• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernWingsFan

Detroit's Marked Man

Rate this topic

Can probably anticipate what it is going to be, but some good reading material from SI.com.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/197235

It's kinda sad to say this, but part of me wants Holmstrom to change his game so he and the Red Wings won't have to deal with any more phantom interference b.s.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Can probably anticipate what it is going to be, but some good reading material from SI.com.

It's kinda sad to say this, but part of me wants Holmstrom to change his game so he and the Red Wings won't have to deal with any more phantom interference b.s.

holmstrom isn't good at anything other than what he does to be honest

No reason to change his game. Because every team is grooming players like him. If he changes his game, then the Wings are at a disadvantage.

Besides, so what if we get a goal waved off now and then? It's very rarely actually hurt us in the long run. It just fires the team up to score that many more goals.

No reason to change his game. Because every team is grooming players like him. If he changes his game, then the Wings are at a disadvantage.

Besides, so what if we get a goal waved off now and then? It's very rarely actually hurt us in the long run. It just fires the team up to score that many more goals.

Agreed.

Oh I know. He shouldn't change what's gotten him in the league for the long-term and what has made him successful, and I understand you want to protect your goalies etc., but you don't call phantom interference calls/disallowed goals like that in the Stanley Cup Finals when they are the most important games out there. Or, at the very least, judgement calls like that should be reviewable.

I don't think Holmer should change anything about what he does... he is where he is because of what he does... and he is the master of it. He has found his strength and how he can contribute and does it to perfection. And its true, he is very clumsy and doesn't have the kind of talent to change into another player. I think the league should review interference calls and Holmer just keeping being Holmer.

Granted yes, Homer is marked man there is no question about that, without a doubt he is the best in the league at what he does. Like VM said every team is trying to groom a Homer for their team. As good as the idea of reviewing the calls, I'm really not sure if it will make that much of a difference. I know that things happen so quickly on the ice that a lot of the time it is really hard to differentiate between what is or isn't interference but, no matter what it will still be a judgment call by the officials. I think it will help a little bit but I don't think it is going to be a fix all. On the flip side there has been a lot of talk about this lately and the name Dan O'Halloran has been said a lot lately maybe this will erase just a little bit of the mark off of Homer. All that being how about the shot by Lidstrom on that play, even if Homer wasn't there I have a feeling that shot was going in.

Instead of Holmstrom changing his game, how about the refs figure out what "goal interference" actually means?

You're right, that's very sad to say. And also wrong.

2 completely false calls in the stanley cup finals. The video evidence is proof that homer was not in the wrong, so why should homer change? The refs, and the way refs make the ultimate call is what should change.

Any other outcome means that the league is willing to compromise on getting it right. If they are willing to compromise on getting it right, then they are essentially allowing refs to play favorites. The calls should be black and white.

Reviewable calls are the only solution, IMO. It's not like Homer has revolutionized the game with his style. People have been doing it for years, in one form or another. s***, Dino was doing it while Homer was still playing in pee-wee, the big difference being that Homer's bigger and has taken screening to a new, more blatant level.

This whole thing is silly, honestly. Bettman wanted more goals and more excitement. How on earth does Homer's game subtract from either? I'd argue that he adds excitement to the game based on the number of times he gets cross checked in the head and gets back right up, and there is no question that he is adding goals to the game.

I dislike the guy for sure, but I've never been one of the bigger Bettman bashers out there...but if there is any knee jerk rule change based on Homer's style of play, he'll be the biggest hypocrite this game has ever seen.