• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DetroitWhat

09-10 Cap

Rate this topic

Just wondering if anyone has heard when they are going to announce the new Cap. I looked at some news articles from last year and it looks like it was announced on June 26 so I would think it would be coming soon. The NHLPA was supposed to have until today to finalize their votes on the 5% inflater. I would assume that it will come before Friday's draft and certainly before July 1, correct?

Just wondering if anyone has heard when they are going to announce the new Cap. I looked at some news articles from last year and it looks like it was announced on June 26 so I would think it would be coming soon. The NHLPA was supposed to have until today to finalize their votes on the 5% inflater. I would assume that it will come before Friday's draft and certainly before July 1, correct?

Correct. Everyone expects the final number to be released this week sometime before the draft.

I've been hearing June 26th or 27. Things will definitely heat up real quick after that figure is announced...

//conspiracy

It's all part of a plan to give HOlland the least amount of time to work with his cap limits and hopefully hamstring the Wings.

//conspiracy

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/

Salary cap wiggle room may add a few hundred thousand dollars to the 08-09 figure

Posted by George James Malik June 25, 2009 06:38AM

The Canadian Press's Chris Johnston trumpeted the familiar party line regarding the salary cap, which (if you believe Gary Bettman) will reach its final figure for the 09-10 season when the NHLPA informs the NHL whether it exercised its 5% inflator (which it will) on Thursday...

June 24, Canadian Press: [bettman] also said the salary cap has yet to be set for next season, but he expects it to be close to, or slightly below, this year's figure of about US$56 million.

The Globe and Mail's Sean Gordon, on the other hand, dropped a bit of a bombshell regarding the cap-related news that the Board of Governors heard from the Chairman:

June 25, Globe and Mail: The teams also discussed the salary cap for the coming season, which Bettman said is expected to be at or near the $56.7-million set last year, although it could rise slightly.

The governors' meeting was mostly consumed with presentations about the finances of the past season and projections into the future - the league continues to expect the salary cap to fall in 2010-11. Bettman's overall assessment of the meeting was: "kind of uneventful."

For fans of a team like the Wings, which needs all the cap room it can get, a few hundred thousand dollars here or there makes a difference.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I'm hoping the Cap goes up a bit (with the PA inflator) so we can keep Hossa and Filppula.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

Abdelkader-Helm-Leino

Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom

Kopecky

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Ericsson

Meech

Osgood-Howard

If it was to go up slightly it would be huge for us.

I think we'll be fine in 2010-2011 even if the cap goes down significantly for that season, because we'll have a lot of contracts coming off the books (Lids, Malts, Draper, Homer), but right now we need every little penny in order to keep as many guys as possible.

I'm hoping the Cap goes up a bit (with the PA inflator) so we can keep Hossa and Filppula.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

Abdelkader-Helm-Leino

Maltby-Draper-Holmstrom

Kopecky

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Ericsson

Meech

Osgood-Howard

Well then it better go up by 3 million because your 2.9 over the cap with Leino making .875 and Hossa 4mil. Cap increase alone isn't solving our problems.

Well then it better go up by 3 million because your 2.9 over the cap with Leino making .875 and Hossa 4mil. Cap increase alone isn't solving our problems.

Did you subtract Lilja's 1.25 million when you came up w/ith 2.9 over the cap? I can see him getting put on LTIR for most, if not all, of the season.

Did you subtract Lilja's 1.25 million when you came up w/ith 2.9 over the cap? I can see him getting put on LTIR for most, if not all, of the season.

If this ends up happening talk about being dealt a s***ty hand. We really missed him on the PK in the playoffs.

[/b]

If this ends up happening talk about being dealt a s***ty hand. We really missed him on the PK in the playoffs.

The last I read was that he was still having pretty bad headaches. You're right, they missed him badly in the playoffs. His shot blocking ability would have been very helpful.

That isn't something that you can count on. There is no way that Kenny can go out and offer a contract making the assumption that Lilja won't play. It isn't even July yet. It's not like there is no chance that he could be in the lineup for opening night. I wouldn't even think that it is a long shot to see him play in October.

Cap News

Blog: KK Hockey By Paul

06/25/09 at 03:28 PM ET | Comments (1)

via Larry Brooks of the NY Post,

The NHL players union has voted to trigger the 5-percent escalator on the 2009-10 salary cap, The Post has learned.

This means that the 2009-10 cap will remain within a couple of hundred thousand dollars of last season’s figure of $56.7 million.

That isn't something that you can count on. There is no way that Kenny can go out and offer a contract making the assumption that Lilja won't play. It isn't even July yet. It's not like there is no chance that he could be in the lineup for opening night. I wouldn't even think that it is a long shot to see him play in October.

Sure you can. They can be over the cap until the regular season starts. With Ericsson's emergence, I think it's safe to say the Lilja's days as a Wing are numbered if he's healthy and if he's not healthy, he will be on IR.

I think the Wings will go to camp way over the cap. I think they'll sign Hossa and Hudler and then start looking at trades during camp. I still think Filpulla may be the odd man out.

Guest Hatethedrake!
Sure you can. They can be over the cap until the regular season starts. With Ericsson's emergence, I think it's safe to say the Lilja's days as a Wing are numbered if he's healthy and if he's not healthy, he will be on IR.

I think the Wings will go to camp way over the cap. I think they'll sign Hossa and Hudler and then start looking at trades during camp. I still think Filpulla may be the odd man out.

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Leino

Maltby-Draper-Neil

Kopecky

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Ericsson

Meech

Osgood-Howard

This team would be below the current 56.7 mil Cap provided Hossa signs for a 4 mil cap hit and Neil a 1 mil Cap hit.

No way. Ericsson and Lilja play completely different styles. Lilja is a stay at home defensive defenseman and is great at the PK and shot blocking. We missed him badly on the PK in the playoffs. Ericsson is good but the two aren't interchangeable. Ericsoon is more offensively minded.

Lebda is the expendable one, not Lilja. We need Lilja

I did not as we don't know what will happen with him.

Good to see the cap is staying in 56 ballpark, earlier this year people were talking about 2 to 3 million dollar cuts which would have made things very difficult.

No way. Ericsson and Lilja play completely different styles. Lilja is a stay at home defensive defenseman and is great at the PK and shot blocking. We missed him badly on the PK in the playoffs. Ericsson is good but the two aren't interchangeable. Ericsoon is more offensively minded.

+1

I did not as we don't know what will happen with him.

Good to see the cap is staying in 56 ballpark, earlier this year people were talking about 2 to 3 million dollar cuts which would have made things very difficult.

The smart people have been saying this all season long. >90% of the league's revenues were in before the economic meltdown, so it was pretty retarded that some writers and bloggers thought the cap would drop dramatically. Add to that the fact that the NHLPA had the option to inflate the cap by 5% and you're looking at the potential for only a minuscule change in the cap. It's surprising how little some 'experts' understand about the CBA.

Lebda is not expendable by any means. It amazes me that people seem to think Lebdas piddley little 650k is where the corner needs to be cut. Out of 147 contracted NHL defenseman, Lebda ranks 134th in cap hit. Lebda's contract is exactly the type of contract that teams need in order to function under a cap - not get rid of.

Lebda is not expendable by any means. It amazes me that people seem to think Lebdas piddley little 650k is where the corner needs to be cut. Out of 147 contracted NHL defenseman, Lebda ranks 134th in cap hit. Lebda's contract is exactly the type of contract that teams need in order to function under a cap - not get rid of.

True. But if the Wings are trying to shed salary they can't carry 8 dmen again. Unfortunately the two least useful players have retardedly low cap hits. At least that makes them marketable for trades.

This is the salary cap era. Style has nothing to do with it. Money does. Ericsson is cheaper and he has to be on the roster this year. If they make room for him by getting rid of Lebda, as you suggest, they actually GAIN money against the cap. The idea was to try to LOSE money.

I would argue differently in terms of Lebda. For his price tag, he's very valuable. Same with Meech, imo.

I agree that the Wings missed Lilja in the playoffs. I'm not debating that. It's all about money at this point.