• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
livediehockey80

Why Are the Red Wings So Good Year After Year?

Rate this topic

Here is the question: is it the talent on the ice or is it the "System"? There has to be "system" in place because the roster between the 1990s and now are almost completely different (exceptions to Draper, Maltby, Holmstrom and Lidstrom). Yet, the Wings keep piling up wins in the regular season.

The "System" argument means that you can plug any half-decent player into the Red Wings system and he will be a productive player. Look at Dan Cleary. Do you really think he would be a good point machine if he played in Toronto or with Columbus for example? Mikael Samuelsson is another example. Frankly, he was a mediocre forward before he came to Detroit and I was surprised that Kenny wanted him. I could throw in Johan Franzen as another example.

There was the "left-wing lock" system during Scotty Bowman's reign here. Is Babcock using the exact system or does he have a hybrid system in place? I think Babs puts more emphasis on defensive play than Bowman. Anyway, the transition from Bowman to Lewis to Babcock was the most SEAMLESS, successful example in recent NHL history. The "System" even trumps the coaches themselves. The "System" will continue after coaches and players move on.

When Lidstrom retires, I think the team will suffer in the standings because the guy is that talented. However, I think the Wings will continue to roll with winning season for many years. The Red Wings winning "streak" from the early 1990s to 2007-08 (and beyond) is one of the greatest achievements in all professional sports. If the Wings had three or four more Stanley Cups during this era, we would be comparing Detroit to the Canadiens, Celtics, or NY Yankees.

Hmmmm, I would say it's the system. If, by 'system' you mean talent on the ice. And, if by talent on the ice you mean Lidstrom. I think losing Lidstrom will make a huge impact on the wings, myself. He is one of the biggest reasons for the continued success of the wings. He's a calming force on the ice for them, slowing the game down for them. I hope I'm wrong, though, and it just stays the same once he leaves...

Go Wings!

Ownership and Management

:P

It's true. Ownership, management, scouting, etc. Being able to adapt to a salary cap. Being able to build a core and plug the holes with the right players. Having a vision. Playing 5 russians on the same line when most other teams were still attending the Don Cherry School of Hockey Bigotry. Taking the chance on small skilled europeans when most teams were still attending the Bobby Clarke School of Canadian Oafs. Etc.

I'd say having an easy travel schedule all these years has helped too. :P

Edit for spelling.

Edited by rick zombo

Alright, a serious answer here:

1) high quality scouting

2) a management team that is committed to acquiring high quality scouts and acting on the information given to them

3) high quality players

4) a management that is committed to signing and holding on to the top quality players that are available without ruining the long term prospects of the team

5) high quality coaching

6) a management team that is willing to assemble a top-notch coaching staff, and see to it that they have the players and resources available to win

7) high quality management

8) a management team that actually gives a damn about winning and is willing to do something about it

So, I guess that it boils down to management.

**compare with Blackhawks and Lions of the last decade, prior to this season**

I am going with the all-encompassing "organization". It seems that every interview I hear or read coming from a player/scout/coach/water boy/hairdresser/shoe-shiner all say the same thing... "The Red Wing organization is top notch". To me that means that the idea of team starts from the top and it doesn't just trickle down, EVERYONE believes in the philosophy. I also think that is why certain players just don't seem to fit *cough Lang*. All of the interviews I have seen during pre-game, whom ever it is, always seem to say that they know what their purpose on the team is and does not question it.

The biggest difference between the Wings and many franchises in many different sports is the fact that our owner is not just a businessman. He is a competitor. He is out to win, not just pad his pockets. As a result, he gets the best that he can reasonably buy. We're seeing the payoff.

What's to stop Chris Chelios from being good year after year without anyones help? :sly:

How do you think Rafalski would like the nick-name Raffy Laffy Taffy? :blink:

How do you think Rafalski would like the nick-name Raffy Laffy Taffy?

haha :lol:

This needs a thread in itself :clap:

How do you think Rafalski would like the nick-name Raffy Laffy Taffy?

haha :lol:

This needs a thread in itself :clap:

I was saying that all last night whenever he had the puck.

I think Nick is a really big part of the Red Wings' succes. Last night during the game the puck was about to be cleared so I yelled "Nick" with out even knowing wheather or not he was on the ice. The puck was held in either way, I think he heard me through the TV. He's so good he could hold the puck in from the bench!

Attititude and confidence........and it can last a long time.

I think there's something to that. Whatever it is that happens when players pull on that winged wheel sweater, it's the opposite of the feeling of doom and despair that the Lions view themselves with. There's expectations and confidence that starts from the fan base up, and some franchises just don't have it. The Wings do.