#21 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

"Mister Equipment" Arturs Irbe:

Hasek is my all-time favourite player. Here are his Ottawa and Buffalo masks:

When Hasek was in Buffalo around '95 I used to have my walls covered with his posters. There was a poll of the greatest goalie ever in NHL.com and I was amazed to see that he wasn't included. Brodeur, Roy, Hall, Sawchuk, Esposito, but no Hasek. How many goalies have won Hart and Pearson trophies twice?

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#22 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

I'm sorry but I don't like all the chaos on goalie masks. Conklin's octopus and Dom's Wing/wheel design is one thing because it represents the team. But Kill Bill and Darth Vader and demons are going overboard. If I were an NHL goalie I would much rather be plain and simple and wear my team logo than have all this meaningless stuff going on.

#23 Outsider

Outsider

Quitcha B*tchin' Wings Fans.....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Lovin Jiri Fischer @ March 17, 2009 - 03:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry but I don't like all the chaos on goalie masks. Conklin's octopus and Dom's Wing/wheel design is one thing because it represents the team. But Kill Bill and Darth Vader and demons are going overboard. If I were an NHL goalie I would much rather be plain and simple and wear my team logo than have all this meaningless stuff going on.

It's rather telling, isn't it?

The paint job on a goalie's mask is the individual goaltender's attempt to bring his personality to bear - what HE likes/enjoys/finds important. What HE is all about.

What does Oz have on his mask?

Just the Winged Wheel. Unadorned. Solitary. Proud. On a field of red.

Guess Oz knows what's important to him...

#24 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

It's their expression of themselves and their tastes... Similar to anything in the DIA...is it all really needed? no. But is it nice to look at? yes

Edited by OsGOD, 18 March 2009 - 09:44 AM.

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#25 red_wing

red_wing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:55 AM

Masks can do more than that.
Josh Hardin's sister was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and Josh wanted to do something to help bring attention to the cause. (You can read all about it at www.fundthefight.com) Here are some pictures of his mask..

And a throw back to old goalie masks..

#26 DMAC 25

DMAC 25

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Yellow Knight @ March 17, 2009 - 12:24PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I though I heard that he has a new one but did not want to use it b/c of how he has played..

But does anyone know of this news??? Is he going to let go of the cage mask and be like all the other goilies?

it wouldnt be the same haha ozzies always sorta known for his old cage helmet but he just never liked the newer ones

#27 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Lovin Jiri Fischer @ March 17, 2009 - 05:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you... I think the "simplier is better" works better. Brodeur's is a great example. Some of those mask designs are way too busy.

As for Ozzie's equipment, I thought I heard on TV last year that Paul Boyer was using a contact in Russia for spare cages and helmets for him.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#28 hokeychik22

hokeychik22

leapin' lou fontinato

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (Icer @ March 17, 2009 - 02:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recently heard an interview where they said Osgood has a backup supply of the older style mask including a couple they got off e-bay. They don't make that style any more and Osgood wanted enough to last the rest of his career.

good old ebay.