• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

History on the Red Wings' side

Rate this topic

This is the 11th time in NHL history that the two Stanley Cup finalists have been paired for the following season's championship. Seven out of those 11 times, the team that won the first meeting also captured the second and there’s a familiar pattern that’s been followed which should prove to a positive for the Wings.

In all seven of those repeat performances, the reigning Cup champions won Game 1.

The three times that the defending champs were dethroned – in 1984, when Edmonton toppled the New York Islanders, in 1956, when Montreal downed Detroit and in 1933, when the New York Rangers defeated Toronto – the defending champions lost Game 1.

CBC Sports

I heard on the radio tonight that it's been 38 years (Chicago 71) since a team won the first two games of the finals and lost the Cup.

It doesn't mean the Cup is in the bag, but it's a very good sign.

1 team out of 32 won games 1 and 2 of the cup final at home and lost.

also maggie the monkey never picked the correct cup winner (0-5 record) and this year she picked the penguins.

having said all that, the team that wins 4 games first wins 100% of their series, and i think thats the only piece of history that really matters so lets get 2 more!!

History tends to repeat itself.

As an historian, I have to call this one out. Common misconception. History in fact, only has superficial similarities. Now, I think we all believe the Wings will win and help carry out this pattern, but I'm not counting on them winning because of history.

I heard on the radio tonight that it's been 38 years (Chicago 71) since a team won the first two games of the finals and lost the Cup.

It also means that the Blackhawks have sucked for a while

Another good stat is one I heard on ESPN today.

Of the 44 teams that have won game 1 and 2 of the finals, 41 of them went on to win the cup. The last time a team came back down 2-0 was the Canadiens back in the 70s.