• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
arnoldbuck

Sedin's Futures

Rate this topic

Hey, I heard about this a few days ago, but waited to see if anything came of it. With a new GM, and a restless town, Vancouver is obviously looking at its options. And I have heard rumours that the new GM is not positive the Sedins are the players he wants to build his team around.

There is really no solid evidence on the other than a few clips of Gillis talking about this, but what are the possibilities here? Do they have a No Trade Clause? Or a 'must be traded together clause?' Just curious as to how this would go down. How much are they worth?

I'm in no way (stress that point) talking about a Detroit involvement, but none the less it would be a big mid-summer move.

The Sedins are a solid pair of players. However, they aren't good enough to justify the kind of back bending Vancouver does to keep them happy. Further evidence against one Mr. Brian Burke's padded resume, IMO.

If Vancouver can ship off the Sedins for two forwards who are of equal potential and current skill level to Henrik and Daniel, they would be wise to do so given the movement restrictions and linemate requirements the Sedins impose. That said, what are the chances the Nucks will be able to ship off the twins AND receive comparable players in return?

Vancouver is in pretty bad shape; the Sedins are not elite caliber players but have managed to force the Nucks to give them elite player treatment and first line salaries...and then they have Luongo in net, who yes is a great goalie, but ultimately they would be better off with a GOOD goalie and a great DEFENSE. Ah..defense...yet ANOTHER area where the Canucks have overpaid second-tier players who had one good year. They do have Mattias Ohlund, whose injury this season had a HUGE effect on their success (read: caused them to miss the postseason) but other than that, they have a massively underachieving team paid for much more than they produce.

I'm would imagine that they would have some sort of contract stipulation that says they have to go to somewhere together. They would be a great second line on the wings or any other team for that matter, but they are not top line players. But for 3.75 million a season they are a pretty good deal in my opinion as they are very consistent. A team like Detroit would be a good fit for them as they already have a top line established and expectations for the twins would not be as high. This Idea is actually making me drool :P. I don't think we could afford them though considering we need to sign Z next year, and anyone they would want I don't think I would want to give up. These guys will probably play for VAN for the rest of their careers. But wouldn't this be a nice lineup for Detroit...

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

D. Sedin - Franzen - H. Sedin

Hudler - Filppula - Cleary

Maltby - Draper - Helm