• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Filppula Elects Salary Arbitration

Rate this topic

Filppula will be a RFA after next season. He won't be 27 years old, and he won't have 7 years of service in the NHL.

My mistake....

They'll still have more trouble signing him next year!

Edited by Glubki

That was last year. This is this year.

Filppula: 36 points - ?

Steen: 42 points - 1.7M

Hagman: 41 points - 3M

Pavelski: 40 points - 1.64M

Laich: 37 points - RFA

Gaustad: 36 points - 2.3M

Paille: 35 points - RFA

Tucker: 34 points - 2.25M

Fedotenko: 33 points - 2.25M

Avery: 33 points - 3.9M

Metropolit: 33 points - 1M

Ruutu: 33 points - 2.5M

Bernier: 32 points - RFA

Backes: 31 points - 2.5M

Ryder: 31 points - 4M

I listed some players who haven't signed yet, but their signings would likely influence arbitration if they were to happen prior to Flips potential hearing. For the salaries listed there, the average number is 2.25M, which is a fairly good estimate for Flip. If Holland and co. dont get something figured out before arbirtration, it shouldnt be too rough..

UFA contracts can't be taken into account.

Yeah, thanks I had no idea. Oh wait, thats why I mentioned the years :rolleyes:

1.9 - 2.5 is still pretty good deal. I only wanted to point out that there is no way he gets more than 3 million. I hope you do understand me now.

Of course. :thumbup:

Guest mindfly

I don't understand, how come holland hasn't signed him yet? whats with the neutral-third-party... why is this a good thing? que?

UFA contracts can't be taken into account.

Well I suppose they can come in use during pre-arbitration negotiations, should Filppulas party want to use contracts as such for his negotiations.

I also forgot Chris Kelly: 30 points - 2.125M. Svatos' and Vermettes contracts could possibly be seen as comparable as well.

Guest nutz2u
Filppula will be a RFA after next season. He won't be 27 years old, and he won't have 7 years of service in the NHL.

So then he will not be RFA until after the 2011 season, correct?

Guest Dump-N-Thump
I don't understand, how come holland hasn't signed him yet? whats with the neutral-third-party... why is this a good thing? que?

Holland has offered him a contract, Flipper declined.. and therefore they are now in arbitration.

I see Flipper being signed for 2.5-3m.. The wings wont let him go, He fits our scheme, He had 2nd line minutes all last year, Its not like he was ever in the dog house.. Kenny knows he has to pay in order to get a 2nd line he also knows flipper aint going to leave town so he has the time to haggle with him but in the end if its 3m flipper wants it'll end up being 3m that flipper gets..

If you dont you end up putting Sammy on the 2nd line, Or throwing some other players who dont fit the 2nd line scoring roll. and ultimatly your kicking yourself in the ass for letting flipper walk.

Why not Flip?

What is with some of the hate on this guy lately? Val is a fantastic player and is only getting better.

We'll see if Val can put up "fantastic" numbers then. Thankfully if it goes to arbitration, it'll be a one year deal. And if Val really proves hes worth the "fantastic" claims, then we can sign him long-term after he proves it. If not, we can possibly go the route of re-signing Hossa.

Guest mindfly

Oooh so he didnt want hollands first offer, so they must be aruging now like... not good not good... FRIENDS FOREVER COMEON FLIPPPPPP

go wings!

We'll see if Val can put up "fantastic" numbers then. Thankfully if it goes to arbitration, it'll be a one year deal. And if Val really proves hes worth the "fantastic" claims, then we can sign him long-term after he proves it. If not, we can possibly go the route of re-signing Hossa.

Filppula's game will never be based around 'fantastic' numbers as much as you want to mock him for whatever reason.

Seems like some Wings fans, no implying you I guess, act like if players don't take the first offer available they're disrespecting us for some reason. Has there been a report that Filppula is asking more than he's 'worth'? Has there been anything said that negotiations were going south? Do people forget how good he was in the Finals? I'm not saying to overpay to keep the guy, but all he's ever said was he wants to stay. In a week or two when he signs a 2m> contract, this'll all be forgotten anyway.

Oooh so he didnt want hollands first offer, so they must be aruging now like... not good not good... FRIENDS FOREVER COMEON FLIPPPPPP

go wings!

Are you familiar with the word negotiation?

Everyone seems to think this is a good thing...history shows it's usually not. If Holland works it out before the hearing no harm, but if it goes to hearing it usually damages the relationship long term. Teams don't like their hands to be forced when handing out salaries and players don't like to feel like they're not valuable. Imagine going to a public hearing at your job and having your boss point out ten reasons why your not that as good at your job as you think you are. The worst part is if the agreed salary happens to be something the Wings decide they can't match he's an automatic UFA. At least if he leaves on an offer sheet we get picks. It might work to keep him short term but in the long run it all but guarantees he's no longer a Wing for life.

Sorry I maybe the minority but he reminds me to much of Dats to give up on him yet. I know he may never become that level but you can just see both sides of his game yet they haven't connect, but when they DO. WATCH THE f*** OUT.

I'm sorry, was 'fantastic' too big of a word for Flip's play? I guess I am in the minority then. I love what I see from the guy game in and out. Maybe he isn't so fantastic now, but he's damn good and the Wings should do whatever they can to re-sign him.

Everyone seems to think this is a good thing...history shows it's usually not. If Holland works it out before the hearing no harm, but if it goes to hearing it usually damages the relationship long term. Teams don't like their hands to be forced when handing out salaries and players don't like to feel like they're not valuable. Imagine going to a public hearing at your job and having your boss point out ten reasons why your not that as good at your job as you think you are. The worst part is if the agreed salary happens to be something the Wings decide they can't match he's an automatic UFA. At least if he leaves on an offer sheet we get picks. It might work to keep him short term but in the long run it all but guarantees he's no longer a Wing for life.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said Filppula did what was necessary to protect himself in negotiations, which will continue over the next couple of weeks. No date has been set yet for the arbitration hearing.

“There are mechanisms in the CBA that protect the player and the club,” Holland said. “We now have to determine whether we want a one-year or two-year award. In the meantime, I’ve talked to Bill Zito, Filppula’s agent, a couple times today and yesterday. We’re going to continue to talk and hopefully we can find a solution. We do know he’s going to be under contract by late July or very early August.”

Holland said he’s had plenty of players file for arbitration but has always found a way to get a deal done and he hopes to do the same with Filppula. Holland said he they were “in the ballpark” on a short-term agreement, but they have also been talking about a long-term deal.

“I’m open to anything if it makes sense,” Holland said. “My feeling is I try to take the emotion out of the equation. It’s business. Fil and his agent have to get a deal they feel real comfortable with. I have to get a deal that’s real comfortable for the Red Wings.”

Filppula's game will never be based around 'fantastic' numbers as much as you want to mock him for whatever reason.

Seems like some Wings fans, no implying you I guess, act like if players don't take the first offer available they're disrespecting us for some reason. Has there been a report that Filppula is asking more than he's 'worth'? Has there been anything said that negotiations were going south? Do people forget how good he was in the Finals? I'm not saying to overpay to keep the guy, but all he's ever said was he wants to stay. In a week or two when he signs a 2m> contract, this'll all be forgotten anyway.

I'm not sure why you responded to my post in that way, other than if you competely missed my point. Let me spell it out for you:

1) I wasn't mocking Filppula, I was mocking HC, because I don't ever expect Filppula to put up "fantstic" numbers.

2) I dont care if Filppula asks for 100 million or 1 million. All I care is if Filppula comes asking for big money on a long term contract that we turn him down. See point 1 for my reasoning on that.