• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheCaptain19

This Years Mr Irrelevant

Rate this topic

it was a horrible play by fleury

And who was the guy that shot it first?

May have been a horrible rebound, but if Samuelsson doesn't shoot that shot, good chance that chain of events doesn't lead to a goal.

What do you want him to do, blow snot rockets out of his nose?

And who was the guy that shot it first?

May have been a horrible rebound, but if Samuelsson doesn't shoot that shot, good chance that chain of events doesn't lead to a goal.

What do you want him to do, blow snot rockets out of his nose?

I want him off my team, hth

I'm not going to fall all over myself praising him for launching a run of the mill shot that fleury fumbled horribly in game 6, no

You don't have to, and nobody here is either. Again, just give fair credit when it is due. If he doesn't shoot the puck, a good chance the goal doesn't result, regardless of if it is a poor rebound or not. Samuelsson shot the puck which led to the goal, give him credit for it, nothing more or less.

Really I can think of at least 2 players on his own team that I that are worse than him 2 on 1, Downey and Maltby come to mind. I can think of many defenseman in the league I would rather not have on a 2 on 1 than him. But that is opinion, much like you have yours, I just don't see the need for ragging on a guy who had 3 goals in the SCF series in every possible thread makes any kind of sense!

But the last part is mainly because everyone needs a whipping boy and aren't happy until they can ***** at some player.

They are the same people who all year ragged on guys like D and Z and Lids, going so far as to say that he needed to be stripped of his captaincy, that will tell you the mental reasoning levels of these people.

But you are right, because some one posts on an internet forum that a guy only hits a goalie in the chest, I should believe it.

Hahahaha. Why did you just compare Sammy to Maltby, Downey, and your everyday defenseman? The fact that you cant think of anyone better says a lot.

Thats like saying. Well jeez guys, Maltby doesnt put up a whole lot of points, but I can think of a TON of people who put up less. Brad Norton, my grandmother, my 1 year old nephew...

Edited by YoungGuns1340

You don't have to, and nobody here is either. Again, just give fair credit when it is due. If he doesn't shoot the puck, a good chance the goal doesn't result, regardless of if it is a poor rebound or not. Samuelsson shot the puck which led to the goal, give him credit for it, nothing more or less.

um

i never disputed that the guy shot the puck

i disputed that he was a decent (nhl)hockey player

um

No, but you basically just took it only into an account that Fleury gave up a horrible rebound, making it sound like Samuelsson and Filppula shouldn't get any credit in taking part in the goal. I think I can make some safe assumption that if your boy Hudler was involved in that sequence of play, you'd be all over praising him and saying he should get plenty of credit.

I'm not saying we couldn't do better with Sammy (the elder) off the team, he is the most consistent "logo-bomber" in the league. But 249 shots on goal for 25th in the league is not shabby. That's more shots on goal than likely half or more players in the league has SHOT-ATTEMPTS for the season (don't know where to get that stat, if anyone knows, feel free to correct me). His Percentage is terrible, his goal total is.. uninspiring. but his shots per game average (2nd on the team reg. season, 3rd playoffs) fits perfectly the Detroit's general theme of 3 to 2 in shots for/against the last two years. +/- was +21, Jason Williams 2 years ago was a +4, whom I mention because he also played a point on PP like Sammy does. He was a lot more efficient in shot percentage than Sammy, but a huge defensive liability compared to Sammy.

Again, I'm not saying we couldn't find someone better for Sammy's roll but please remember he's not the Antichrist. IMO we have a much more defensively capable two way guy with him than we've had in the past, and it was our defense that did more to win this cup than our offense, and guys like Sammy contributed to that as well, +8 in the playoffs, with only 3 D-men ahead of him. He may not be the perfect solution, he DOES shoot the logo-bomb consistenly, but he's not a problem either. And let's not forget, when the puck ends up frozen off yet another easy save, Det pretty much owns the league in faceoffs...

(Realize I'm not a huge fan, I am just as ready to throw my shoe at the tv as much as the rest of you when I see him hit glove/logo/shins on consecutive point shots as the rest of you...)

No, but you basically just took it only into an account that Fleury gave up a horrible rebound, making it sound like Samuelsson and Filppula shouldn't get any credit in taking part in the goal. I think I can make some safe assumption that if your boy Hudler was involved in that sequence of play, you'd be all over praising him and saying he should get plenty of credit.

I don't think hudler is that great of a player and I won't mind it if he leaves. I like his personality, hth.

Also I said that most of the shots samuelsson takes don't end up as rebounds, not all.

I want him off my team, hth

Mr. Illitch?

Oh you meant the team you root for my bad.

When you buy or GM a team I am sure your opinion will be enough to sway people, until then it is your opinion and whether you like it or not Sammy is a Stanley cup champion and Detroit Red Wing

Hahahaha. Why did you just compare Sammy to Maltby, Downey, and your everyday defenseman? The fact that you cant think of anyone better says a lot.

Thats like saying. Well jeez guys, Maltby doesnt put up a whole lot of points, but I can think of a TON of people who put up less. Brad Norton, my grandmother, my 1 year old nephew...

The point was someone said he was one of the worst players to have on a 2-1 in the league, I stated facts to point out that was not true. It was in response to people claiming (maybe not in this thread) that he is as useful as a bag of pucks, or that he is useless. Follow the thread not just the posts of those who are in support of Sammy.

I am not saying he is my favorite player, but the bashing of him is unwarranted, he played a large role in this team winning the cup, was he a major player no, but the 2 goals in the first game of the SCF set the tone and put the Pens on their heels.

His forechecking led directly to two of Franzen's playoff goals.

He is what he is, and the fact that WORLD CHAMPION caliber people like Babcock and Holland want him on the team and use him is always going to sway my opinion that way, until the posters who constantly bash him do something on their own either on the ice or behind the bench or in the front office I will take the defending Stanley cup champs opinions over theirs.

Det #1 Fan,

I said some posters because I was not specifically saying you were saying those things, but you posted a comment in regards to other people posting about him hitting the crest and nice shot Sammy. My point was to say that a lot of posters say lots of things on here that make no sense, so because some posters on here say he is useless or shoots at the crest doesn't mean I believe it, because some of them are the same people who think Lids should have been stripped of the captaincy, or that the team was eliminated after the trade deadline, or during game 5 in Nashville, the same people who claim Holland is a fool and could not get this team to the cup with what it had.

I form my own opinion, and I will stand by it on here, much like when I was defending Holland for weeks after the Trade deadline, and even do it on some threads still. Even though the team just won the cup.

These type of fans (again not speaking specifically to you) are a main reason why Red Wing fans are seen as spoiled, because the team just won the cup, and weeks later people are back on here bashing him simply because the last player drafted shares the same last name as him.

um

Can I see your credentials as an authority on NHL caliber players, you certainly must have some scouting or player management experience to be making that kind of statement?

Guest CaliWingsNut

From the posted Website...

Friday, June 27

Event: Tour of Surf City (Huntington Beach, CA), Irrelevant Rams Cheerleader Contest, Main Street Welcome / Closing Ceremonies

Where: Main Street, Huntington Beach

When: 6:30 p.m.

Mr. Irrelevant comes to Surf City - Let's make his last night in town one of the best. Join us for an evening of fun, food and a great time.

YES!!! Something to do during the day on Friday, and it's looking at gorgeous cheerleaders! :D I'll be there!

Sammy is a good 3rd or 4th line guy in this salary cap world and I would be shocked if we do not re-sign him during the season to another 3-year deal. He can play in a variety of situations, and fit on a scoring line and checking line, play on the power play and is a very good defensive player. Should he be getting top-6 minutes? I don't think so. But on the third or fourth line, he is a real good, solid player who gives us a lot of depth. People who want to get rid of him feel that way b/c he probably is over matched playing on the second line and on the power play. But to get rid of him makes our third and fourth lines a lot weaker and we would be relying too much on one-dimensional players like Maltby, Kopecky and McCarty.

I tried to defend Sammy on HFboards, but I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people just NEED somebody to hate. With Lang gone, poor Sammy and Lilja are filling his shoes. The difference being, Sammy and Lilja are NOT Lazy. They may "suck" at times but they try and play hard and play for the team so I could never really hate them. I think Lilja is a great 6th defencemen, much much better than what most teams have on a 3rd pairing. I think Sammy is responsible defensively and pretty versatile. Do I think he belongs manning the point on the 2nd pp? Definitely not, but it's not Sammy's fault he's there. I'll admit I did curse his name more than a few times over the year, but that was mostly when he was on the pp, take him off and I doubt I say many negative things about him at all. Can't we go back to hating Lang, that was much more fun and something I actually support whole-heartedly!

Some do. One of his shots in Game 6 of the SCF did, and resulted in a goal. Was kinda important.

And remember what Gretzky said when asked "Do you think you are going to score everytime you shoot the puck?"

He answered, "I know I won't score everytime I don't shoot the puck."

Way to go Sammy!