• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Lidstrom calls himself out

Rate this topic

I'm glad Nick is finally saying something.

For an NHL defenseman, he's been just fine.

But for Nick Lidstrom, six-time Norris Trophy winner, he's been close to god-awful.

Hope this wakes the team up a bit.

we came pretty close against Pittsburgh.

We had them down by three in that game... we didn't come close... we had it buttoned up and done. Then we decided to let the Pens back into the game, either that or if you'll believe the rumblings... the refs let them back in. Either way we had them down and out and all we had to do was play solid hockey for twenty minutes, but we couldn't even keep the puck out of our zone. It seemed like every time we had the puck and a chance to clear we failed. What is that quote that we loved so much last year? "Time in zone creates confusion" or something like that... well the Penguins were obviously listening.

The bottom line is that we need to get better at locking it down. I'm scared to death everytime the other team pulls their goalie, and have been since last year.

Not according to McCarty.

Are you talking about what Mac said in the 97 Championship dvd? Pretty sure Mac goes "He didn't yell, he didn't scream he just said if we're gonna do anything we have to get off our asses and do something".

Good move. If there was any question about Lidstrom's leadership skills I hope this puts them to rest. It means something when one of (if not the) best defensman of all time says he's playing like s*** and has expectations about the next game, and everyone else should also reevaluate how they've been playing also.

I'm also glad this speech didn't wait until February to pop up.

Are you talking about what Mac said in the 97 Championship dvd? Pretty sure Mac goes "He didn't yell, he didn't scream he just said if we're gonna do anything we have to get off our asses and do something".

I swear I thought he said "Then he yelled and screamed and said "hey guys, if we're gonna do something, we gotta you know get off our ass and do something"

I'll check it out when i get home.

I'm glad Nick is finally saying something.

For an NHL defenseman, he's been just fine.

But for Nick Lidstrom, six-time Norris Trophy winner, he's been close to god-awful.

Hope this wakes the team up a bit.

I'm glad someone sees it the way I do. Hes still been doing a ton of great things on the ice as you would expect from a great defenseman, but its nowhere near Nick Lidstrom defense.

I'm glad someone sees it the way I do. Hes still been doing a ton of great things on the ice as you would expect from a great defenseman, but its nowhere near Nick Lidstrom defense.

I have thought that a few games i have watched on tv... but seeing him live up close and personal last game i was feeling really bad for the guy... He was missing passes, not accepting passes, not holding it in at the point, looking very off balance at time behind the play (aka not seen by folks on tv), missing key assignment in front of the net allowing for horrible scoring chances and was clearly getting beat senseless by players going along the boards. My dad who has liked lidstrom for his entire career was even commenting on how out of it he appears.

Like Edicus said... his play is fine for an NHL player... but for a Norris Candiate he should be playing leaps and bounds better. You wont hear this often from me but Lilja was look more reliable out there than the captain.

If he wasn't a seasoned vet on the ice i would almost say he looks neverous and unsure of his play like a n00b.

Edited by OsGOD

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/11/li...imself_out.html

"I think I can play better," Lidstrom said. "I think I can be better for 60 minutes. Looking at the team, that's something the team hasn't done either, so you have to look at the individuals that haven't played well for 60 minutes."

Is Nick asking to play 60 minutes per night? :blink:

Guest CaliWingsNut
Is Nick asking to play 60 minutes per night? :blink:

The game is played on and off the ice at their level.

Lidstrom should speak for himself, because Lilja has been damn near perfect this season and shouldn't be thrown into the mix of players who need to play better.

He's been a beast defensively and hasn't lost a fight all year. What more do you want from your top tough guy?

Lidstrom should speak for himself, because Lilja has been damn near perfect this season and shouldn't be thrown into the mix of players who need to play better.

He's been a beast defensively and hasn't lost a fight all year. What more do you want from your top tough guy?

Lilja has played well so far this season. Last night was the first classic Lilja move I've seen, when he tried a nice slow pass up the middle from next to his own net while the Wings were on the PK. Not surprisingly, the puck was stopped at the blueline by a Tampa player.

When he keeps it simple, he's solid.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I bumped this thead b/c in all honesty, defensively, Nick looked rather average last night. Compared to what we're used to, he played like s*** IMO.

I can't remember the last time I saw him get PWNED like that by who was it, Cogliano? Seriously, when was the last time Nick bit on an inside out move, gets turned around and ends up having to dive/slide to try and not get completely burned?

And the clearing attempts not getting out and the mis communication.

Granted, the whole team is looking a little befuddled defensively at times, but Nick is usually immune to damn near all mistakes. I'm not used to seeing him not be near perfect. Offensively he's still getting it done.

But +3 nearly 1/4 thru the season? Defensive zone issues aren't supposed to happen with Nick but they are becoming more prevelant.

Nick got owned? I also saw people calling him a pylon? He fell down, big freaking deal.

First major facial injury, new visor, new skates, new gloves, new stick. He's playing fine.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Nick got owned? I also saw people calling him a pylon? He fell down, big freaking deal.

First major facial injury, new visor, new skates, new gloves, new stick. He's playing fine.

That's sort of the point genius. And it wasn't 1 game that brought on this observation. He had a number of gaffs in the defensive zone. Since when have you known Nick Lidstrom to fail to clear a puck multiple times in a 1 game? We're near 20 games in and he just doesn't look like himself.

Maybe it's the visor. Maybe its the gear. Maybe its the injuries he's started suffering. Maybe it's his age starting to catch up.

And you're wrong. He's not playing fine. He's playing fine in comparison to the rest of the league. He's not playing like Nick Lidstrom though.

PS: He didn't fall. He dove. And he dove b/c he got crossed up biting on a move at the blueline against a guy with top notch speed.

He dove falling backwards? Interesting. This is all complete overreaction.

18 games, 14 points, no penalties up until last night. Playing less minutes consistently than he has in years. Did Lidstrom look better last year? Sure. Did he look better in the playoffs? Of course. Is he playing badly by his own standards? Nope. One extra mistake a game doesn't warrant all of this craziness.

I bumped this thead b/c in all honesty, defensively, Nick looked rather average last night. Compared to what we're used to, he played like s*** IMO.

I can't remember the last time I saw him get PWNED like that by who was it, Cogliano? Seriously, when was the last time Nick bit on an inside out move, gets turned around and ends up having to dive/slide to try and not get completely burned?

And the clearing attempts not getting out and the mis communication.

Granted, the whole team is looking a little befuddled defensively at times, but Nick is usually immune to damn near all mistakes. I'm not used to seeing him not be near perfect. Offensively he's still getting it done.

But +3 nearly 1/4 thru the season? Defensive zone issues aren't supposed to happen with Nick but they are becoming more prevelant.

Honestly I thought he looked good last night and had several Nick Lidstrom moments. Like winning a puck battle at the offensive blueline as he's skating backwards, so if he doesn't make the play he's still in good position to play D (he won the battle and chipped the puck in to another Wings player).

The one bad moment that stood out is the one you're talking about. It's rare to see Lidstrom diving like that because he's getting beat around the outside. Overall though, I had the exact opposite impression in that he seemed more like himself.

I thought it was Hemsky. Regardless, Hemsky and Cogliano are damn fast.

ou guys are starting to sound like leaf fans. lay off Lidstrom -the best d-man the game has ever seen. you are totally spoiled and are stupid to think that he will not make the odd mistake. have you ever played defense? gee- I would hate to see if the wings were losing- I think the whining would be unbearable- get a freakin' life! :thumbdown:

Guest GordieSid&Ted
ou guys are starting to sound like leaf fans. lay off Lidstrom -the best d-man the game has ever seen. you are totally spoiled and are stupid to think that he will not make the odd mistake. have you ever played defense? gee- I would hate to see if the wings were losing- I think the whining would be unbearable- get a freakin' life! :thumbdown:

Yeah, I have played d. Over 20 years of my life. And I have never seen anyone play the game better than Nick. But he doesn't look as good as he did last year defensively.

So i'm stupid, I need a life and you've been registered here for about 5 minutes but already questioning people's hockey knowledge and tossing out the old "do you play hockey, have you played hockey, blah, blah"

I'm gonna say this one time. You're asking for an internet can of whoop ass unleashed on you. Tread lightly Dorothy.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

Guest GordieSid&Ted
He dove falling backwards? Interesting. This is all complete overreaction.

18 games, 14 points, no penalties up until last night. Playing less minutes consistently than he has in years. Did Lidstrom look better last year? Sure. Did he look better in the playoffs? Of course. Is he playing badly by his own standards? Nope. One extra mistake a game doesn't warrant all of this craziness.

Did I say anything bad about his offensive game or his ability to stay out of the box?

You said it yourself, he looked better last year. Which was the point of me bringing it up. He doesn't look as good in his own zone as last season.

The bold is what I disagree with wholeheartedly. IMO, he's playing fine compared to any other NHL dman. He's not playing up to his own standards contrary to what you think. Wasn't that what started this thread in the first place, him saying he's not playing his best?

Exactly what craziness are you talking about? You can't handle some critical observation of Nick? All I said is he is making more mistakes than I'm accustomed to seeing him make in our own zone and I pointed out how he got beat on the outside last night and had to dive to get into the play.

Yes Heaton, he dove. When you slide across the ice on your belly swinging your stick at the guy who just blew past you. That's called a dive. Maybe you should watch the play again.