#22 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (MrSandMan @ October 22, 2008 - 06:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This Conklin kid is amazing.

Ozzie better be on his game, because we have an adequate #1 in Conklin. I was going to make a thread about the kid in his first debut game in red and white, without his stellar performance in that game, we could have easily lost.

Maybe Babs should split games between Ozzie / Conklin and let their performance decide who's #1. biggrin.gif

"This kid" is 32 years old. tongue.gif

Conklin did a great job for the Pens last year and is keeping it up here, it looks like. I don't know about #1 though. He could either be a potential starter or a Manny Legace in the making.

#23 MrSandMan

MrSandMan

1st Line Sniper

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (haroldsnepsts @ October 22, 2008 - 10:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"This kid" is 32 years old. tongue.gif

Conklin did a great job for the Pens last year and is keeping it up here, it looks like. I don't know about #1 though. He could either be a potential starter or a Manny Legace in the making.

He's a "kid" compared to what we're used to *cough**Hasek**cough*.

He's a nice motivator to keep Ozzie on his toes and bring his "A" game. You remember how well Oz did last year competing with Hasek.
X X X X - X X X X - X X O O - O O O O

The road to the Stanley Cup runs thru HockeyTown!

Show no mercy, leave no doubt!

#24 interminded

interminded

Shiny Happy People

• HoF Booster
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE (MrSandMan @ October 22, 2008 - 08:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This Conklin kid is amazing.

Ozzie better be on his game, because we have an adequate #1 in Conklin. I was going to make a thread about the kid in his first debut game in red and white, without his stellar performance in that game, we could have easily lost.

Maybe Babs should split games between Ozzie / Conklin and let their performance decide who's #1. biggrin.gif

Conklin is a nice guy and had a great run last year in Pittsburgh when he practically saved their season when Fleury was out.
But other than that he has never shown any signs of being a undisputed starter.
Not in Edmonton, not in Columbus and not in Buffalo.

Besides that, I do think Ozzie has earned the right by now to be Detroit's #1.

I went to buy some camouflage pants the other day but I couldn't find any.

#25 j.hoop

j.hoop

i hate the flyers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (esteef @ October 21, 2008 - 09:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to step on Maui's turf here but "conks"? Is this the official nickname? Which is worse, Conks or Carts?! blink.gif

esteef

looks like conks has stuck laugh.gif
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” - Sophocles
Posted Image

This just in, Stevie gives Canada the Order of Yzerman. Country bows and feels unworthy.

#26 legion25

legion25

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (j.hoop @ October 23, 2008 - 04:00AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What name was written on the back of his helmet? I think it was conks, or something of the sort.

Edited by legion25, 23 October 2008 - 03:10 AM.

#27 The Noodle 39

The Noodle 39

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:44 AM

I say split em and always play them both on a consistent basis. Either one is fine for the playoffs because look at our D! Now when we enter the playoffs which ever one is hotter go with that one! IMO we have two quality backup goalies and with our D there both good choices. I have seen Conklin play before he was here and he's more of a Cujo type goalie and can make a big save here and there and thrives on a lot of shots. Where as Ozzie is a good goalie when a solid D is in front if him thus boosting his confidence on the rare breakdowns our D might have. But too many breakdowns might shatter his confidence and thus you have a shaky and shell shocked Osgood lol.

So when playoffs come if our D is wounded Conks might be the better choice. But if our D was like last Year then Ozzie it is!

Thank you Teeman!

#28 Shutemdown

Shutemdown

Instigator

• PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

I think Conklin would make a fine starter as well...

He's coming up with big save after big save. Last night I saw a couple from him that I thought would definately go in, but nope. He stuffed 'em.

Whether he's destined to stay a reliable back-up or get his call to be a first-string, I don't really care.

I'm just glad we've got him! Two dependable goalies that can come up big. It's all we really need... I hope he gets to play a good amount of games this year. He's earning every one with his play.

Way to go "Conks"! Way to show the city of Detroit you've got skiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllzzzzz.

#29 nerf

nerf

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (legion25 @ October 23, 2008 - 04:09AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What name was written on the back of his helmet? I think it was conks, or something of the sort.

He's been called Conks most of his career. Thats how his team referred to him in Pittsburgh last year too,

#30 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (j.hoop @ October 23, 2008 - 03:00AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ugh....why "Conkblock" hasn't become the nickname of choice is beyond me? That's the one and only way I refer to him.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).