• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
uk_redwing

Filppula Elects Salary Arbitration

Rate this topic

Filppula is 24 years old, same as Hudler. His stats aren't any better than Hudler's even though he gets a ton more ice time, please enlighten me as to why you all think he is worth 2 to 2 1/2 times as much as Hudler.

I believe it is because filppula shows signs of being a star player or at least a big game player. He shows us moments of magic alot more than hudler does. Take this years playoffs as an example, or at least the last series. Filpulla looked dangerous just about every shift and did pull of one of the best goals in the playoffs by anyone.

I like hudler as well but he seems to go invisible a lot more than filp and when he does make an impact its never the type of thing that makes you go holy crap this mans the next datsyuk, that is my opinion anyway.

I think this was probably done so they have more time to work out a longer term contract without the possible offer sheet interference.

Helps both Detroit (no offer sheets to contest) and Flip (wants to be a Red Wing, but paid fairly).

I think this was probably done so they have more time to work out a longer term contract without the possible offer sheet interference.

Helps both Detroit (no offer sheets to contest) and Flip (wants to be a Red Wing, but paid fairly).

I agree. I think maybe some of us are over reacting. Simple to me. No offer sheets, an modest increase in salary and stay a Wing. We all saw moments of awesome talent this season. This guy is still a kid and has allot to offer this team. I would think, and hope that this thing never makes it to arbitration anyway. I have faith in KH and the Wings org to come up with a deal that makes everyone happy. I would venture to say 1.5 to 2.0 mil for two year deal no arbitration, keeps our cap in line !

I hate to say it but some of the old timers need to be looking to move on. I like em all , but this team has to much young potential to be stuck in the past. I mean DM, Cheli, and several others.

Filppula is 24 years old, same as Hudler. His stats aren't any better than Hudler's even though he gets a ton more ice time, please enlighten me as to why you all think he is worth 2 to 2 1/2 times as much as Hudler.

Filppula is better defensively and he is physically stronger. Offensively, Hudler is better. But, Filppula is a small part on this team and it really won't matter what happens with him in the long run.

I would be just as happy with this second line instead:

Hudler-Franzen-Hossa

Am the only one who think Filpulla is being slightly selfish if doing this purely to get more money?

To begin with, he already earns more than needed to have a great life, and secondly and more importantly if he ends up getting more it could mean other guys like Downey and McCarty could be out of a job altogether if his higher pay takes up too much of the cap.

He didnt exactly have the greatest season to deserve a high pay either.

Am the only one who think Filpulla is being slightly selfish if doing this purely to get more money?

Yes. As stated earlier in the thread, him filing for arbitratration is a mere formality. He will remain a Red Wing.

Yes. As stated earlier in the thread, him filing for arbitratration is a mere formality. He will remain a Red Wing.

Seconded, it's just like Fleury did with Pitt.. to allow more time for negotiations. If it does actually go to hearing, the better for us.

I guess the opinions are 50-50 on this one, but personally I think Flip would be a terrible player to lose. He's a young player who shows the potential to be a magician later in his career with a little more time and training. As far as the whole arbitration thing, I have a good feeling that Holland (speaking of magicians) will be able to work something out.

I don't think anyone wants to loose him, I certainly don't it's just a matter of how much you are willing to pay him. He may turn into a Datsyuk or a Zetterberg in time but the Red Wings are a team that isn't built of salary chasers. If that's your goal then go play somewhere else, if you want to be a Red Wing for life well then get in where you fit in. It remains to be seen which is more important to Flip. Remember a lot of us thought unfairly of Datsuyk that he was a money chaser when he signed in Russia and almost didn't come back here as an RFA. Then he proved us wrong by taking a long term deal under market value for his second contract. Let's just wait this whole thing out and see...it could be a good or a bad thing.

I can see I'm definetely in the minority. It wouldn't bother me to see Flip walk. It would free up a little $$$ cap-wise, and would also allow guys like Helm, Hudler, Mac, and Downey more of a chance to play.

Like Majsheppard above me said, if it goes to arbitration and he's awarded bigger $$$ than Kenny wanted to shell out, it could be a problem.

You'd prefer Mac or Downey over Flip? You must be one of those guys that are stuck in the past. Fighting is pretty much gone from the game replaced by goal scoring.........

Filppula is better defensively and he is physically stronger. Offensively, Hudler is better. But, Filppula is a small part on this team and it really won't matter what happens with him in the long run.

I would be just as happy with this second line instead:

Hudler-Franzen-Hossa

Flip is a small part now but a big part of the future. Hudler is not nearly as good defenively. I'd take Flip over Rex in a heartbeat.

Some are missing the point that there are some extra D that can be moved to free up some space and money if need be - Holland has been in this situation before I think and he has all possibilities worked out I am sure...

Flip will resign

McCarty will resign

Downey will ??

- All this fighting is no longer part of the game and scoring is the future is BS... Every dimension of hockey is part of the entire game and puzzle...

Let's please be more realistic...

Edited by Rivalred

Some are missing the point that there are some extra D that can be moved to free up some space and money if need be - Holland has been in this situation before I think and he has all possibilities worked out I am sure...

Flip will resign

McCarty will resign

Downey will ??

We have more then enough to re-sign Filppula, its just how much do you wanna give the guy...He isn't worth more then 3 million at this moment, and wings have about 4 million to spend.

We have more then enough to re-sign Filppula, its just how much do you wanna give the guy...He isn't worth more then 3 million at this moment, and wings have about 4 million to spend.

Exactly - hence the arbitration and the ability to avoid it by resigning him before - by him filing it was meant to deter other teams not to sending contract offers - basically so other teams got the message to back off...

The arguing that is going on in this thread of late is between let Flip walk because fighting is more important and then others are saying scoring is more important as fighting is dead...

- Which it all boils down to - how much is he going to make - and then how much does Holland have left over to sign the rest over players like Cheli and company - which they will have to wait like the article stated...

At this point it is a waiting game and anything additional we can get out of it is a bonus - as the team is pretty much the same except that Drake may retire, Downey ??, and Hasek retired... The Hossa addition was a big bonus may I add...

I digress... Thread is about Flip and how much he may make...

Edited by Rivalred

Flip is a small part now but a big part of the future. Hudler is not nearly as good defenively. I'd take Flip over Rex in a heartbeat.

We've got defensively sound players coming out of our ears. Defense can be taught. Offense and hands/touch not so much.

You'd prefer Mac or Downey over Flip? You must be one of those guys that are stuck in the past. Fighting is pretty much gone from the game replaced by goal scoring.........

I dont like you.

Side Note* With the aquisation of Hossa, does this mean that we may actually skip signing Chelios again? I remember Holland saying how close he was getting the guy back, but now with the reduced salary space, has he re-considered? I guess it all comes down to how much Filppula signs, and once thats out of the way see how much is left for all the "spare tools".

Guest Four
Side Note* With the aquisation of Hossa, does this mean that we may actually skip signing Chelios again? I remember Holland saying how close he was getting the guy back, but now with the reduced salary space, has he re-considered? I guess it all comes down to how much Filppula signs, and once thats out of the way see how much is left for all the "spare tools".

Hopefully Filppula signs for only 1.5-2M and we're all set.

It could potentially throw a wrench in things, sure. Chelios doesn't have the "luxury" of having performance bonuses tied into his contract that could be bumped to 2009-10 because the CBA can technically expire after this season (though everyone is certain it will get extended.)

So if Chelios were to get bonuses, the Wings have to allow space for those bonuses to be hit next season, whether he hits them or not.

Actually I'm a girl. Hence the name ChelisCHICK.

I didn't say I would prefer. I said if he walked it would free up some $$$. I"m not entirely sold on Flip as a top 6 player yet. And I certainly don't want him to be awarded ridiculous money if it goes to arbitration because I don't think he's worth it.