• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Lidstrom calls himself out

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Honestly I thought he looked good last night and had several Nick Lidstrom moments. Like winning a puck battle at the offensive blueline as he's skating backwards, so if he doesn't make the play he's still in good position to play D (he won the battle and chipped the puck in to another Wings player).

The one bad moment that stood out is the one you're talking about. It's rare to see Lidstrom diving like that because he's getting beat around the outside. Overall though, I had the exact opposite impression in that he seemed more like himself.

Sure, he's making alot of plays. But I counted 4 or 5 un-Lidstrom like moments last night. How often does that happen? 2 failed clearing attempts. Got beat on the outside. That goof up late in the game where he and Drapes overskated the puck, neither one touched it-just miscommunication but not really like Nick to be indecisive about something in his own zone like that.

I just don't think he looks as good as he did last year from a defensive aspect. The nutjobs around here (not you) think that must mean i'm saying he sucks and should retire. Not at all what i'm saying. Just think he doesn't look like the Nick I am accustomed to seeing.

Sure, he's making alot of plays. But I counted 4 or 5 un-Lidstrom like moments last night. How often does that happen? 2 failed clearing attempts. Got beat on the outside. That goof up late in the game where he and Drapes overskated the puck, neither one touched it-just miscommunication but not really like Nick to be indecisive about something in his own zone like that.

I just don't think he looks as good as he did last year from a defensive aspect. The nutjobs around here (not you) think that must mean i'm saying he sucks and should retire. Not at all what i'm saying. Just think he doesn't look like the Nick I am accustomed to seeing.

I would agree with that. Just saying my impression from last nights game was that I though it looked like he was getting back on track. Getting beat on the outside is really the only one that really stood out to me. The others mostly looked like a team out of sync defensively.

I doubt it's the visor. But I do have to wonder why this team is having so many problems being defensively responsible like they were last year, other than lack of focus. The lineup is virtually the same. and the big player they did add is great defensively.

if the wings are now 13-2-3 (after narrowly beating the oilers...but beating the oilers after a steady parade to the penalty box) and they're playing like s***..i feel bad for the rest of the nhl when they decide to start playing. everyone's +/- on detroit is not where it usually is but they're winning...so lets start bitching when they stop winning.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I would agree with that. Just saying my impression from last nights game was that I though it looked like he was getting back on track. Getting beat on the outside is really the only one that really stood out to me. The others mostly looked like a team out of sync defensively.

I doubt it's the visor. But I do have to wonder why this team is having so many problems being defensively responsible like they were last year, other than lack of focus. The lineup is virtually the same. and the big player they did add is great defensively.

Maybe you are right. I guess since it's been obvious that the team as a whole isn't playing up to snuff defensively maybe some of the mistakes are sticking with me more than normal and i'm not noticing as much the good things he's doing.

Interesting about the visor. I always hated cages and visors and refused to ever wear one again once I was out of college. Lots of players swear it affects them. Nick has said otherwise though.

What's really noticeable to me is how many times he's failed to clear the puck this season. Usually that's something you figure he does so infrequently it almost doesn't exist. But i've seen it happen alot. And this is something that is totally on the individual player. All he has to do is wire the puck out of the zone but he's either misfiring or not getting enough ass on the puck. I dunno, he just doesn't seem as crisp as he usually does.

Back to visors. I saw Meech wearing one. When did that happen? And Cleary will probably don one as well for the rest of his playing days. What is it with us. Stevie went to a visor. I believe Maltby did prior to joining the Wings. Drapes didn't for years until the Lemieux thing I believe. Now Lids, Cleary, Meech? I remember it wasn't that many ages ago when the Wings were one of the few teams left in the league that had no players with a visor.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
if the wings are now 13-2-3 (after narrowly beating the oilers...but beating the oilers after a steady parade to the penalty box) and they're playing like s***..i feel bad for the rest of the nhl when they decide to start playing. everyone's +/- on detroit is not where it usually is but they're winning...so lets start bitching when they stop winning.

Very true. And i'm not bitching. Just pointing out that Nick doesn't look like himself totally.

Maybe you are right. I guess since it's been obvious that the team as a whole isn't playing up to snuff defensively maybe some of the mistakes are sticking with me more than normal and i'm not noticing as much the good things he's doing.

Interesting about the visor. I always hated cages and visors and refused to ever wear one again once I was out of college. Lots of players swear it affects them. Nick has said otherwise though.

What's really noticeable to me is how many times he's failed to clear the puck this season. Usually that's something you figure he does so infrequently it almost doesn't exist. But i've seen it happen alot. And this is something that is totally on the individual player. All he has to do is wire the puck out of the zone but he's either misfiring or not getting enough ass on the puck. I dunno, he just doesn't seem as crisp as he usually does.

Back to visors. I saw Meech wearing one. When did that happen? And Cleary will probably don one as well for the rest of his playing days. What is it with us. Stevie went to a visor. I believe Maltby did prior to joining the Wings. Drapes didn't for years until the Lemieux thing I believe. Now Lids, Cleary, Meech? I remember it wasn't that many ages ago when the Wings were one of the few teams left in the league that had no players with a visor.

Maltby still wears a visor, doesn't he?

Honestly I think it's mostly a league-wide trend. But all the guys you listed started wearing visors after some pretty close calls to the eyes.

The reason I don't think the visor would screw him up that much is I'm pretty sure Lids started his career playing with one. And I think Drapes wore a visor after the Lemieux incident, but once he healed went without it. then took a puck to the face and started wearing it full time.

Liddy didnt have his best game last night, but having to defend vs Hemsky and Cogliano has got to be hard. For the most part he locked them down for the first two periods. Hemsky is so damn good, im sure he can burn 90% of all defensemen in this league. I wish he would loose the visor. Its so different seeing him with it on. Plus that ugly warrior gear irritates me too. Warrior equipment for other teams look a lot better than for the wings, they just failed big time with that gross neon yellow inside the gloves.