• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kozac

Datsyuk's stick

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Obviously a composite stick does not take you from being Maltby to being Brett Hull, if that were the case Malts himself would have scored 40 goals this past season. It does not make you AMAZING...it helps your shot and your release. If you are not a good hockey player with a wooden stcik then you dont need to get a composite stick, you need to work on your skating and your positioning. Most people I know who have composite sticks including myself are good players who have had their shots become better by using a composite stick.

The last place I played at had 4 tiers of players. From the bottom rung of guys who could barely stay on their feet and couldn't stop or turn at all to guys who played semi-pro or division 1 hockey. I saw players at every level using these expensive sticks. The suckasses simply sucked, as you stated. They're terrible and have no business buying a stick like that. Of course they are free to do as they choose but it makes no sense.

The so-so players that had them still sucked. The good players that had them tended to miss the net alot. I don't know if by having the stick and the knowledge that you can rip it made them overcompensate and they lost some accuracy by trying to "muscle up" a shot but they just seemed to miss the net more than I remember guys doing 10 years ago. As for the elite players, I didn't see much difference nor did the guys I'd talk to really hype it up that much. Most of them would say they liked that the sticks were lighter basically. Other than that they would complain about them snapping or pucks bouncing off their blades too much. Anyway, I played with those guys some sessions and from what I saw, they could beat opposing goalies with a wood stick just as easily as with a composite.

I'm just saying I haven't encountered or seen anybody with one of these sticks be able to do much more than they could before they got the stick. If you're a solid, good player I have no doubt that these sticks would maybe help refine your shot or give you improved velocity. I just bawk at the cost. Doesn't seem like its enough of a bump to warrant paying 10 times as much.

I think the difference between the $100-150 stick and the $200 plus sticks is mostly negligable personally, if you wait and get last years model stick you will be good enough especially for me,

I did not become Brett Hull, but I did get better,

In your mind it might not be worth, which is fine, some of the better players in my league still use wood sticks because they are just better,

Maybe AL macinnis was just better, what if he shot with a composite, maybe he would have been better, he did not need a harder shot, so he did not switch, if likes the feel of wood more power to him.

Actually, Mac did try composites. He didn't like them and didn't see any positive difference so he went back to wood.

I think the difference between the $100-150 stick and the $200 plus sticks is mostly negligable personally, if you wait and get last years model stick you will be good enough especially for me,

I did not become Brett Hull, but I did get better,

In your mind it might not be worth, which is fine, some of the better players in my league still use wood sticks because they are just better,

Maybe AL macinnis was just better, what if he shot with a composite, maybe he would have been better, he did not need a harder shot, so he did not switch, if likes the feel of wood more power to him.

Did the stick help make you better or did just getting more hockey under your belt make you better?

I have a Stealth that weighs 395, and by holding the 9KO I think it is at least 10-15 grams lighter than the Stealth. But the two are probably in the same ball park.

You see there, you're not even speaking my language. Any conversation about stick weight that doesn't use pounds is over my head. I think I had some Louis' once that weighed 3 or 4 pounds :D

Guest snowman89

Actually, Mac did try composites. He didn't like them and didn't see any positive difference so he went back to wood.

Did the stick help make you better or did just getting more hockey under your belt make you better?

You see there, you're not even speaking my language. Any conversation about stick weight that doesn't use pounds is over my head. I think I had some Louis' once that weighed 3 or 4 pounds :D

I know that getting better definetly helped improve my skills, but I have gone back to the wood stick a couple of times since, when I have broken a stick or left it in a friends car, and for me the wood sticks just feel heavy and life less, for me the puck bounces of wood easier, i cant explain i am definetly more picky when it comes my sporting equipment not just hockey, was not blessed with the worlds best physical abilities so I have to rely on other things to get my edge and those things seem to help.

Ya, I have a wood montreal stick that must weigh about 3 or 4 pounds also, but the very stick I bought which is an aluminum roller hockey stick that i think has a brick inside, its classic though

I have a Stealth that weighs 395, and by holding the 9KO I think it is at least 10-15 grams lighter than the Stealth. But the two are probably in the same ball park.

:yowza: thats pretty light. i guess i need to go to the pro shop today and take a look at the stick. i am still a little sketchy about trying new designs out. does anyone remember the reebok blades that curved on the butt end. it was suppose to provide a faster response but it just snapped right away?

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I know that getting better definetly helped improve my skills, but I have gone back to the wood stick a couple of times since, when I have broken a stick or left it in a friends car, and for me the wood sticks just feel heavy and life less, for me the puck bounces of wood easier, i cant explain i am definetly more picky when it comes my sporting equipment not just hockey, was not blessed with the worlds best physical abilities so I have to rely on other things to get my edge and those things seem to help.

Ya, I have a wood montreal stick that must weigh about 3 or 4 pounds also, but the very stick I bought which is an aluminum roller hockey stick that i think has a brick inside, its classic though

It's interesting to hear your story because i've heard some other like it and it sort of goes against the grain. IMO, any sales person who knows what they're doing and knows how to play hockey would never recommend a composite stick to a player who for lack of a better term, wasn't very good. Composite sticks are less forgiving on tough passes and overall, I think they take a better player to utilize effectively. I've read/heard numerous times that composites should not be given to younger players and players of lesser skill for a multitude of reasons. Foremost a player should be fairly adept at stickhandling and shooting to begin with to want to jump to a composite stick. The comp should enhance your skills, not make up for a lack of them basically. I guess that's why I scoff at players who aren't really that good but buy the expensive sticks.

What's the old saying, he's got a $200 stick and a .10 cent game ???

Anyway, if you like it and you think it works for you, great. I just think there's no reason novices, young players and players in general who aren't particularly good to use these sticks. I think they teach bad mechanics and hide alot of problems that should be corrected prior to trying to use them.

Guest snowman89

It's interesting to hear your story because i've heard some other like it and it sort of goes against the grain. IMO, any sales person who knows what they're doing and knows how to play hockey would never recommend a composite stick to a player who for lack of a better term, wasn't very good.

That depends if they are just selling to make money, then they will sell the more expensive stick based on the preface that it will add speed to your shot.

Composite sticks are less forgiving on tough passes and overall, I think they take a better player to utilize effectively. I've read/heard numerous times that composites should not be given to younger players and players of lesser skill for a multitude of reasons. Foremost a player should be fairly adept at stickhandling and shooting to begin with to want to jump to a composite stick. The comp should enhance your skills, not make up for a lack of them basically. I guess that's why I scoff at players who aren't really that good but buy the expensive sticks.

Ya, but when you give those sticks to the younger kids who are just looking for that extra edge just to get noticed. That may help, in the long run proper coaching and technique has to fall upon the coaches and parents, I that situation has tiers as well kids that have a shot at bigger things I think should have any stick can be afforded to them. But for most kids sure I guess they would not be necessary.

What's the old saying, he's got a $200 stick and a .10 cent game ???

HAHA yeah!

I think they teach bad mechanics and hide alot of problems that should be corrected prior to trying to use them.

I agree with you on that for sure, Im sure there are things in my game that are disguised a little because of the stick, more so though are the guys in my league for example that dont move there feet, and just lean on the stick and snaps through and they rip off a hard shot that is not accurate and never leaves the ice, but they feel good because it was wicked hard, and sadly in my league that works.

I think we could discuss different points for days till we are blue in the face and I am going camping tonight so I cant, I think we need to agree to have varying opinions.

I'm curious, and this question is for you and the rest of the forum. For all those who would spend 150-200-250 bucks on a stick, are you that good?

What have you been able to do with these sticks? Are you one of the top players in whatever league you may be in, be it high school, beer league, etc....And is it because of or due in some major way to using one of these sticks. Would you be nothing without these sticks?

Did you ever use wood? If so were you a point a game player with wood and became a 3 point a game player with these fancy new sticks?

I'm seriously curious about what these sticks have done for people who aren't named Datsyuk or Kovalchuk. Are you a much better player now because of these sticks? Can you do things now you weren't capable of doing with a wood stick?

So your velocity may have gone up. Has that translated into more points/goals. If a decent wood stick costs 25-35 bucks, and these "super sticks" are upwards of 200 or more, are you producing at 9 to 10 times greater than you were with a wood stick?

In an already expensive sport, the super stick market is by far the most outlandish, unnecessary scam being perpetrated in hockey today. Telling kids they need to buy a 200 dollar stick when they can get something for 1/10th of that and it'll do the same goddamned thing is absurd.

Yeah, i'm a piss poor mood today. Don't anyone take it too personally.

If you're actually trying to quantify this and put it into a dollars per points per game units, of course those sticks are not worth it. Hell, your old street hockey stick (you know the wood shaft with the plastic blade nailed to it) would probably be the most cost efficient stick in those terms. And in my opinion, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of a difference for any player. Its true that Datsyuk didn't produce as much in the beginning of the season and started piling up points when he got the stick. But its not like he didn't produce just as much the season before that with the old 6k. Maybe RBK gave him an X amount of money and told him to slump before he got the O-stick, maybe its the latest marketing technique? That would be scary...

Back to the point. Novice players have no business using $200 sticks. They probably SHOULD use a heavier wood stick to build up muscle in their arms. I'm you average beer league player and i use a $100 stick but only because i got it for free. If it breaks I'll go buy a 5030 sherwood. I would never buy a $200 stick unless i didn't care for money and had loads of it then i'd buy the most expensive equipment out there.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

If you're actually trying to quantify this and put it into a dollars per points per game units, of course those sticks are not worth it. Hell, your old street hockey stick (you know the wood shaft with the plastic blade nailed to it) would probably be the most cost efficient stick in those terms. And in my opinion, it probably doesn't make a whole lot of a difference for any player. Its true that Datsyuk didn't produce as much in the beginning of the season and started piling up points when he got the stick. But its not like he didn't produce just as much the season before that with the old 6k. Maybe RBK gave him an X amount of money and told him to slump before he got the O-stick, maybe its the latest marketing technique? That would be scary...

Back to the point. Novice players have no business using $200 sticks. They probably SHOULD use a heavier wood stick to build up muscle in their arms. I'm you average beer league player and i use a $100 stick but only because i got it for free. If it breaks I'll go buy a 5030 sherwood. I would never buy a $200 stick unless i didn't care for money and had loads of it then i'd buy the most expensive equipment out there.

:clap::clap::clap:

I'll take a PMP 5030 Sher Wood over that Rbk monstrosity any day of the week. You can't beat the heft. I guess by now most people know I played defense my entire life and I was not a scorer so maybe that has something to do with my animosity towards these sticks. Ray Bourque used the 5030 and if it be good enough for Ray, it be good enough for me! argghhhhh (that's a shout out to our resident board Pirate)

Guest nutz2u
:lol: Kinda like bass fishing. You can do it with a $2,500.00 boat with 5hp or spend $25,000.00 for a snazzy 150hp boat that Just makes you feel gooood catching the same damn fish. :rotflmao:

Guest Lebda4Pres

Thats a shame, because i hear they break like toothpicks...

LIke toothpicks... HAA the sticks have been proven to be stronger thjan any other composite stick I believe it tokk 2-3 months for datsyuk to break his first one

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I've played for over a decade. I've tried aluminum, graphite, and borrowed a friend's composite a couple times. I have always come back to wood. It just has a better feel.

Eva, I knew you were good people. :clap::clap:

I have been playing roller hockey for roughly 5 years. I play in a division 2 of 3 divisions, so I guess you could say I am in the middle "skill" set. Practically everyone who plays roller hockey, no matter what division uses a composite stick. Normallly the stick of choice is a synergy. I, for one refuse to purchase a synergy for roller hockey. I buy the 20 dollar easton classics. Yzerman curve, and it works great. However, I wouldnt complain if someone gave me the datsyuk stick for free ;) At a Canes preseason game about 2 years ago, me, my bro, and two of our friends snuck down to right behind teh caps bench (my bro is a caps fan). It was preseason, so it wasnt packed. Ben Clymer broke his stick blade during the 1st period, and during the intermission, the caps trainer handed the stick to me. All it needs is a replacement blade and it would be perfectly fine to use, however even synergy replacement blades are more expensive than my good ol'e' easton classics :)

Edited by Lidstromrules16

As a crappy beer league keeper I see a lot of different sticks, but I have noticed that players using composites tend to have a considerably faster release on their wrist shot, whereas the wood stick users typically telegraph a bit more on their shots. The opposite is true for shots from the point I get far more wild shots coming off composites than not. Completely unscientific, but my observation.

i had my run with a hespeler 2 piece, an easton 2 pieace, a hespeler patriot, a orange synergy grip(pro stock), response, and then finally a reebok. that was it for me i probably blew away roughly 800 dollars in 2 years on sticks. no thanks. as a very scrappy playing defensemen that loves nothing more than blasting rockets off from the point, ive never been more satified with using any stick than an easton classic. at 20 a piece, their perfect. do i break them?? ehhh every 20 games. but with the expensive sticks??? every ten games. and on instance with the synergy... 1 game. im a proud supporter of the wood stick. and i stand by it as the best type of stick there ever was, is, or going to be.

You are not talking about the US? I have had composite sticks for 4 years now and never paid over $150, the average for your wicked expensive sticks are about that.

When a new stick hits the market, it generally costs at least $200. Unless you're waiting for the prices to drop, or the stores near you have damn good deals, that's basically what it will cost.

When a new stick hits the market, it generally costs at least $200. Unless you're waiting for the prices to drop, or the stores near you have damn good deals, that's basically what it will cost.

Yep. National Sports sells the 9KO for 299.99.