• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lnvincible

New Arena?

Rate this topic

4) Never. When Bud retires, I want to hear a recorded "Last minute of play in this period". New guy is not impressive.

Just as long as they hit "play" when there is 1 minute remaining. I love Budd, but there have been a few times where it's into the last minute before he says it. One of the games I attended this year, there were about 30 seconds left before he said it.

I know it's been mentioned in the past, but I've heard the Wings are heading to the Palace for a few years, until a new arena is built. We'll see.

A few comments:

Although Crosby disgraced our arena by lifting the cup there under no circumstances do i want him to be the last person to raise the Stanley Cup at the Joe.

I do agree that a lot of fans go to games for the entire experience. It sucks for us true hockey fans to see one of the last traditional buildings set to be removed. It was harsh to see Maple Leaf Garden go (I live in Toronto) and I hated the Boston Gardens going too. The Joe gives you a real hockey atmosphere and I'd hate to go see Wings games at a new age, modern arena. Unfortunately, the average hockey fan enjoys tha tmore than I do and eventually we'll have to face the sad facts that that will happen.

One thing I can guarentee is that when the Joe is torn down I am buying a f*** load of seats as theyusually get auctioned off.

Also, with grandparents in Windsor, although it is a hole, it would be a cool thing for them to host an exhibition game.

Personalyl I hope the Wings do not play out of Auburn Hills. I'd want them to remain in downtown Detroit no matter what.

On an unrelated note, anyoen hear about those guys from North York, Ontario who bought the Pontiac SIlverdone for $500,000? Now that's f***ed. Slap an ice pad down and let's have the first 60,000 seated hockey rink in the league. Boom! That'll kick start the economy!

A few comments:

Although Crosby disgraced our arena by lifting the cup there under no circumstances do i want him to be the last person to raise the Stanley Cup at the Joe.

I do agree that a lot of fans go to games for the entire experience. It sucks for us true hockey fans to see one of the last traditional buildings set to be removed. It was harsh to see Maple Leaf Garden go (I live in Toronto) and I hated the Boston Gardens going too. The Joe gives you a real hockey atmosphere and I'd hate to go see Wings games at a new age, modern arena. Unfortunately, the average hockey fan enjoys tha tmore than I do and eventually we'll have to face the sad facts that that will happen.

One thing I can guarentee is that when the Joe is torn down I am buying a f*** load of seats as theyusually get auctioned off.

Also, with grandparents in Windsor, although it is a hole, it would be a cool thing for them to host an exhibition game.

Personalyl I hope the Wings do not play out of Auburn Hills. I'd want them to remain in downtown Detroit no matter what.

On an unrelated note, anyoen hear about those guys from North York, Ontario who bought the Pontiac SIlverdone for $500,000? Now that's f***ed. Slap an ice pad down and let's have the first 60,000 seated hockey rink in the league. Boom! That'll kick start the economy!

I never thought about that Crosby raising the Cup in our arena could (potentially) be the last time a Cup is raised in the Joe. That makes me cringe a little.

That said, let's face it, the Joe is old. The Wings are going to get a new arena eventually. It's not even a "maybe" thing. It's going to happen. Probably within the next 10 years too, which if you think about it, is a very long time.

The points that the thread starter made though are absolutely valid, imo. New s*** until then could make a little bit of a difference. Have any of you guys gotten an email from the Wings about their appreciation for you coming to their games? That's what they've got to sell seats? Not going to happen.

But it's not just the Wings that cant sell seats. It's the whole NHL, especially if that team isn't doing so hot. It's the lack of media about the NHL in general. People don't care about it because the NHL gets the scraps in terms of media. Even during the playoffs, you can look at ESPN for a prime example. Sportscenter will show the goals, maybe a couple of good saves, and then say who won, by what score, and then if you're lucky (and trust me, I shudder thinking what I'm about to finish typing) you'll get Barry Melrose's analysis on the series thus far. The NHL is a struggling market, and it shows in attendance numbers all around the league.

Edited by lookalive07

Actually, with the current economy, now would be a GREAT time to build a new arena. Ilitch could get all of his services for very low prices seeing as all of the architectural and engineering companies are desperate for work, and the labor and materials would be cheaper than in a booming economy.

So if Ilitch has the capital to do it, now would be a great time to go for it.

Guest CaliWingsNut

This has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever... The team has been slumping for 1/4 a season, so let's instantly build a new stadium for them! Even if rushed it would be a season or two out. Something to spark the team... HA!

Mr. I is going to be holding on to the Joe for a bit.

Yeah, the new arena needs to be built. Mr. I has the real estate, and has had it for a while now. We all know why he bought the nice big piece of land next to the Fox. The only thing he's waiting for is an economic recovery for the building of said arena. Who knows when Michigan will start to turn around?

Not really... He's more likely waiting for the local taxpayers to forget about their bills for recent baseball and football stadiums. Though the economy isn't a bad reason either.

Sadly it is inevitable that the Wings will get a new arena sooner rather than later. In all hoensty I can't even see the Wings staying at the Joe close to ten years. Obviously building an arena is a long process. I'd imagine it's a minimum at least a two year process from planning and design to construction and that's being super optimistic. Im an engineer and most structure of that size, that need the amount of financial backing to happen usually take 3-4 years from start to finish. That being said, this is the type of economy that promotes growth for financially stable institutions like the Red Wings. I know it seems backwards but as another poster mentioned when ppl are pushing for work their bids will come in lower and you'll get better deals. It's no wonder that within our company, bids are coming in roughyl, on average, 25-30% lower than what would normally be expected because everyone wants the work.

As old and run down as the Joe is, I'll hate to see it go.

Guest ZetterbergFourty

Yeah! Let's go build a brand new arena!! If the construction people work fast enough we can have this s*** open by 2012/13 seaon when it doesnt ******* MATTER.

Guest lnvincible
This has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever... The team has been slumping for 1/4 a season, so let's instantly build a new stadium for them! Even if rushed it would be a season or two out. Something to spark the team... HA!

Mr. I is going to be holding on to the Joe for a bit.

Not really... He's more likely waiting for the local taxpayers to forget about their bills for recent baseball and football stadiums. Though the economy isn't a bad reason either.

How would this be stupid? I think it would have a boost on the community and the players. Dont give me that economy b.s.

..And your telling me your WOULDN'T enjoy a new arena?

Some valid points here, but I attend live games for the product on the ice, and not for all the extra "frills" that some feel the Red Wings need.

I am the same when I go. I go for the game, but we are the die-hard hockey fans that are there for hockey. What I think they are trying to say is get people in the seats by providing more entertainment before the game, during intermissions, tv breaks, etc.... to get people buying tickets again. The average fan is looking for a fun time. If they just wanted to watch hockey they could stay on their couch and do that. What they need is for that average fan to want to come because something exciting and fun is available to see while attending a game.

Does anyone think that building a new arena in Detroit would help boost the economy?

New Arena=jobs for construction, growth of business in the area (considering there isn't much around the Joe), sponsors, etc.

Any money going into American Businesses is a good thing right now.

Does anyone think that building a new arena in Detroit would help boost the economy?

New Arena=jobs for construction, growth of business in the area (considering there isn't much around the Joe), sponsors, etc.

Any money going into American Businesses is a good thing right now.

Especially for all of us unemployed construction workers. Loosen up those purse strings Mikey, I could use a job.