• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest nutz2u

Logan Pyatt

Rate this topic

Guest nutz2u

There is a nice article about Pyatt @ Faceoff.com, if someone that knows how to bring it over (which I don't) would do so I think a lot of Wings fans would enjoy the read.

Wings like Pyett's growth

Camp opens for rookies in Detroit

Dave Waddell, Windsor Star

Published: Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Logan Pyett had already plunged deep into the depths of disappointment during the 2006 NHL draft and was wallowing in a sense of hopelessness when the Detroit Red Wings took to the podium to announce the second-last pick of the entire draft.

With the 212th selection overall, the Wings picked Pyett because he reminded them of another skilled, undersized defenceman named Brian Rafalski.

Rafalski has since arrived in Detroit and Pyett is rapidly progressing towards realizing his dream of joining him there in the next few years.

"When I was drafted later I was disappointed," said Logan of the genesis of his determination to change his approach to hockey and life.

"I wasn't the most mature kid. I didn't take a lot of responsibility away from the rink. At the rink I was kind of selfish.

"But I knew I could be as good as some of the guys that went in the first round."

Pyett went from claiming to know he could match top-end talent to proving it. Just ask Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill.

"I think Logan Pyett (has improved the most of our prospects)," Nill said Monday after the first day of Detroit's developmental camp being held this week at Joe Louis Arena.

All-star talent

"Logan was one of the last picks of the draft three years ago and last year he was a first-team all-star in the Western League.

"He played in the Canada-Russia series. He played for Canada in the World Juniors.

"That's pretty good progress for a seventh-round pick."

Pyett is just the latest prospect that's threatening to swell the Wings' rapidly inflating reputation for finding gems late in the draft. The Balgonie, Sask. native is destined to play next season in the AHL in Grand Rapids where he well could be the teammate of Jonathan Ericsson, who was the last pick of the entire 2002 NHL draft.

Talk about a potential back-of-the-class backend for the Wings.

"I just got my foot in the door when I was drafted," Pyett said.

"I came here my first camp (July 2006) and I saw what it took. I made a decision from there that I had to work hard and prove to everyone that I could be as good as those high picks.

"I still have a long ways to go to be a good late-round pick for them like Zetterberg and those guys and play with them maybe one day."

Pyett said the style of play the Wings teach throughout their system is a perfect fit for him. He points out the player he models himself after (Rafalski) has proven that.

"I look up to Rafalski because he's not a very big guy, about the same size as me," said the five-foot-11, 198-pound Pyett, who actually has an inch or two on Rafalski.

"He's just very solid defensively with his body positioning and where his stick is. He's always in the right spot and takes out players that way not hammering them into the boards.

"At the same time he moves the puck very well, gets up in the play and contributes on offence. That's who I try to pattern myself after."

Added responsibility

Just how far Pyett has come since being drafted was evidenced last fall when he was made captain of his Regina major junior club.

The added responsibility didn't hinder his offensive production at all as the 20-year-old produced 20 goals and 54 points and was a plus-28.

"He's overall maturement (has been the most impressive)," Nill said.

"He's always had pretty good skills. He's better in his own end now.

"Just the whole package has come together for him now."

With the NHL clearly tracking toward the mobile, skilled, puck handler on the blueline, the Wings reminded Pyett this week of exactly who he needs to model himself after to reach the bigtime.

"We were talking to him last night and told him Brian Rafalksi isn't as big as he is," Nill said.

"Brian Rafalski is a great player and we're hoping he gets to that level now. You need the puck-moving defencemen. I think our Stanley Cup championship proved that."

Guest Dump-N-Thump

if there wasn't a log jam already, i would say hey thats awesome he's a future wing it looks like.. But the 10 year outlooks for D in detroit looks glim.

http://griffinshockey.com/team/roster/inde...l?player_id=121

Lives in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan…Best friend in hockey is Justin Bernhardt…Greatest hockey memory is winning the 2008 World Junior Championship…Hockey idol as a youth was Doug Gilmour…Greatest influence on his career was his parents…First job was pumping gas…Most exciting place he’s visited is Las Vegas…Played volleyball, basketball, football, soccer, baseball and track growing up…Once met actor Josh Hartnett and Tigers great Willie Horton…Favorite food is his mom’s ham, broccoli and rice casserole…Favorite music artists are Kings of Leon…Favorite movies are The Dark Knight and Pulp Fiction…Favorite TV show is Lost....Favorite web sites are imdb.com and yahoo.com…Favorite book is The Dirt by Motley Crue…Favorite vacation spot is his cabin…Roots for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers…Favorite sport to watch besides hockey is football…Enjoys boating, golf and movies.

I really liked what I saw from Pyett this past year. Played in all situations and did well. I know people like to throw around Rafalski's name when it comes to Pyett but I don't know if I'm ready to project him like that yet.

As much as Kindl has impressed me by looking NHL-ready in terms of his bulk and ability to win board battles and one-on-one battles for the puck, make superb outlet passes and get up and down the ice while remaining in good position, Logan Pyett’s making a very quiet push.

He was a more offensively-minded defenseman in the WHL, but he’s more of a utilitarian, albeit slightly undersized, and between the fact that Pyett’s turned from a pipsqueak to an over-muscled young man, his simple, no-frills and very evidently physical approach to playing as a “glue guy” defenseman, i.e. someone who has the offensive chops to pinch in and when necessary, but is generally committed to not being noticed, save when he smashes someone into the boards, is very impressive.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/a2y/comments/the_second_day_of_the_red_wings_training_camp_everythings_situational_the_a/

http://redwingscentral.com/stories/2010_09/20_Roundup.php

PYETT GAINS CONFIDENCE

Logan Pyett had a bounce back season with Grand Rapids in 2009-10, playing top-four minutes and piling up nine goals and 21 assists for 30 points.

"I made improvements on my rookie year," said Pyett, who had a disastrous AHL freshman campaign. "I was able to contribute a bit more and handle my ice time a bit better. I needed to improve my play in the defensive zone and that came with confidence."

With the likely departure of Jakub Kindl to Detroit, the 22-year-old will be asked to shoulder a heavier load on a blue line that could feature one or both of Derek Meech and Doug Janik and prospects Brendan Smith and Brian Lashoff, among others.

"There's other guys coming up who are certainly very skilled," Pyett said. "These guys are going to be pushing me and challenging me for ice time. I think it's going to be competitive and I will have to earn my ice time like I did last year."