• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Louisville

Only one reason to calm your nerves...

Rate this topic

Replying to Only one reason to calm your nerves

Red Wings beat the Ducks. We all knew if DRW's beat the Ducks, we can beat anyone.

Pens squeaked by the Capitals in 7, a team that has no defense or depth.

The Ducks would have dismantled Washington.

The Hawks would have taken out the Canes.

The Pens frighten me more this year than last, but those are my blood pressure's saving graces right now. I firmly believe that had the Ducks not played Detroit this post season, they'd be hoisting the Cup in 2009.

I'm calm because Helm has the rocket skates on, we have Mr Lidström on the blue line, and Ozzie in the net.

Oh, and Hossa can smell the Cup. He is now the Terminator.

He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until he has the Cup.

Right on all counts. Only thing I'm worried about is you know the Penguins are gonna go after him. The refs better be on.the.job.

I gotta say here I'm very grateful McCreary's gonna be on the ice. He is absolutely straight-arrow.

Whoa. I just remembered something. When we are at the game in Detroit Wednesday he reffed the game. After Karen sang the national anthem, McCreary stood very still in the middle of the ice, facing the flag and looking up for about 30 seconds. I'm not sure if he was thinking about the game and praying to the hockey gods or if he was saluting the flag in his own way. Either way, it's an image that will stick with me for some time to come.

OK, I'm done now. :)

My neighbor has a Pens flag on the front of his house. The other day the wind blew it right next to the curb where the garbage is picked up. That's sign enough for me!

Seriously though, the experience that this team has in the playoffs is a definite plus. They know the dedication and hard work it takes to win it all!

Defense.

I've said it all along. The Pens have not faced a blueline this deep, playing this well, yet this year. They beat the Flyers and Caps, two teams with arguably no commitment to defense. Then the Canes, who played way above their heads and took out the two best defensive teams in the East before the Pens got to 'em, and they were absolutely spent from the two previous seven game series.

Compare the two teams man to man, and the Wings have the better roster, top to bottom at all positions. There is just no comparison.

Of course I don't expect Pittsburgh to come out on the ice waving white flags of surrender - they're going to play hard and try to prove to the hockey world that Marian Hossa was wrong when he decided to not sign with the Pens so he could go play for a team that had a chance of winning the Cup.

Also, the Penguins haven't really played anyone to the level of the Red Wings yet. Sure, they looked impressive against the Crapitals and in sweeping the Hurricanes, but come on...they're the Crapitals and the Hurricanes. Detroit had a much harder route to the Final and were tested more, especially against Anaheim, and especially game 5 against Chicago with no Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Ericsson AND Draper. And they still won. Convincingly.

It's probably going to be a hard-fought, tough, physical series, much like Anaheim.

But in the end, the Wings will prevail. My heart says five games; my head says six, so I'll go with six. But I'm hoping for five so the Wings can win on home ice. ;)