• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Gordie Howe Autograph Signing This Weekend

Rate this topic

Hello - Gordie howe will be in Denver this Saturday for an autographing signing at one of the sports memories stores at the local mall. I have purchased a ticket to get an autograph, however I have never been to one of these type of signings.

If anyone could offer some answers/advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Questions:

1. Are you allowed to shake the signee's hand after he signs your item?

2. If I bring my 3-year old son in his Red Wings jersey would they allow me to take a picture of him with Gordie Howe?

3. Is it better to arrive at the start of the signing time period (3pm - 4:30pm) or at the end?

4. Any other suggestions/comments?

Thanks in advance. I am really excited about this and do not want to make an ass of myself in front of Mr. Hockey. :blush:

Well, generally the best thing to do is to show up early, find out who is running the show & make sure that you get direct answers to all your questions ahead of time. As for specifics, I think that really depends on the circumstances.

Edited by Bender

I have a friend that collects autographs. From what he has told me, Gordie is very willing to do extra for the fans (such as pictures and such), but his agent is very eager to see that he only does what he is getting paid to do...

Gordie was doing a book signing at the local mall a year or so ago and I was just walking through. They were advertising that you couldn't get in line to get his autograph and a picture taken unless you bought the book. I jumped in the line with my friend who just happened to be there and ended up talking to Gordie for awhile even though I didn't have a book for him to sign. He even took a picture with me with my camera instead of the professional guy there that would take your picture then you had to go online and pay for it. He was really great.

Gordie was doing a book signing at the local mall a year or so ago and I was just walking through. They were advertising that you couldn't get in line to get his autograph and a picture taken unless you bought the book. I jumped in the line with my friend who just happened to be there and ended up talking to Gordie for awhile even though I didn't have a book for him to sign. He even took a picture with me with my camera instead of the professional guy there that would take your picture then you had to go online and pay for it. He was really great.

Mr. Howe is very gracious and accomodating. He was at a signing a few years back, and ended up chatting with me and my father for about 10 minutes. Several pictures were taken. All in all, a very nice man.

Make sure you mention his restaurant in northern Michigan. He loves that place.

I took my boys when they were like eight and ten to a book signing at the National Junior Championship. He was awsome, he chatted with the boys, one at a time. Then told them to turn around so mom could get a picture, then he kicked them both in the ass. I have some priceless pictures. The book I did buy and has been in a safe all these years. :clap:

Hello everyone, and thanks for the info and comments regarding Gordie Howe signature events.

My little guy and I went to the mall this afternoon to see Gordie, and it was a nice experience. When he first appeared at the store and started to sit down at the table to begin siginig, the crowd that was waiting in line began to clap loudly. The sound was quite loud and everyone else in the mall stopped and turned around to see what was happening. Many people slowed down as they were passing by the store to see who it was, and we could hear many of the guys saying that they wished they were in line to get an autograph.

I had never met Gordie before and he is quite charming in person as others have mentioned. He was joking with all of us who came for an autograph and everyone had pictures taken with him. I shook his hand and told him it was an honor and a privilege to meet him.

Below is a link to a photo I took of my son Graham (3 1/2 ears old) and Gordie.

Hockey Picture

It was a little sad though, as you can tell that Gordie is getting older and he is moving slower now (I believe he turned 79 a few weeks ago). Heck, I'm not a young pup anymore either. When I was 9 years old in 1968 my dad took me to the Opympia to see Gordie play, and although I do not remember who the Wings played or the score, I always remember my dad saying "Watch number 9, Watch number 9".

I hope my son will remember what happened today. He appears to have a good memory.

Thanks again.

I met Gordie geez like early 90s. i was a younging maybe in kindergarten or 1st grade. We were visiting my aunts and shes a friggin Gordie fanatic. But anyways he was giving free autographs at some store thing. All i remember is wondering who this old guy was my aunt was nuts for and whats the big deal about him. Well i found out who he was later in life and now i can say i have his autograph and shook his hand. He talked to me a lil too asking if my mom cut my hair.. i dont know why he said that but oh well. I got him to sign a pic from a Gretzky book i got at a school book fair. The pic has Gordie and Wayne together i wouldnt mind getting Waynes auto on it and frame it. But im glad i can say i met Gordie.