• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shoe

Shuffle the Defence

Rate this topic

Ive read everyones line combos and most look like this...

Lidstrom Rafalski

Kronwall (Stuart Maybe)

overflow of Chelios Lebda Meech Quincy Lijia and Erricson

Seems like everyone here and Mike babcock want to see this guy Erricson play next year so assuming Stuart leaves us I propose this...

Kronwall gets a raise to the 1st pairing with Rafalski

Lidstrom plays with Erricson ( let the kid learn from the best)

Lijia Quincy rotate Chelios Lebda Rotate or variations of depending on what ever the hell happens injuries ect.

Meech moves up as a forward.

This team looks like its in overflow mode and I think they need to do a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade perhaps that 1 will be a grinding hard nosed forward to fill Drakes spot if he retires?

and if Stuart Stays this whole thing is one useless post. :ranting:

Edited by shoe

Ive read everyones line combos and most look like this...

Lidstrom Rafalski

Kronwall (Stuart Maybe)

overflow of Chelios Lebda Meech Quincy Lijia and Erricson

Seems like everyone here and Mike babcock want to see this guy Erricson play next year so assuming Stuart leaves us I propose this...

Kronwall gets a raise to the 1st pairing with Rafalski

Lidstrom plays with Erricson ( let the kid learn from the best)

Lijia Quincy rotate Chelios Lebda Rotate or variations of depending on what ever the hell happens injuries ect.

Meech moves up as a forward.

This team looks like its in overflow mode and I think they need to do a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade perhaps that 1 will be a grinding hard nosed forward to fill Drakes spot if he retires?

and if Stuart Stays this whole thing is one useless post. :ranting:

No disrespect but...no way Lids moves down to a second pairing and no way does Ericsson play with him. I dont think they will even play the same style of hockey. I think Babs and the Orgo are expecting Ericsson to play a Gritty hard nosed hitting style and the best thing for him to learn that is to put him on a line with Kronner. Kronwall looks like he has really perfected the art of hitting this last season and think he could be an excellent Tutor for Ericcson. The guy needs to learn to throw that big body around and hes not going to learn to do so playin with Lids. Although he is projected to be a big Point getter as well, i think that will come later in his career as the wings really need a hard hitting big boy that we can mold him into. His shot will also kill on the PP and put some pucks in the net. Love the kid, but not enough to put him on a line with Lids for next year and Lids is way to.....perfect to drop down to a second defensive pairing.

Oh, and i dont think Meech would cut it as a Forward, we saw him play a little last year at that position, but i just dont see it working out for him as a forward, especially with depth we have there as well as the decent FA market this year.

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer

I'd love to see what a Kronwall-Ericsson pairing could do. In all likelihood, though, we're looking at a Kronwall-Meech tandem.

And yeah, no way does Nick get bumped down.

why do you think Kronwall and Meech would play together? that seems like a horrible combo... both offensive guys who join the rush, neither are particularly strong in front of their own net

I'd love to see what a Kronwall-Ericsson pairing could do. In all likelihood, though, we're looking at a Kronwall-Meech tandem.

And yeah, no way does Nick get bumped down.

No way does Meech get up on the 2nd pair. If anyone does, its Ericsson. Hes our best of the bunch, Detroit is going to carry 8 Dmen, and for all the folks who shun any idea that (gasp!) any of our young defenseman will ever be traded because theyd all be on the 2nd unit on other teams, heres what Holland has to say about that:

"We gotta figure out a way to get Meech some ice time," Holland said. "We've got some real decisions to make on defense, and they're real pleasant decisions. Do we sign all 10 defensemen and go to training camp? We're going to carry eight. Which eight make it? And then we move two? Do we make that decision this week? That's gotta be sorted out."

Why not go with the kids, meaning potentially Llija or Lebda on the 2nd paring, for a chunk of the season.. then Kenny can address concerns at the trade deadline. (see 2008 trade deadline).

As this thread progressed I was wondering how long it would take before Lebda left the bottom pairing, I would rather have him with Kronwall than Lilja, Meech, Quincey, Ericsson.

I think he is more responsible in his own end, would I prefer Stuart there of course but if the Wings can not get Stuart or another UFA I think Lebda would be the better answer.

As this thread progressed I was wondering how long it would take before Lebda left the bottom pairing, I would rather have him with Kronwall than Lilja, Meech, Quincey, Ericsson.

I think he is more responsible in his own end, would I prefer Stuart there of course but if the Wings can not get Stuart or another UFA I think Lebda would be the better answer.

You think so?

Here's the predicament I have with that: Style.

Lebda is a speedy Dman who jumps up on the play, which is exactly the type of guy Kronwall is. He flourished playing alongside Stuart because the second Stu noticed Kronner was going for the big hit, he backed off to cover. Lebda doesn't seem like that type of a partner, rather he's the kind of guy that likes to jump up whenever he can. I fear that pairing would get the Wings in trouble a little too often.

Lilja on the other hand, is a stay-at-home defensive-defenseman, who will never pinch, and always get back especially when Kronwall decides to lay a guy out coming out of their zone. Before you say anything, I *absolutely don't want Lilja on the second pairing* but rather a guy that plays a similar defensive style, proving big hits here and there, and without the mistakes Lilja has been prone to make once in a while.

Obviously, the Wings don't have anyone that fits that billing on the current roster *at this point*, but I do feel a safer partner for Kronwall is best in order to keep allowing him to push forward, make those bone-crushing hits at the blueline, and someone that will allow him keep up his level of play without fear of having to always push back.

Easier said than done though.....I know.

NFM

Lebda plays very well in his own zone and is responsible defensively, I agree he does like to break out and does that very well also, however I thought he picked his time very well. I think if he is smart enough to know when to pick a time to rush the puck up ice, he would also be able to recognize when his d-partner is going for a huge hit.

Not saying it would be the most successful d pairing but in your words, the Wings don't have anyone that fits that billing on the current roster *at this point*, so I was just saying I feel given the current state, he would be the best fit.

I would much rather the team find a UFA stay at home defenseman, but the question is who?

Ericcson would do best to learn from Chelios or Kronwall, not Lidstrom. He's a different style defenseman. And my head nearly exploded at the thought of Lidstrom playing anything other than the absolutely highest spot in the land.

NFM

Lebda plays very well in his own zone and is responsible defensively, I agree he does like to break out and does that very well also, however I thought he picked his time very well. I think if he is smart enough to know when to pick a time to rush the puck up ice, he would also be able to recognize when his d-partner is going for a huge hit.

Not saying it would be the most successful d pairing but in your words, the Wings don't have anyone that fits that billing on the current roster *at this point*, so I was just saying I feel given the current state, he would be the best fit.

I would much rather the team find a UFA stay at home defenseman, but the question is who?

Exactly.

As for Lebda, while I agree that he seemed better in the SCF's, as a whole I still see him jumping up a lot. It's tough to teach a kid with that type of mindset to sit back because its a natural instinct you have. I played Center my whole life, and I'll be the first to admit I could never play defense because I don't have the mind for it. While I'd be "responsible" I'm still more often than I should going to look for the pinching opportunity or try to hold the puck in when I should retreat.

To me, Lebda comes off as that type of player. It's almost as if he's been playing the wrong position, and should be a forward. That offensive urge just doesn't go away even though you can teach a guy to sit back, and thats what gets a team in trouble.

I think you and I both agree that the absolute best answer *right now* doesn't lie with a current Red Wing. Perhaps next year it will, but like we both said......Who this year?

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Guest Dump-N-Thump

Say no to lebda.

All he has is speed.. He has no offensive flair.. He just skates fast and takes horrible angled shots.. Its amazing how a few decent games during the SCF can make everyone think he is a godsend. Come regular season he will be the bum that he was last year..

Quincey = Better Defensivly more physical

Big Rig = Better Shot, More physical

Meech = Better offensivly by a long shot..

Lebda teeters on mediocrity but never gets the whip from LGW because we have fellow worthless players on our team who we'd rather spend our time pmsing at "Sammy,Lilja,HASEK"

Trade Lebda for a bag of pop corn and a lawn chair, because it will be a joy watching him fall on his face on a different team.

I wouldn't worry too much about the combos. It's fun to conjecture and it's actually kind of important on a game-by-game basis in the playoffs, but for an upcoming regular season? I guarantee you they'll shuffle several times over the course of 82 games. No need to worry that so-and-so doesn't seem to be getting his shot with Lidstrom or whoever - the regular season is six months long and any number of things can and do happen.