• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernHockeyHoney

Historical Question....

Rate this topic

My daughter and I were talking the other day about the hockey playoffs....and she asked me a couple of questions that I certainly couldn't answer, but I assured her that someone on here would know the answer.

The first question was....(we were both hoping that Nashville would have made the playoffs, eliminating Annaheim...but alas, it didn't happen)...when was the last time (modern era), if ever, that all 5 teams from the same division were in the playoffs?

The second question was.... in the modern era, has any team ever "swept" it's way to the Stanley Cup.... meaning attaining sweeps in all 4 rounds?

Anyone who can help us out, it woudl be great to hear from you.

Guest Shoreline

The question you're wondering about all 5 teams really has no answer because this division setup has not even been around all that long. Maybe 10 years? And I'm sure the Canadiens have been involved in at least a few playoff sweeps way back when.

My daughter and I were talking the other day about the hockey playoffs....and she asked me a couple of questions that I certainly couldn't answer, but I assured her that someone on here would know the answer.

The first question was....(we were both hoping that Nashville would have made the playoffs, eliminating Annaheim...but alas, it didn't happen)...when was the last time (modern era), if ever, that all 5 teams from the same division were in the playoffs?

The second question was.... in the modern era, has any team ever "swept" it's way to the Stanley Cup.... meaning attaining sweeps in all 4 rounds?

Anyone who can help us out, it woudl be great to hear from you.

Off of the top of my head i think the answers are never and no, although if I am wrong i am sure people will line up to criticize me for it lol.

The question you're wondering about all 5 teams really has no answer because this division setup has not even been around all that long. Maybe 10 years? And I'm sure the Canadiens have been involved in at least a few playoff sweeps way back when.

I don't know if they did way back when, but I am almost positive no team has went 16-0 through the playoffs, 8-0 maybe, when there were less teams in the league.....

Guest Shoreline
I don't know if they did way back when, but I am almost positive no team has went 16-0 through the playoffs, 8-0 maybe, when there were less teams in the league.....

The 16 wins thing has only been around for 20 years, since that's when the first round changed from best of 5 to 7. So obviously that (a 16-0 playoffs) has never happened. As for playoff sweeps, which the OP asked for, yes, it's been done at very least a few times, and by the Habs. Maybe some others too.

Edited by Shoreline

NY Islanders went 15-3 in 1980-81

Edmonton went 15-3 in 1984-85

Edmonton went 16-2 in 1987-88

Those are the best records since the league went to four rounds of playoffs.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, only once in post-expansion history has an entire division reached the playoffs in the same season. That was 1980-81, when all Adams Division teams—Buffalo, Boston, Montreal, Quebec and Toronto—made it.

Not sure if this is "modern" enough for you...

52' Wings won it in 8.

This is when the octo throwing started as well.

No one has ever went 16-0

I believe that still stands as the only time a team has swept through the playoffs.

In both 1977-78 and 1978-79, the whole Patrick Division (Islanders, Flyers, Flames, Rangers) made it. 12 of 17/18 teams made it back then, so it was a little easier.

In 1980-81, the whole Adams Division (Sabres, North Stars, Bruins, Nordiques, Leafs) made it. 16 of 21 made it.

Don't forget for a lot of the post-expansion era--for about the first 8 years after 1967 and for the 80s and early 90s--the playoffs were division-based, so it would be impossible for everyone to make it.

Edit: HockeyDB says Elias is full of it:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...hl19271978.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...hl19271979.html

Edited by C-TownWing

This has been asked quite a few times and there were 1 or 2 occurances where 5 teams from a division made the playoffs. That was when there were 7 team divisions before the current alignment of 5 teams divisions.

Also, back in the 80s the teams that made the playoffs were the top 4 in each division. So it was impossible for the 80-81 season to have 5 teams from 1 division.

This has been asked quite a few times and there were 1 or 2 occurances where 5 teams from a division made the playoffs. That was when there were 7 team divisions before the current alignment of 5 teams divisions.

Also, back in the 80s the teams that made the playoffs were the top 4 in each division. So it was impossible for the 80-81 season to have 5 teams from 1 division.

But all five teams from the Adams division did make the playoffs that year. Toronto lost in 3 games to the Islanders, Buffalo beat Vancouver in 3, Quebec lost to Philadelphia in 5, and Minnesota beat Boston in 3. That's all five teams. I've got box scores from every game.