• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Carman

Sportsnet Top 50 Players for 09-10

Rate this topic

Does anyone else find Thornton vastly under-appreciated these days? I mean I understand his playoff failures, obviously... But it shouldn't bring him down to the bottom of the list, he's still a perennial all star, and the cornerstone of a talented team like the Sharks. If he did at least a bit better in the playoffs, I think it would have a significant impact on his rankings bringing him to guaranteed top 5-10... But regardless, nowadays Thornton still deserves a spot in the top 15.

Thornton deserves a spot in the top 30, no question, but if we're including goalies and defensemen in the list I can't justify putting him in the top 15.

Does anyone else find Thornton vastly under-appreciated these days? I mean I understand his playoff failures, obviously... But it shouldn't bring him down to the bottom of the list, he's still a perennial all star, and the cornerstone of a talented team like the Sharks. If he did at least a bit better in the playoffs, I think it would have a significant impact on his rankings bringing him to guaranteed top 5-10... But regardless, nowadays Thornton still deserves a spot in the top 15.

I'd agree with that.... I believe he is still #1 in points since the lockout.

I have a feeling he will have a huge season this year with Heatley.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Getzlaf over Datsyuk! Haha, I just noticed that. Again, he's never outperformed Datsyuk in any season, nor has he given an indication that he's ready to step past a dominant player like Datsyuk in his prime. If anything, Datsyuk is poised to take another step forward. Getzlaf will continue to get better, but he certainly hasn't given a logical reason why he'd outperform Datsyuk this reason. But he is Canadian!

IMO, Dats is still the best overall player in the league so in my eyes nobody should be above him.

That said, Getzlaf is an absolute beast. He is that rare toughness and point production that you used to see 15 years ago. Those guys are few and far between now. Not many players can bang out a 90 point, 120 PIM season.

He plays in all situations. He kills penalties. He's enormous and strong on the puck. Good vision, great shot. Very difficult to contain as witnessed by Wings fans more than once.

And, compared to Datsyuk, Getzlaf is nearly a quarter point per game better playoff performer than Dats.

There's alot of reasons why I would rank him in my top 5 skaters in the league.

Would I rank him over Dats? Not likely. But with the game on the line and needing a power play goal or a big penalty kill, there aren't many names that come up before Getzlaf IMO. You wouldn't put AO, Crosby or likely Malkin out on a 5 on 3 kill. But you would see Getzlaf out there. Got a lot going for him.

IMO, Dats is still the best overall player in the league so in my eyes nobody should be above him.

That said, Getzlaf is an absolute beast. He is that rare toughness and point production that you used to see 15 years ago. Those guys are few and far between now. Not many players can bang out a 90 point, 120 PIM season.

He plays in all situations. He kills penalties. He's enormous and strong on the puck. Good vision, great shot. Very difficult to contain as witnessed by Wings fans more than once.

And, compared to Datsyuk, Getzlaf is nearly a quarter point per game better playoff performer than Dats.

There's alot of reasons why I would rank him in my top 5 skaters in the league.

Would I rank him over Dats? Not likely. But with the game on the line and needing a power play goal or a big penalty kill, there aren't many names that come up before Getzlaf IMO. You wouldn't put AO, Crosby or likely Malkin out on a 5 on 3 kill. But you would see Getzlaf out there. Got a lot going for him.

Basically we're on the same page then. He's a great young player but he's still not better than Datsyuk. :)

Where the heck is Mikko Koivu? I mean LOL. Alexander Semin over Mikko Koivu?? Ales Hemsky over Mikko Koivu?? DANIEL SEDIN AT 13????

kthxbai

Mikko Koivu is still a highly underrated player. He'll be appreciated some day, but he isn't nearly as appreciated as he should be right now.

Mikko Koivu is still a highly underrated player. He'll be appreciated some day, but he isn't nearly as appreciated as he should be right now.

Yeah, I'd say by the end of next season he'll be more widely appreciated, probably to the extent of a guaranteed top 20 spot on any list.