tour. I was 14 years old. A drunk guy behind me spilled his beer down my back, and when I tried to act tough and ignore his attempts at an apology, he whacked me in the head. I remember he was wearing a Red Wings jersey.

Sterling Bacon

Atlanta

Joey Kocur?

:lol:

Great article. Actually, all of his articles are usually gems.

He painted both sides of the fence on that one.

I think, eventually, there is going to be a very serious injury from a fight (as if having an orbital bone or cheek bone caved in isn't bad enough). And when it does, fighting might come to an end.

The biggest thing that fighting does is eliminate the cheapshots and star players from being touched. Unless the league can provide means of protection from both, fighting isn't going anywhere. That is until someone is killed or is seriously, permanently injured from a fight. (Unless, of course, that someone is a person like Nick "the Caveman" Kypreos, at which point people will stand up and cheer)

Edited by Hank

My opinion on Fedoruk:

You dont have to fight dude, if you do you may get hurt. If you dont want to get knocked the F out, then dont fight.

I think they should make guys that fight in hockey were boxing gloves ;)

Sorry the guy got hurt, but cmon the guy wanted to drop em and got racked for it.

Off topic, but I think Bucci is the only guy at ESPN who actually likes the Red Wings. I know he is always praising Zetterberg, and he has even talked abotu going to Wings games a couple times.

Actually, I think he may be the only guy at ESPN who likes hockey.

Off topic, but I think Bucci is the only guy at ESPN who actually likes the Red Wings. I know he is always praising Zetterberg, and he has even talked abotu going to Wings games a couple times.

He also thinks Ken and Mick are among the best announcers in the league.

Buccigross was always my favorite analyst, and he was so good on NHL2NIGHT. I miss all the catch phrases and pet names he had for players.

"THE TWISTED WRISTER"

Classic :lol:

I listen to Phil Esposito and some other guy on In The Slot (or something like that on XM) and Phil made a good point about fighting in the NHL today. Basically when he was in the league guys would get pissed at each other and drop the gloves where now there are too many fights that are obviously manufactured (for lack of a better term). There is no emotion, just two guys who have a job to do and in Phil's words "One guy taps the other guy on the pads and says let's go". Obviously that is not the case with all fights but it does bring up a good point and I see what he is talking about. The Fedoruk fight is a perfect example of that.

Don't get me wrong I love hockey fights even if they are manufactured but I think he makes a good point. Fights that occur naturally and emotionally are better and more in line with the way the game should be played. Manufactured fights are obviously initiated to shift momentum but they also allow players who probably don't belong in the league to take a spot from someone with better skills (and who may still be able to fight, just not as well).

My overall tance on fighting...

It's definitely needed in the NHL, but I don't want games to constantly get out of control with 15 fights a game.

I hate how referees usually break them up way too early.

I like your regular 1-on-1 fights every now and then.

And finally, I know it's in the heat of the moment where your body and mind are thinking at 100 MPH so you probably don't have time to gather your thoughts, but to the future ones who get in fights on the ice, if you lose the helmets and glove then go at it, a huge :thumbup: to you for going about the fight the right and fair way.