• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kwame_Kilpatrick

Vancouver 2010 Olympic Style

Rate this topic

Olympics Who Will Win  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

which country has best chance to take gold medal in men's ice hockey you think?

sweden is old and nearly dead

russia is young and agressive

canada is canadian

who will win you think who has best chance

i go with sweden vs. russia final, nicklas backstrom takes over for swedes ovechkin shot by sniper

DUDE! You've got to change your name and re-register. Kinda like using Hitler.

One thing for sure is the 2010 Tourney is going to be AWESOME!!! Canada's team is GREAT, Russia's team has got a ton of talent (if they can only come together) and Sweden is solid. Don't be surprised if the US pulls of a metal as well.

It's in Canada, so obviously Canada is going to win. I think Sweden has a good chance at getting the silver medal though.

Russia has a ton of stars, but I'm not sure they have the defense and goaltending to win it. Finland could be a dark-horse.

One thing that I find interesting is that they will not be using a traditional Olympic sized arena for the games. From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong) The IOC and the city of Vancouver decided instead of constructing a brand new international-sized-ice arena that would be used for 3 weeks and then abandoned, that they would just use GM Place and it's NHL-sized-ice surface.

Dunno if that will give any specific country an advantage, but the countries that have fewer NHL players on their rosters will have to make more adjustments than the teams loaded with NHL players like Russia, Sweden, Canada and the US.

Denmark will get nothing at an Olympic level. They can do okay at the worlds because they get their best players, and other teams with NHL players don't. There won't be any upsets on that scale in Vancouver. I'm glad that they're using a North American rink.

Edited by NGKEIB

One thing that I find interesting is that they will not be using a traditional Olympic sized arena for the games. From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong) The IOC and the city of Vancouver decided instead of constructing a brand new international-sized-ice arena that would be used for 3 weeks and then abandoned, that they would just use GM Place and it's NHL-sized-ice surface.

Dunno if that will give any specific country an advantage, but the countries that have fewer NHL players on their rosters will have to make more adjustments than the teams loaded with NHL players like Russia, Sweden, Canada and the US.

Money plays a part.

They had plans to expand the ice sheet at GM Place when they first bidded for the Olympics. The were no plans to build a new venue in the first place.

VANOC asked for permission to leave the ice the way it is now and the IOC said yes. The larger ice sheet would have taken away seats therefore less profits. There will be hockey at the Pacific Coliseum (Canucks' old digs) as well.

GM Place and the Pacific Coliseum are likely to have all refurbishments done before next season.

I think NHL players will enjoy Vancouver as it is in North America and they will have already been familiar with the city from their past road trips.