• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
VM1138

Best Match-ups for the Finals

Rate this topic

Best for ratings

Toronto - Edmonton

Any SCF with two team from the hockey homeland would be killer for ratings. Toronto hasn't won a cup in ever, and I think Edmonton has a stronger fan base than Vancouver or Calgary.

Killer for ratings?? More like ratings killer! Any 2 Canadian teams pitted against each other would be disastrous for the U.S. market. Even just 1 is a big knock.

I bet that series would BARELY manage to draw over a 1.0

I would love to see in order..

Det vs. NYR

Det vs. TOR

DET vs. OTT

However would Det vs Boston draw ratings? Seems to me like it wouldn't be so bad if we played them in the finals for the NHL, not that it will happen.

BEST FOR ME

Detroit/Ottawa

or

Detroit/Rangers

BEST FOR EXPOSURE

Detroit/Rangers

Other possibilities that don't include the Wings (let's admit we're a little biased here as 'cept the Florida/Washingon guys :)

Any finals with the Ducks going for a repeat versus the Rangers or Maple Leafs or Senators (repeat)

I purposefully left out any teams that have zero shot, which probably means Toronto too but you never know.

I have no good reason to do so, but I hate Ottawa. It has nothing to do with my love for the Leafs. I just don't like the Sens. So much so that I was rooting for the Ducks to pound them in last years SCF.

I would have to disagree that Detroit - NYR would be the best exposure.

Killer for ratings?? More like ratings killer! Any 2 Canadian teams pitted against each other would be disastrous for the U.S. market. Even just 1 is a big knock.

I bet that series would BARELY manage to draw over a 1.0

In the US maybe. But we all know that Canada=hockey. The ratings in Canada would be through the roof.

BEST FOR ME

Detroit/Ottawa

or

Detroit/Rangers

BEST FOR EXPOSURE

Detroit/Rangers

Other possibilities that don't include the Wings (let's admit we're a little biased here as 'cept the Florida/Washingon guys :)

Any finals with the Ducks going for a repeat versus the Rangers or Maple Leafs or Senators (repeat)

I purposefully left out any teams that have zero shot, which probably means Toronto too but you never know.

Huh? You said that you left out any teams that don't have a shot. The you should have left out the Ducks. They are dying without Selanne - 26th in the league in GFA. And the Rangers are worse. 29th in the league and that's a team that was supposed to be good offensively?

Huh? You said that you left out any teams that don't have a shot. The you should have left out the Ducks. They are dying without Selanne - 26th in the league in GFA. And the Rangers are worse. 29th in the league and that's a team that was supposed to be good offensively?

What do you mean by GFA?

In the US maybe. But we all know that Canada=hockey. The ratings in Canada would be through the roof.

That doesnt matter though. The NHL desperately needs the viewership in the US more than Canada. In Canada, hockey is their sport so theyre always going to have a decent viewership no matter who's playing. But for the sake of tv deals and such in the States, 2 Canadian teams in the finals would be their worst nightmare.

Det/NYR is unquestionably the matchup that would garner the most ratings.

That doesnt matter though. The NHL desperately needs the viewership in the US more than Canada. In Canada, hockey is their sport so theyre always going to have a decent viewership no matter who's playing. But for the sake of tv deals and such in the States, 2 Canadian teams in the finals would be their worst nightmare.

Det/NYR is unquestionably the matchup that would garner the most ratings.

I've always heard that a Detroit - NYR finals would spell out huge ratings. But I don't completely buy that. I don't the the Rangers have that much of a fan base. I think a Detroit - Buffalo finals would blow away (in US ratings) a Detroit - NYR finals.

I've always heard that a Detroit - NYR finals would spell out huge ratings. But I don't completely buy that. I don't the the Rangers have that much of a fan base. I think a Detroit - Buffalo finals would blow away (in US ratings) a Detroit - NYR finals.

No way. Buffalo has a good local fan base, but that doesnt mean much nationally because theyre a small market team. Not many people outside of Buffalo, mainly talking about the more casual fans, care about the Sabres. If the NYR made the Finals, it would garner MUCH more national attention...just because they're the New York Rangers. Alot of it has to do with name value(which the Wings also possess), the Wings and Rangers could both come in as #8 seeds and it would more than double the viewership of Minnesota and Ottawa meeting up as #1's. Thats just how it goes..

To keep things in perspective though, even the Wings/NYR wouldnt exactly be huge. I still couldnt see it getting any more than a 3.0-3.5...which would still put it well below something like NASCAR. Huge for hockey yes, but not huge compared to other sports.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Best for the league...

Detroit or Chicago from the West

NYR, Philly, Toronto, or Ottawa from the East

Any pairing of these teams would be a large draw for the league.

CHI/NYR could draw as well as DET/NYR IMHO if not better.

Alot of it has to do with name value(which the Wings also possess), the Wings and Rangers could both come in as #8 seeds and it would more than double the viewership of Minnesota and Ottawa meeting up as #1's. Thats just how it goes..

..which would still put it well below something like NASCAR. Huge for hockey yes, but not huge compared to other sports.

We've got another six or eight decades to go Lou, it might happen!

It really does suck to deal with that though. I like your pointing out the name value (that's really the heart of it) and that match-up -is- the best likely draw... it's just a shame it probably won't happen. I wonder if it'd help hockey for a year or two though.

No way. Buffalo has a good local fan base, but that doesnt mean much nationally because theyre a small market team. Not many people outside of Buffalo, mainly talking about the more casual fans, care about the Sabres. If the NYR made the Finals, it would garner MUCH more national attention...just because they're the New York Rangers. Alot of it has to do with name value(which the Wings also possess), the Wings and Rangers could both come in as #8 seeds and it would more than double the viewership of Minnesota and Ottawa meeting up as #1's. Thats just how it goes..

To keep things in perspective though, even the Wings/NYR wouldnt exactly be huge. I still couldnt see it getting any more than a 3.0-3.5...which would still put it well below something like NASCAR. Huge for hockey yes, but not huge compared to other sports.

The city of Buffalo would go nuts. Call them a 'small market team' if you wish, but with the last few seasons of playing a fast-paced, run and gun style, they have more fans nationally then you are giving them credit for. On the flip side, the NYR have not been good for a long time and have the recent history of collapsing when it matters most. I think you are overestimating the NYR more than you underestimate Buffalo.

I have a hard time believing that NYR would draw more attention than Ottawa. Regardless, any SCF with the Wings involved would translate to higher national ratings than any other WC team.

While best for us and the nhl is already being discussed, let me throw these ones out there.

Best for people that like the cold weather

Calgary vs Buffalo

Best for people that like the warm weather

Phoenix vs Florida

Best for people that like to travel

Vancouver vs Florida

Best for people that don't like to travel

Columbus vs Pittsburgh

Best for people that don't know how the nhl is aligned

Rangers vs Islanders