• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Justin Abdelkader

Rate this topic

This could belong in the prospects board but I thought given the whole fighting/toughness saga that is always played out on this board it could be relevant here...

Abdelkader

Griffins' Abdelkader mixes it up in home opener

GRAND RAPIDS -- The Grand Rapids Griffins' home opener was a hard-fought game -- quite literally for Justin Abdelkader.

The former Mona Shores and Michigan State standout got into his first fight in a Griffins uniform during the team's 6-4 win over the Hamilton Bulldogs at Van Andel Arena on Saturday night.

With 4:39 left in the second period, Abdelkader laid a check on the Bulldogs' Greg Stewart while going after a puck in the Griffins' zone. As the puck moved toward the blue line, Hamilton's Mike Glumac took down Abdelkader and the two tussled for a few moments on the ice.

Abdelkader was hit with boarding and fighting penalties, while Glumac drew a game misconduct to go with instigating and fighting penalties.

"He came right after me and threw his stuff off, so I was like, 'All right, here we go,' " Abdelkader said. "You just have to try and be ready for that kind of stuff."

Abdelkader said it was his first fight since juniors -- fighting isn't allowed in college -- and he felt a little rusty.

But he wasn't too worried about his parents might say after they witnessed the scrum during their son's debut in Grand Rapids. "I don't care," Abdelkader said, smirking. "Whatever."

Abdelkader also scored his third goal of the season 3:19 into the first period. While on the power play, he tipped a Jonathan Ericsson shot past Bulldogs goaltender Marc Denis to put the Griffins up 2-0.

I'm sure this will please a few of the posters around here to know that we have a young prospect who is prepared to drop the gloves and stand up for himself. So not only will he play physical but he has 2 goals for 4 points in as many games to start his pro career. I’m pretty excited about this kid and I bet he is called up at some stage this season.

Good stuff. If the kid develops into a brusier, ding ding ding, we have a winner.

you mean he gets traded by Kenny for some Euro softie? :)

/sarcasm

I'm kidding but you never bet with Holland... ;)

Edited by akustyk

Jonathan Ericssons blast that Justin tipped in for the 2nd goal.

101b5430.jpg

A few pics of Justins fight, didn't have time to flip to video.

101b5630.jpg

101b5631.jpg

101b5632.jpg

101b5633.jpg

101b5634.jpg

Nice photos, I was sitting there watching it and my friend was hitting my arm telling me to take pictures, but I was to distracted to listen to him.