• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
talex

Non NHL market radio comments

Rate this topic

Hi,

I thought you might find it interesting what a popular talk show host in a non NHL market city had to say about the NHL today.

The comments came from Mark Belling on WISN 1130 - Milwaukee, WI - the most popular and listen to guy in the market.

He rarely talks about Hockey probably because of no pro team here, but did talk alot about the Wings last seasons finals and occasionally talks about the Admirals (Nashville's minor team).

His comments were basically that the series is excellent, but that the NHL was stupid for not having game 6 on Today or Weds because of the NBA playoffs, that with the NHL wanting a greater tv market that their scheduling made no sense at all, especially for Monday night (tonight) which would have almost no competition at all, he made some other great points on how the NHL shot itself in the foot with this because it makes it that much harder to reach non nhl city markets.

Just thought you guys here might find this tidbit intersting.

Hi,

I thought you might find it interesting what a popular talk show host in a non NHL market city had to say about the NHL today.

The comments came from Mark Belling on WISN 1130 - Milwaukee, WI - the most popular and listen to guy in the market.

He rarely talks about Hockey probably because of no pro team here, but did talk alot about the Wings last seasons finals and occasionally talks about the Admirals (Nashville's minor team).

His comments were basically that the series is excellent, but that the NHL was stupid for not having game 6 on Today or Weds because of the NBA playoffs, that with the NHL wanting a greater tv market that their scheduling made no sense at all, especially for Monday night (tonight) which would have almost no competition at all, he made some other great points on how the NHL shot itself in the foot with this because it makes it that much harder to reach non nhl city markets.

Just thought you guys here might find this tidbit intersting.

game 6 was not tonight because the "im a celebrity get me out of here" is on

game 2 was not on monday because they didn't want to interfere with Conan late show (and i think celebrity get me out of here premired) it wasn't because of nba

Guest Shoreline
game 6 was not tonight because the "im a celebrity get me out of here" is on

game 2 was not on monday because they didn't want to interfere with Conan late show (and i think celebrity get me out of here premired) it wasn't because of nba

This is true. Why the series did not have the week off it was supposed to have was because of the NBA, however.

people who want to watch the finals are going to; if people dont want to, they wont. i dont think a lot of non hockey people go out of their way to watch anyways

Well being in a non nhl market, I can tell you there are plenty of sports fans that might watch a playoff or finals game, but most casual sports fans are more likely to watch an NBA playoff game if forced to choose between the 2. There are plenty of people here in the Milwaukee area for example that might skip watching a Brewers game for a finals game of the NHL, but not against the NBA. This may be because Milwaukee has an NBA team, but you would think while the NHL is trying to build a larger fan base the competition for TV time chosen wisely. Also you will not get new hockey people if they are watching something else.

I live in Austin Texas... The local radio guy, durring the Sports Segment after Game 4 said "There was some hockey on last night too, but I didn't watch it, nobody cares about it" and then they had a discussion on how the lockout ruined hockey...

The Stars just moved their AHL Affiliate here, hopefully that helps. Before that, everybody just assumed that the "Austin Ice Bats" were the top notch, and they play in the Central Hockey League. (the what? my point exactly)

I consider myself the St. Peter of Hockey down here just spreading the good word. I encourage others in Non Markets to do the same.

I was listening to some sports radio show today that mainly talks about basketball and football. One of the promos said something along these lines.

"People call up asking why we don't talk more about Hockey, The French Open and Women's golf. We reply 'There, we just did'".

It's no wonder the NHL has trouble marketing itself when non-hockey fans put it on the same level as tennis and women's golf. I doesn't bother me because I know how great hockey is. If it was popular I would have to listen to every idiot with a pulse try and give their opinion (kind of like I'm doing now :blink: ).